DE Owamagbe Odighizuwa

Owa still considering NU

LJS

When you talk about recruits who could provide a big late splash to a program's recruiting class, Owamagbe Odighizuwa (Owa to most of us) certainly falls in that line.

Two weeks ago Owa had taken Nebraska off his short list. But it seems there's been a change of heart, as he told reporters at the U.S. Army All-American Bowl in San Antonio.

"I've been thinking maybe I need to give (Nebraska) more of a look," the 6-foot-4, 240-pound defensive end told Scout.com. "Get my mom (around) Bo Pelini and see what they have to offer. It's a great school, great defense. Bo Pelini and the staff really know how to coach the D. Their offense is very young. They're all coming back. They're going to be a good team so I'm just trying to look at things smartly and not miss out as an opportunity."

Owa is given five stars by Rivals.com and four by Scout. Rivals ranks him second nationally among defensive ends and the 20th best player overall. Scout ranks him 14th at his position.

What also makes Husker imaginations run wild is the fact that Owa comes from Portland -- the same town that produced Ndamukong Suh.

"If I end up going there (to Nebraska), that would be another factor in it," Owa told Scout when asked about Suh. "Somebody from my home city being a No. 1 overall pick, and knowing that that coaching staff did that with him."

Still on the table with Nebraska are four Pac-10 schools: Oregon, Oregon State, USC and UCLA. Owa has said he probably won't make a decision until signing day.

Perhaps to some benefit of Nebraska, the Huskers have one commitment down there playing in the all-star game -- Aurora offensive lineman Andrew Rodriguez -- who has forged a bit of a friendship with Owa.

"We've been talking. He's a real cool kid," Rodriguez told the Journal Star Tuesday. "What I told is him is you'd be stupid not to go to Nebraska with the fans that we have, just that defense and all that stuff. But it's not all about just football. He has to think about his family and all that stuff there. He has a lot of things to look into."

You can see both Owa and Rodriguez play in the U.S. Army All-American Bowl at noon Saturday on NBC.

Owa still considering NU

LJS

When you talk about recruits who could provide a big late splash to a program's recruiting class, Owamagbe Odighizuwa (Owa to most of us) certainly falls in that line.

Two weeks ago Owa had taken Nebraska off his short list. But it seems there's been a change of heart, as he told reporters at the U.S. Army All-American Bowl in San Antonio.

"I've been thinking maybe I need to give (Nebraska) more of a look," the 6-foot-4, 240-pound defensive end told Scout.com. "Get my mom (around) Bo Pelini and see what they have to offer. It's a great school, great defense. Bo Pelini and the staff really know how to coach the D. Their offense is very young. They're all coming back. They're going to be a good team so I'm just trying to look at things smartly and not miss out as an opportunity."

Owa is given five stars by Rivals.com and four by Scout. Rivals ranks him second nationally among defensive ends and the 20th best player overall. Scout ranks him 14th at his position.

What also makes Husker imaginations run wild is the fact that Owa comes from Portland -- the same town that produced Ndamukong Suh.

"If I end up going there (to Nebraska), that would be another factor in it," Owa told Scout when asked about Suh. "Somebody from my home city being a No. 1 overall pick, and knowing that that coaching staff did that with him."

Still on the table with Nebraska are four Pac-10 schools: Oregon, Oregon State, USC and UCLA. Owa has said he probably won't make a decision until signing day.

Perhaps to some benefit of Nebraska, the Huskers have one commitment down there playing in the all-star game -- Aurora offensive lineman Andrew Rodriguez -- who has forged a bit of a friendship with Owa.

"We've been talking. He's a real cool kid," Rodriguez told the Journal Star Tuesday. "What I told is him is you'd be stupid not to go to Nebraska with the fans that we have, just that defense and all that stuff. But it's not all about just football. He has to think about his family and all that stuff there. He has a lot of things to look into."

You can see both Owa and Rodriguez play in the U.S. Army All-American Bowl at noon Saturday on NBC.

Not sure if this was posted yet?

This is why we all want him.

http://footballrecruiting.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1036192

Uhh, just thinking on a real common sense level here, has it occured to anybody else that perhaps NU re entered the picture for Owa because of the bowl performances of his short list teams? I mean cmon, Oregon looked bad in a nine point loss to Ohio State. Oregon State got blasted by BYU, losing by 24. USC posted an unimpressive win over an unimpressive BC squad, winning by 11. And UCLA had to rally to beat Temple, one of the unsexiest teams in the nation. Also, even though they've been eliminated, Cal lost. Meanwhile, NU blasted Arizona by 33. Absolute domination. He knew what happened in that game. And you can bet he watched Oregon play poorly in the Rose Bowl. Hopefully, Pelini can work some magic on that in home visit. All I'm saying is, Owa's going to have to sit and think about his future for the next 4 weeks. And its certainly going to be a lot easier to look at NU after their Holiday Bowl showing than Oregon after a poor showing in the Rose Bowl. BCS bowl or no, a poor performance is a poor performance.

