Trev to A&M

Just now, BigRedBuster said:

True. The money is not an issue. Uprooting family is though. 

It isn't.  If you won the lottery tomorrow you'd move everyone and everything you care about into better digs.

With a couple million dollars at your disposal, you could make that move pretty comfy. And you for sure could provide a landing site that makes that move worthwhile. 

And you could for sure do it all over again, pretty comfy, if a couple million was only part of your winnings. The next month, or the next year.

Moving is a hassle for regular folks. For millionaires, it's easy. 

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 2
  • TBH 1

1 minute ago, knapplc said:

It isn't.  If you won the lottery tomorrow you'd move everyone and everything you care about into better digs.

With a couple million dollars at your disposal, you could make that move pretty comfy. And you for sure could provide a landing site that makes that move worthwhile. 

And you could for sure do it all over again, pretty comfy, if a couple million was only part of your winnings. The next month, or the next year.

Moving is a hassle for regular folks. For millionaires, it's easy. 

Yes, it’s a bigger issue for you and me. But, his parents and kids also have lives/friends/relationships that are hard to leave over and over. 

So, no, money wise, it’s no big deal.  But, I would not uproot my parents if I thought I was only going to be in a place for a year or two. 

• TBH 1
8 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Yes, it’s a bigger issue for you and me. But, his parents and kids also have lives/friends/relationships that are hard to leave over and over. 

So, no, money wise, it’s no big deal.  But, I would not uproot my parents if I thought I was only going to be in a place for a year or two. 

I'd be thrilled if Rhule is here long term. Maybe he's the next Devaney and builds a dynasty here. Sign me up.

But his history and the general trend of our flagship university lead me to be skeptical that moving his folks here is indicative of anything. 

If he's here four years from now, and everything is stable, I'll paint my cheeks red and streak campus from Oldfather to the Union. 

• TBH 5
7 minutes ago, knapplc said:

I'd be thrilled if Rhule is here long term. Maybe he's the next Devaney and builds a dynasty here. Sign me up.

But his history and the general trend of our flagship university lead me to be skeptical that moving his folks here is indicative of anything. 

If he's here four years from now, and everything is stable, I'll paint my cheeks red and streak campus from Oldfather to the Union. 

Admittedly, I had a lot more confidence in him being here 4 years from now, two nights ago. 

But, if that happens, I’ll appoint @teachercd to verify that you hold up your end of the bargain. After all, he’s used to awkward naked moments trying to see if someone is male or female. 

• Haha 1

Can we win some games during the football season this year? 
Are the coaches and players, on a day to day level  affected by this? 
Will our players not lift enough weights, or the coaches not go thru enough film to win some games? 
Will players transfer or will we lose recruits because of our AD loss? 
Will the volleyball team not compete as hard? 
Will the basketball team turn in their jerseys? 

Will our 1 hitter strike out because of this news? Will he not steal a base? 
Will our 2nd team women’s striker on the soccer team not run as hard? 

We gotta think, as a collective group, that  the day to day of coaches and players will go on as necessary to compete in games and practices. The players play and the coaches coach. 

Who the AD is and why it matters doesn’t even inch into the players and coaches competing right now. At all. 

it will affect how things are “run” and the ability to “get better” over the long haul, for sure.
But does anyone think the kids who compete give 2 f’s overall? 
nah, this doesn’t matter overall, in the short term. 

This move hurts us as fans, and we understand that there are systemic problems, needs that should be addressed, that we can get worse or better real fast in the Admin phase of things….

But damn. We need to slow our role on the overall affect of this news. Sun comes up tomorrow. 

• Plus1 1

17 hours ago, Douglas said:

26k that are faculty and students.

UNL takes taxpayer funds.  Take away the taxpayer funds and they can do whatever in the hell they want to do.  Until then,  the BoR needs to hold those at UNL accountable to the taxpayers.

by "accountable" you mean teach what YOU want taught..??  this is America my friend.

• Plus1 6
  • Haha 1
10 hours ago, Madcows said:

While texas is a red state on a national scale, the political meddling (from what a former colleague says who works at a small state school) is fairly minimal. He says there are enough opposing electorates at the state/local level to help balance it out so it doesn't sway too far in either direction for state universities. 

