Huskers Hire Glenn Thomas as Co-Offensive Coordinator and Quarterbacks Coach

21 minutes ago, Undone said:

Wasn't it just thumb surgery? And I don't recall that having a recovery time being estimated at over six months.

You're right that he wasn't able to participate in spring ball, though.

Actually, it was a shoulder.

https://www.on3.com/college/nebraska-cornhuskers/news/quarterback-casey-thompson-pretty-limited-shoulder-injury-head-coach-matt-rhule/

Rhule said Thompson is going to be “pretty limited” throughout the spring, still recovering from shoulder surgery. Expectations are not being set too high by the head coach, saying the hope is for throwing to occur at some point. Otherwise, Thompson is still going to be going through rehab.

• Plus1 1

56 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Did I miss the part where Nebraska has a WR this year that is going to be catching 50+ yard touchdown passes in NFL playoff games next year?

Did I miss the part where our QB for most of last year looked remotely capable of completing deep passes to literally any receiver in the world?

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
  • TBH 3
1 hour ago, Mavric said:

Did I miss the part where Nebraska has a WR this year that is going to be catching 50+ yard touchdown passes in NFL playoff games next year?

Sure. Everyone would be better with a Trey Palmer or two. 

But the notion that Hendrick Haarberg or Jeff Sims would have thrown to Trey Palmer just as well as Casey Thompson did doesn't feel right. Chubba Purdy struggled playing with the exact same team Thompson had. 

We essentially swapped Thompson for Sims, and however defensible the move was at the time, it's hard not to picture Thompson outplaying Jeff Sims. Turns out almost any quarterback could have outplayed Jeff Sims. Casey's injuries might have made it moot, and has poor subsequent stats suggest he was never destined for greatness, but thinking him the better QB than the three on the '23 roster isn't a radical take. 

• Plus1 2
  • TBH 2

4 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

We essentially swapped Thompson for Sims

It's not just that. We lost three scholarship QBs (Thompson, Smothers, and Torres), but only brought in one scholly QB to replace them (Sims). That's some questionable roster management at the position where you really wanna make sure you get it right. Imagine if we'd brought in a couple more scholly-worthy QBs. It's not a stretch to think that at least one of them might have panned out as a starter that was at least somewhat better than what we saw last year, and maybe a lot better.

• Plus1 2
1 hour ago, Undone said:

But you're only doing it for 2023 numbers, right?

If I look at Thompson vs Sims in their entire collegiate careers prior to the 2023 season and I adjust for the competition Thompson faced, I'm taking Thompson as the better QB. I'd take him as the guy I'd want heading into game one for 2023 Nebraska.

And if I factor 2023 into the whole career, I'm still taking Thompson, personally.

If you go back far enough and ignore more recent failings, Scott Frost looks like a damn good coach.

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, Toe said:

Did I miss the part where our QB for most of last year looked remotely capable of completing deep passes to literally any receiver in the world?

Apparently you did as we had the WR tied for the league lead in 50+ yard TDs.

• TBH 1
  • Worth a Look 1
1 minute ago, Mavric said:

If you go back far enough and ignore more recent failings, Scott Frost looks like a damn good coach.

Thompson was kind of an injury-prone guy. Hard to say how many games he would have even lasted in 2023.

But Sims was fumbling snaps and turned the wrong way multiple times on running back hand off plays. His play was atrocious even just outside of stats when he suited up for the Huskers.

I can't say that about Thompson's time as a 'sker. But, the entire conversation is definitely water under the bridge at this rate anyway.      :)

• Plus1 2
  • TBH 3

2 hours ago, Mavric said:

37 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Apparently you did as we had the WR tied for the league lead in 50+ yard TDs.

:facepalm: Make up your mind, did we have a good deep threat WR last year or not?

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
  • TBH 2

TL;DR Who gives a s#!t? They're gone.

How do any of the past QB's that aren't on the team anymore have anything to do with the hiring of Glenn Thomas? Whatever happened and whoever we should or shouldn't have kept at QB doesn't matter for how the Glenn Thomas hire shakes out. Let's focus on who we have available at QB.

• TBH 4
1 minute ago, RedDenver said:

TL;DR Who gives a s#!t? They're gone.

How do any of the past QB's that aren't on the team anymore have anything to do with the hiring of Glenn Thomas? Whatever happened and whoever we should or shouldn't have kept at QB doesn't matter for how the Glenn Thomas hire shakes out. Let's focus on who we have available at QB.

Please stop being so reasonable.

I think my biggest concern, assuming we have decent QB play now, is end of game management. I felt that was pretty bad at times, even though we had a lot of practice at it. But one thing that fixes/hides that is scoring more points and being in fewer one score games.

• Plus1 3
  • TBH 2