ATH Curtis Carter

Wow, this has quickly become a meltdown, as all decommit threads do. Get over it, guys. The kid left for whatever reasons he claims. If he can't see how he'd be used in our offense, then I'd just as soon he go somewhere else. Nebraska football will continue on without him.

I feel this way too RedDenver. You hit the nail on the head. It is unrealistic and just not right to pin the future of Nebraska football and/or our offense on one kid. If he doesn't want to be a part of what we've got going on in Lincoln, he can hit the road.

Also, for everyone complainin about how bad the O will be next year: things will change. It will pick up. Bo is just as percepctive to our offensive woes this year as any of us. He's not a moron. He knows something needs to change. I have a good feeling he will either shake up the staff if he deems it necessary, experiment with some play calling himself offensively ( :o ...not as horrifying as it sounds), or have Wats on an extremely short leash after all the crap we went through this year. I have a feeling he'll also push whoever is in charge of the O to define it's identity... WCO/Spread, Power O, whatever. We'll be fine.

bo will definitely be involved in shaping the offensive identity and making sure we see improvement. the guy didn't get to be a defensive genius by knowing nothing about offense. i can't imagine him ever making play calls though (other than CEO decisions like 4th downs, trick plays or overall in-game strategy).

This loss sucks. Right now that is. Tommorrow, maybe. If he goes to missouri, good luck to him. Good luck in the same sense that Gabbert had against the Nebraska D this year. Good luck having a huge game like Shipley had against us this year. I'm not worried at all about losing a kid to missouri. Best of luck to him wherever he ends up. If he comes back here, great. If he doesn't we'll move on.

His comments about the offense are true. To a tee. HOWEVER, he is the one being dumb enough to not realize that things change. We are obviously playing to what the strengths of the team are. Last year that was a lot different than what it is right now. That should impress a recruit showing them that we are willing to do what it takes to win games. This isn't rich-rod/callahan trying to force a square peg into a round hole just so he is running his own system. Nebraska is on the way back, the Texas game showed that. We are going to play strong defense. Seems like we aren't going to be the team that brings in all the flashy players. We're going to bring in the guys that buy into the system and into the team, and i have no problem with that. If you don't wanna be with the program, good luck else where, and when we meet, be ready to get dominated.

This is just silly. You know you wanted C Carter, I wanted C Carter and every other Husker fan wanted him in Lincoln. He was huge for the coaching staff. I think they tried to keep him from taking his Misery visit and it backfired. He told us to stuff it. That doesn't mean we didn't want the kid and we "don't care" that he is not coming here.

And all of this stuff about how we are going to "dominate" him or hurt this player or make them wish they had come here instead of going somewhere else is just happy horses***. We've slipped into one Big 12 North championship and lost close in the CCG in how many years? In your own piece you claim that last year we were fercrap on defense so we were smart enough to play great offense--that makes our coaching staff geniuses since they "adapted". Get real. Football teams change every year, whether pro or college. But in college ball the added diminsion of 4 yrs of eligibility makes the change each year very unpredictable. We had some offensive players last year. This year we have krap. Last year our defense was pretty bad. This year it came together but is a very senior led group. Losing the player of the decade in college ball along with Turner, Dill and Asante will hurt badly. The good news they gave some other players a chance to learn their position without the team getting killed. Next year is totally up in the air until we prove what we can do on D in the PS (post Suh) era..

Crick will not be the force that Suh was, lightening doesn't strike twice. Steinkuler and Crick will be good but neither will require the triple teams, chop blocks and overall mess up the opposing offense. Because of that teams will likely have more time to throw on us. I'd bet anybody our defense will not rank as high or be as statistically sound next year. That's just an obvious conclusion that may not pan out.

Our offense should be better, but where is the great improvement coming from? Kinnie seems to be catching on but who is going to consistantly get him the ball? Can Helu stay sound for a season? If your premise is right, we'll just decide as a team to become an offensive jauggernaut next year to overcome the losses on defense. That aint the way it works.