Uhh, just thinking on a real common sense level here, has it occured to anybody else that perhaps NU re entered the picture for Owa because of the bowl performances of his short list teams? I mean cmon, Oregon looked bad in a nine point loss to Ohio State. Oregon State got blasted by BYU, losing by 24. USC posted an unimpressive win over an unimpressive BC squad, winning by 11. And UCLA had to rally to beat Temple, one of the unsexiest teams in the nation. Also, even though they've been eliminated, Cal lost. Meanwhile, NU blasted Arizona by 33. Absolute domination. He knew what happened in that game. And you can bet he watched Oregon play poorly in the Rose Bowl. Hopefully, Pelini can work some magic on that in home visit. All I'm saying is, Owa's going to have to sit and think about his future for the next 4 weeks. And its certainly going to be a lot easier to look at NU after their Holiday Bowl showing than Oregon after a poor showing in the Rose Bowl. BCS bowl or no, a poor performance is a poor performance.

Hopefully OO is realizing Neb is a place where he'll be the best he can be and worth the distance. Bowl season can only help that perception.

Great point. Our bowl domination has a lot to do with us getting back in the race with him. I think it helps having A Rod (OL) at the Army game too. Out of the 5 on the list, who is the team that is on the rise.

NU by far. Oregon is close but isn't ironic the guy that cost them the game, Blount, fumbles a sure TD. Two missed FG's. Back to the topic. USC is a mess. On going investigations with Bush and now McKnight. Common opponents. Arizona, we torn them a new one, USC struggled. USC struggled against Pac 10 competition, the better Big 12 teams beat the Pac 10 schools. (OU/Stanford) UCLA is still a few years away and a couple NCAA Basketball pools away from being any good. (Sorry Rick couldn't help myself)

OU and OSU are both close to home but defensively where is this recruit with the 3 letter name going to get better coaching and exposure than NU. Fast forward 4 years and OWA is the next SUH on Espn and Gameday!!! His story is compelling and combine that with great play on a top 5 team, and you have a ratings bonanza. This is not a reason to go to NU but SUH and 60 million dollars is for sure!!!

A Rod told him flat out, you would be stupid not to go to Nebraska. If I was 6'6" and 300 lbs, I would have the guts to say that too but he was serious.

If I had to put a number on a scale of 1 to 10. I would say we are an 8. I will take that going into an upcoming in home with Bo Pelini. I don't know if Bo is going to the game with OWA and A Rod, but don't be surprised if he does go. If he goes, it is a way to show support for both A Rod and OWA. I don't know the rules on him going and if it is considered a recruiting trip.

Thoughts?

A Rod told him flat out, you would be stupid not to go to Nebraska.

Thoughts?

:yeah

You cant blow a team out 33-0 and not turn some heads. They were actually picked to beat us. It felt like we were playing xbox our defense was so unstoppable.

Bottom line if Owamagbe Odighizuwa (spelled it from memory :) ) wants to be in the best position to go the NFL as a top pick then NU is the place.

Like another poster said I think that if we can sell his mom on our program and make sure she knows that he will be in good hands I think we stand a very good chance. It is moreso him not feeling guilty about leaving them IMO.

It seems that if we up and moved the campus to oregon we would have this kid. If distance is the biggest problem im not worried. Offer to get her tickets to a bunch of games, and just sell her that she will still see her baby.

If it were just a decision based on football he would already be ours.

Thoughts?

You cant blow a team out 33-0 and not turn some heads. They were actually picked to beat us. It felt like we were playing xbox our defense was so unstoppable.

Bottom line if Owamagbe Odighizuwa (spelled it from memory :) ) wants to be in the best position to go the NFL as a top pick then NU is the place.

Like another poster said I think that if we can sell his mom on our program and make sure she knows that he will be in good hands I think we stand a very good chance. It is moreso him not feeling guilty about leaving them IMO.

That was me that said that about his mom! Thanks for the props! By the way, i really like your posts, you give great info!

I am still thinking that Owa just needs to hear from his mom, something like "go ahead son, this is your time now, you have helped so much with your family but this is your time and you worked so hard. If you feel that Nebraska is the place for you, then that is where you need to go"

I know that it sounds really lifetime network and everything but I think it is true. From what I have read Owa is a very good kid and wants to be there for his family, he needs to know it is okay to leave. Maybe it isnt, maybe his mom does need him to help out, and that is great too. This kid seems like a remarkable young man.

Thoughts?

That was me that said that about his mom! Thanks for the props! By the way, i really like your posts, you give great info!

I am still thinking that Owa just needs to hear from his mom, something like "go ahead son, this is your time now, you have helped so much with your family but this is your time and you worked so hard. If you feel that Nebraska is the place for you, then that is where you need to go"

I know that it sounds really lifetime network and everything but I think it is true. From what I have read Owa is a very good kid and wants to be there for his family, he needs to know it is okay to leave. Maybe it isnt, maybe his mom does need him to help out, and that is great too. This kid seems like a remarkable young man.

I said it before, but having Carl being the closer would be MONEY............

I'd put my money on Bo any day. Carls fantastic but I just think Bo relates unbelievably well to kids/young men. When parents see how he interacts with their son he wins the parents over too.

I think to get my comment you should take a trip over to Rumorville...............