(Trying to not get political)

Abbott signed an anti-DEI bill for state universities (A&M is one) last June that just went into effect a Jan 1.

For public colleges and universities in Texas, Jan. 1 isn’t just the start of the new year. It’s also the day the state’s anti–diversity, equity and inclusion bill, SB 17, will go into effect—a development many institutions have spent months preparing for.

But that preparation has varied greatly depending on the institution. Some universities jumped into overdrive as soon as Governor Greg Abbott signed the bill in June, immediately cutting DEI and related offices, such as multicultural and LGBTQ+ resource centers. Other institutions remain in limbo, unsure what if any actions to take ahead of the Jan. 1 deadline.

https://www.insidehighered.com/news/students/diversity/2023/12/19/texas-institutions-prepare-anti-dei-law-go-effect

• Plus1 3
  • Fire 1

2 hours ago, I am I said:

Can we win some games during the football season this year? 
Are the coaches and players, on a day to day level  affected by this? 
Will our players not lift enough weights, or the coaches not go thru enough film to win some games? 
Will players transfer or will we lose recruits because of our AD loss? 
Will the volleyball team not compete as hard? 
Will the basketball team turn in their jerseys? 

Will our 2nd team women’s striker on the soccer team not run as hard? 

We gotta think, as a collective group, that  the day to day of coaches and players will go on as necessary to compete in games and practices. The players play and the coaches coach. 

Who the AD is and why it matters doesn’t even inch into the players and coaches competing right now. At all. 

it will affect how things are “run” and the ability to “get better” over the long haul, for sure.
But does anyone think the kids who compete give 2 f’s overall? 
nah, this doesn’t matter overall, in the short term. 

This move hurts us as fans, and we understand that there are systemic problems, needs that should be addressed, that we can get worse or better real fast in the Admin phase of things….

But damn. We need to slow our role on the overall affect of this news. Sun comes up tomorrow. 

The only part I'll disagree with is the coaches being affected. The AD is ultimately their boss so there has to be a little concern on who their new boss might be. If there is uncertainty about who will lead them, it could easily cause a coach to start looking around at other schools with stability. Essentially, a fear of the unknown sort of thing. Now that said, you're spot on that it should not have an effect on the players, teams, or on field performances whatsoever. 

2 hours ago, I am I said:

In the long run this won't matter to the athletes as they play the game.  But it is funny that the baseball team gave up 4 runs in the 1st inning on Wednesday.

Glad this news broke Wednesday and not Friday for the basketball team's sake.  They don't need a distraction like this throwing off their gameday preperation.

55 minutes ago, Packerhuskerfan said:

Also,

I think most of us here fully understand this. The political reasons Trev left are a symptom of the overall problem beholden to a specific group.

Also, the state government and University can be FUBAR, and Trev can still be an ahole for leaving. None of it is mutually exclusive.

• Plus1 3
  • TBH 1
58 minutes ago, ZRod said:

I think most of us here fully understand this. The political reasons Trev left are a symptom of the overall problem beholden to a specific group.

Also, the state government and University can be FUBAR, and         ------>Trev can still be an ahole for leaving.<--------            None of it is mutually exclusive.

Agree.  But also thinking about the possibility of a pattern as to Trev's job history;  perceived uncomfortable situations he's found himself in.  I'm asking/speculating, not stating. 

Mark May and Trev got into it more than once about various things (as they were probably supposed to for the broadcast), and things got hot more than once, most notably when Trev was doing a synopsis on a nice Husker win and he remarked at the end, "The Blackshirts are back."  Mark May disagreed very much, Blackshirts always over rated etc,  and laughed in a snickering manner and then turned to him and asked, "You were a Blackshirt, weren't you"  Trev responded, rather reverently as I recall, "Yes I was."  Mark put his pencil down and said, "I rest my case."  Trev Alberts' voice went high, "WHAT DOES THAT MEAN?!"

He was gone in a few weeks. 

As noted in other posts here his job at UNO seemed to have been sprinkled with unhappy controversies. 

I just wonder about him a bit, now.  He's obviously not Drunk Boy Scott Frost losing a job, but... I do wonder if there is a pattern of cultivating discontent.  At best he's found himself in that.. hoping he's not a cause of it is all I'm saying.