We need players like Carter and Gabbert and if we don't get them, we will still be whining about the 2009 CCG this time next year while sitting at home for he bowl season while Misery, Ioway State and Ksucks finish ahead of us.

"Being Nebraska" doesn't cut it in this era. We need to have a staff that can recruit the very best players available and get them here and fit them into a system that gives us the ability to compete. The jury is out on whether Bo is going to be good at recruiting or is tempermentally suited to that most important part of coaching. But to claim when other teams kick our butt for a player that "we didn't want him anyway" is whistling by the grave yard.

Do you read? Maybe you should re-read the 1st line. I said this loss sucks. And another thing you should re-read. I NEVER said that we will physically hurt the kid, that's not something that I believe in, its childish. I said we will come out and dominate missouri. We will. But guess what, if we don't get him, we aren't going to be sitting this time next year saying wow, I really wish we would of gotten Curtis Carter. If someone doesn't want to come here what good are they going to do us? If you want to put your life on the fact that we will be in a bowl game next year let's go ahead and do that. You saying we'll be sitting at home crying about this past year is a joke. Have you looked at our schedule next year? And our defense may not be top 3, but it will be top 15. And returning a bunch of players on offense will help the offense pan out better than this year. Maybe you haven't realized but we are getting some guys on defense that look like absolute studs. So yes, it does suck that Carter de-commits, but it ISNT THE END OF THE WORLD. Just like it wasn't the end of the world that we lost older Gabbert. Just like it wasnt the end of the world that we lost Freeman. Stop over reacting and treating it like the world is coming to an end.

Also, where is my premise that we just "decide" what we're going to do as either offensive or defensive? My premise was that on the offensive side of the ball, the coaches figure out what works best, and go with that. Last year they came out trying to pound the ball, that didn't work. After the mizzou debacle, we came out, controlled the clock, ran more zone read and screens and little slants to the wide outs. That was the strength of that senior laden offense. This year we came out trying to do that, it didn't work. Our biggest 'success' we had on the offensive side was trying to pound the ball and working off of play action for that. That has nothing to do with defense. And as far as our defense from last year, maybe you should go compare 07-08. Our defense was GREATLY improved in the FIRST YEAR under a new staff. The defense will be just fine next year.

Ok, guys here it is, plain and simple: The Carter loss blows. He could've brought alot a speed to the offense. Who knows how good he is really going to be for whatever teams he plays for next year. He may redshirt. He might become a playmaker, might not. But I refuse to believe our offensive inneptitude has to do with lack of talent. I think it is poor coaching on mainly Gilmore's and Cotton's parts. Possibly Wats. We will get better somehow. Anybody thinking the loss of CC is gonna cost us the CCG,, take a good hard look at yourself>>> :moreinteresting Wake the heck up.

Here's my take on this. Would have loved to have CC but if he doesn't see himself fitting here, then let him go and get someone that does fit here.

The deal is that I am at the point where I want persons that can see themselves winning with us and what we are doing. If we align everything into a team focus and winning, then the rest is gravy, the accolades will come, and so will getting a shot at the next stage. We just need to win. You win here and you are legend. That is not the case at MU and KU. Yes, we eventually need to get playmakers like we all believe CC can be so that hurts in that if we don't get the playmakers we still will have limits on potential. I am looking for players that put winning first and know everything else follows. Tebow knows this. We have guys that know this. I think Burkhead is a guy who knows this. CC? Not so sure. Is he putting emphasis with MU because he really thinks they are going to compete for the big time...or does he see MU or TCU as stop to get to next level? Been there, done that...how is that workin' for ya? On one hand I am not criticizing the guy for believing we didn't align with what he wanted to do (so be it and go find the school where you fit)...but I would not really be surprised if he is putting self-interest above all (instead off committing to a program that he knows he can help to win).

