2024 Spring Practice Notes - Quarterbacks

18 minutes ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

I know that every player has something to work on I was saying that his things that he needs to work on are probably small stuff compared to what HH and DK have to work on in order to have a marginal lead.  HC Matt Rhule made it sound like he had big stuff to work on just a couple of days before the scrimmage.  He(MR) made it sound like there wasn't a clear cut leader before the scrimmage bc all the qb's had stuff they needed to work on and still do.

Being the leader simply means better than the competition.  That doesn't equal good by default. 

• TBH 1

10 hours ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

He(MR) made it sound like there wasn't a clear cut leader before the scrimmage bc all the qb's had stuff they needed to work on and still do.

So the coach is publicly promoting competition at that position vs publicly anointing a player during his first spring on campus?   Sounds fine to me. 

We all know Dylan is going to be QB1 come game one barring some unforeseen circumstance.  It’s Rhules job to get the most improvement out of all three of them in order to best prepare for the entire season.  Telling the world that Dylan is far and away the best isn’t the way to do that.  

• TBH 2

1 hour ago, Pedro G said:

If DR is the starter, hopefully they redshirt DK. If true that HH has improved his passing and is not as turnover prone, he might be an OK backup. 

Callahan and Sipp were saying it seems like HH is the clear #2 right now, FWIW.

13 minutes ago, brophog said:

If Haarberg is that good, then great. I'm not taking Sipp's word for it, though.

I've seen him play, and I too never believe the stuff that they say anymore.  No offense to HH at all, but he simply should not be at that position.  The fact that we still have him there and at number 2 is not a good sign, but DK gets a pass for being a freshman.  He isn't at #2 out of being good, he's simply the second best option right now.  If DR gets hurt we are in a world of trouble again, especially when they are wanting to sling the ball all over the place moving forward it seems.

• TBH 1
1 hour ago, runningblind said:

I've seen him play, and I too never believe the stuff that they say anymore.  No offense to HH at all, but he simply should not be at that position.  The fact that we still have him there and at number 2 is not a good sign, but DK gets a pass for being a freshman.  He isn't at #2 out of being good, he's simply the second best option right now.  If DR gets hurt we are in a world of trouble again, especially when they are wanting to sling the ball all over the place moving forward it seems.

That's why I thought they should have went after another qb last recruiting cycle instead of just adding 2.  MR is putting all his faith into Dylan and rightfully so but as we seen throughout the years there is a significant dropoff in qb play if the starter get hurt.  I'm in the same believe with @runningblind

50 minutes ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

That's why I thought they should have went after another qb last recruiting cycle instead of just adding 2.  MR is putting all his faith into Dylan and rightfully so but as we seen throughout the years there is a significant dropoff in qb play if the starter get hurt.  I'm in the same believe with @runningblind

The other side of this is.. You have to have a QB willing to just be the #2, which is hard enough to find, let alone find in the transfer portal. What you do have in HH is a guy who doesn't believe in his soul that he's a number 1 at this time in his career. So, in essence, you have a guy that is reasonably ok with being the #2. On top of that, you have a guy that has been around for multiple years, knows the scheme, and has a staff that has some already established twists within that scheme they can work to allow you to be a bit more successful with your limited upside. As we've seen, he is capable of getting you a couple wins in the Big10 in a pinch with the tools he does possess, he's just not going to be able to carry an offense. You'd hope even if you had to patch a few games with HH because DR goes down with a broken leg, it may be enough to get DK up to speed enough to step in if necessary.  There's a bit of "luck" involved with any QB room staying healthy and functional. I think Rhule is hoping for it, but I think he has a reasonable room to work with if catastrophe would hit. Let's be honest, it's a very young room to begin with. I think he knows patience is in order no matter which way things go.

• Plus1 3
  • TBH 1
4 hours ago, runningblind said:

He isn't at #2 out of being good, he's simply the second best option right now.

I'm not drawing that, or any other conclusions about the QBs, until we can see more of them. Right now, the best guys like Sipp can do is rely on gossip from those inside the program. The media gets to see practically nothing.

• TBH 1
4 hours ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

No QB is coming here to be #2!!!!!!

• TBH 3
3 hours ago, Husker03 said:

The other side of this is.. You have to have a QB willing to just be the #2, which is hard enough to find, let alone find in the transfer portal. What you do have in HH is a guy who doesn't believe in his soul that he's a number 1 at this time in his career. So, in essence, you have a guy that is reasonably ok with being the #2. On top of that, you have a guy that has been around for multiple years, knows the scheme, and has a staff that has some already established twists within that scheme they can work to allow you to be a bit more successful with your limited upside. As we've seen, he is capable of getting you a couple wins in the Big10 in a pinch with the tools he does possess, he's just not going to be able to carry an offense. You'd hope even if you had to patch a few games with HH because DR goes down with a broken leg, it may be enough to get DK up to speed enough to step in if necessary.  There's a bit of "luck" involved with any QB room staying healthy and functional. I think Rhule is hoping for it, but I think he has a reasonable room to work with if catastrophe would hit. Let's be honest, it's a very young room to begin with. I think he knows patience is in order no matter which way things go.

Some one ban this guy lol.

I think HH and DK see the bigger picture.  DR was the starter all along. If he has a Good fresh year and a Great Soph year he is gone. HH at the 2 and DK redshirting is what we need.

Heres to hoping we bring in some more Ballers at Qb as well though.

• Haha 2
2 hours ago, brophog said:

I'm not drawing that, or any other conclusions about the QBs, until we can see more of them. Right now, the best guys like Sipp can do is rely on gossip from those inside the program. The media gets to see practically nothing.

While true, we've been fed sunshine for years and it basically never turns out the way they relay.  I'm done listening to it.  My conclusions on HH are what I witnessed in 23. One offseason can't turn him into a QB, but God bless him for giving it his all.  I appreciate the guy, and don't mean to seem like I'm ragging on him because I am not.  This just isn't his position. He is a great athlete that could help this team elsewhere.

• Plus1 2