Play to win and it all comes together. We have the luxury now of finding top guys that will get this on the defensive side of the ball. You really think Pelini is going to be too interested in guys that want to come now based on self-interest to get to next level? Sure, there will be some incredible talent that he will take because he believes he will mold them to the team focus. What we really need is those breakthrough guys that can commit to the offense because they know they can contribute to win. I see Burkhead as one of those guys, OT Moore in next year's class, we shall see with Aaron Green also. CC? Not so sure this guy ever had it.

Here's my take on this. Would have loved to have CC but if he doesn't see himself fitting here, then let him go and get someone that does fit here.

The deal is that I am at the point where I want persons that can see themselves winning with us and what we are doing. If we align everything into a team focus and winning, then the rest is gravy, the accolades will come, and so will getting a shot at the next stage. We just need to win. You win here and you are legend. That is not the case at MU and KU. Yes, we eventually need to get playmakers like we all believe CC can be so that hurts in that if we don't get the playmakers we still will have limits on potential. I am looking for players that put winning first and know everything else follows. Tebow knows this. We have guys that know this. I think Burkhead is a guy who knows this. CC? Not so sure. Is he putting emphasis with MU because he really thinks they are going to compete for the big time...or does he see MU or TCU as stop to get to next level? Been there, done that...how is that workin' for ya? On one hand I am not criticizing the guy for believing we didn't align with what he wanted to do (so be it and go find the school where you fit)...but I would not really be surprised if he is putting self-interest above all (instead off committing to a program that he knows he can help to win).

Play to win and it all comes together. We have the luxury now of finding top guys that will get this on the defensive side of the ball. You really think Pelini is going to be too interested in guys that want to come now based on self-interest to get to next level? Sure, there will be some incredible talent that he will take because he believes he will mold them to the team focus. What we really need is those breakthrough guys that can commit to the offense because they know they can contribute to win. I see Burkhead as one of those guys, OT Moore in next year's class, we shall see with Aaron Green also. CC? Not so sure this guy ever had it.

Sorry, but if we keep claiming it's about the kids that decommit rather than something wrong with what they are seeing in Lincoln, we will soon suck. The kids leaving are not of any less character than the kids committed and will come to Lincoln next spring or summer. They saw something they didn't like. I think it is not just our inept offense but the total chaos as to what is going to be done with the offense. Bo's tirades toward staff and players on the sidelines don't help create the "Husker familY" that many are sold by recruiters. If Bo decided as I'm told Mack Brown does and tell these two players looking around "If you look around you are no longer wanted at NU", he screwed up because they called his bluff.

Now those two are water under the bridge. It is now only a few weeks to signing day. Our offense is the worst I've seen period. And what do we have in a recruiting class? A great home grown OL, A TE from Texas that played for a running team and caught very few passes and a two star reciever homegrown.

We have now lost 3 four star offensive players. We certainly won't be finding 3 four star offensive players to come in this class to take their places. Talking about who we might get in the 2011 class is silly. We need skill players in this class!!

At some point we need to stop blaming the recruits leaving and look at the friction, tension and chaos on our team.

Pick an offense, pick the coaches to run it, commit to the philosphy and don't belittle those trying to get it done in public. That would help attract highly talented kids more than anything.

Sorry, but if we keep claiming it's about the kids that decommit rather than something wrong with what they are seeing in Lincoln, we will soon suck. The kids leaving are not of any less character than the kids committed and will come to Lincoln next spring or summer. They saw something they didn't like. I think it is not just our inept offense but the total chaos as to what is going to be done with the offense. Bo's tirades toward staff and players on the sidelines don't help create the "Husker familY" that many are sold by recruiters. If Bo decided as I'm told Mack Brown does and tell these two players looking around "If you look around you are no longer wanted at NU", he screwed up because they called his bluff.

Now those two are water under the bridge. It is now only a few weeks to signing day. Our offense is the worst I've seen period. And what do we have in a recruiting class? A great home grown OL, A TE from Texas that played for a running team and caught very few passes and a two star reciever homegrown.

We have now lost 3 four star offensive players. We certainly won't be finding 3 four star offensive players to come in this class to take their places. Talking about who we might get in the 2011 class is silly. We need skill players in this class!!

At some point we need to stop blaming the recruits leaving and look at the friction, tension and chaos on our team.

Pick an offense, pick the coaches to run it, commit to the philosphy and don't belittle those trying to get it done in public. That would help attract highly talented kids more than anything.

I cant possibly see a way that you could be more wrong about this.

Billyball, I got to tell you man, you sound a lot like a BRBer to me. Look at your 4 star talent, cause guess what, it started at QB this year, how did it look?

It is amazing that people that dont do this for a living, still want to tell people who do it for a living how to do things all the time.

For what it's worth, I think I pegged this guy pretty much right. Husker Journal:

DECEMBER 9 2009. MESSAGE BOARDS

CURTIS CARTER, ATH, 5-10, 170, 4.4, STONEWALL (NORTH DE SOTO), LOUISIANA

Carter De-Commits

“The more I think about it (NU Commitment) distance bothers me. At first when I first visited Nebraska was fine as time went by it was reality that I will be far away from home with my family. That was kind of a big deal to me.” Carter said

“Nebraska now kind of runs the ball a lot they recruited me as a slot receiver. Also it’s a comfort thing I only took one trip I don’t have it (NU Visit) to compare it with.” Carter said

Show Me Now

“Nebraska’s offense kind of bothers me a little bit.” Carter said, “I talked it over with Coach J P (Papuchis) my recruiting coach. He understood where I was coming from. I’m still committed but I have second thoughts. Coach Gilmore, I sat down with him on my recruiting visit how they would use me but I would like to see it first hand, like now.”

Missouri Visit

“I’m going to Missouri on Friday,” Carter said, “That’s a big recruiting day they are going to have a lot of guys there. I’ve haven’t set anything official yet with TCU but I’m going to talk with the coaches.” Carter said

‘Missouri chucks the ball around man if you want to play receiver that’s the school to go too. Like I say they (Missouri) spread out the ball a lot, a lot of different guys, different formations. I have early playing time coming in at Missouri and the staff is great.” Carter said

“I hear from Coach Odom (Missouri) a lot even when I committed to Nebraska we still talked and stuff like that.” Carter added

TCU In The Running

“TCU attracts me it’s close to home only three and a half hours away. TCU is good they are good. The receiver coach (Burns) is a real nice guy he’s been on me since day one.” Carter said

Carter said he is only looking at Nebraska, Missouri and TCU as his college choices

Ok, guys here it is, plain and simple: The Carter loss blows. He could've brought alot a speed to the offense. Who knows how good he is really going to be for whatever teams he plays for next year. He may redshirt. He might become a playmaker, might not. But I refuse to believe our offensive inneptitude has to do with lack of talent. I think it is poor coaching on mainly Gilmore's and Cotton's parts. Possibly Wats. We will get better somehow. Anybody thinking the loss of CC is gonna cost us the CCG,, take a good hard look at yourself>>> :moreinteresting Wake the heck up.

This is laughable. I'll give you that Gilmore hasnt seemed to have done his job; but Cotton? Nobody knows. He was not provided with the guys on the OL that we needed to be successful. They have been banged up all year and we never were deep on the OL at all. Whenever two true freshman (Sirles and Qvale) walk onto campus and are possibly in your best 6-8 linemen from day one you know you have a problem. They were both said to be in that two deep rotation until they both got hurt.

About Carter, with what I have heard with the direction of our offense it wont require a guy with his particular skill set. I dont blame him at all for looking elsewhere and I am glad he did it like a man and just flat out said it. He didnt leave us in limbo like TG.