Castille..

I would also like to add something.

While losing Castille hurts, I do remember when I thought the loss of Turner early in the season was going to really sting. But others stepped up to fill the void at the DE position and they are now starters. I also thought losing Glenn for the the season (before Kansas State) was disastrous too. But again, many stepped up in his place and they are now battling for starting positions.

My point? Well, it just seems to me that under this new staff players step up when needed. The coaches have the ability to coach them up and the players take care of the rest. It seems to work out in the end.

"""And the hating starts already!?! Come on, to say Q's loss isn't a big one is being disingenuous. NU just took a huge hit in their running game, and now there is even more pressure on Helu to carry the load. A load that Q was more than capable of carrying when Lucky wasn't getting the job done last season.

As good as Roy Helu is, I don't see our running game getting off to the great start many Husker fans where hoping for. Mendoza's speed will help, but there is no one in the backfield right now that can match Q's size and physicality. This loss will hurt us, especially early part of the season.""""

i'm not hating!! i have really felt this way since a couple years ago watching and getting so frustrated that he would either just FALL into the line on short yardage or fumble it at terrible times...I do feel he was showing progress, but don't be fooled--he only had 505 yds on 4.4ypc last year, and 1/5 of those yds came in ONE GAME. I hate losing players with experience and a team can NEVER have enough running backs, but hey, he broke some rule and now he is gone...the coaches, players, and FANS have to move on. I personally think Mendoza will be a stud this year.

I would also like to add something.

While losing Castille hurts, I do remember when I thought the loss of Turner early in the season was going to really sting. But others stepped up to fill the void at the DE position and they are now starters. I also thought losing Glenn for the the season (before Kansas State) was disastrous too. But again, many stepped up in his place and they are now battling for starting positions.

My point? Well, it just seems to me that under this new staff players step up when needed. The coaches have the ability to coach them up and the players take care of the rest. It seems to work out in the end.

we have five national titles. duh.

I can't believe some are saying it's "no big loss" when the last 6 months everyone has been talking about how important our running game will be - especially early.

I think when people say its "no-big loss" they are demonstrating their faith in the team and staff that we will be ok.

While i do think Castille's dismissal is a "big loss" i dont think we are screwed. We still have talent behind Helu, such as Ward, Okafor and Burkhead, and if Mendoza does maybe the transaction back to RB, I have FAITH that the staff will be able to coach them and train them to pick up the weight that Castille leaves behind.

I think when people say its "no-big loss" they are demonstrating their faith in the team and staff that we will be ok.

While i do think Castille's dismissal is a "big loss" i dont think we are screwed. We still have talent behind Helu, such as Ward, Okafor and Burkhead, and if Mendoza does maybe the transaction back to RB, I have FAITH that the staff will be able to coach them and train them to pick up the weight that Castille leaves behind.

Yeah, that's pretty much what I said in my second post...

Guess Burkhead has seperated himself pretty well.

http://www.huskers.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SP...p;DB_OEM_ID=100

With the announcement of junior running back Quentin Castille being dismissed from the team, the running back competition has opened up behind junior Roy Helu.

“It’s like any other position, everything is out there to be won right now,” Pelini said. “I’d say Rex Burkhead is clearly the No. 2 running back right now, but that can change. There’s a lot of depth and a lot of talent at the running back position, we feel real good about it. Time will tell, just like a lot of other positions, there’s a lot of competition going on.”

Come on, to say Q's loss isn't a big one is being disingenuous. NU just took a huge hit in their running game, and now there is even more pressure on Helu to carry the load. A load that Q was more than capable of carrying when Lucky wasn't getting the job done last season.

As good as Roy Helu is, I don't see our running game getting off to the great start many Husker fans where hoping for. Mendoza's speed will help, but there is no one in the backfield right now that can match Q's size and physicality. This loss will hurt us, especially early part of the season.

All true. This really does suck. And yes, losing Castille hurts our running game. A lot. I can’t help but think that the Bobfather would have found a way to keep Castille on the roster. Even TO might have. Things like this, and the Cody Glenn issue from last year, make me wonder about Bo. Oh, I still support him. I just wonder if he knows how to handle things behind the scenes, subtley instead of just napalming the whole situation. :hmmph

I can't believe some are saying it's "no big loss" when the last 6 months everyone has been talking about how important our running game will be - especially early. Is that how it works? We lose a key player and suddenly they were never important to begin with? Right...

I do find it interesting that Bo specifically stated that Rex was now the number two back when he rarely mentions players by name especially as it relates to the depth chart. Is he really that impressive at the college level this early on?

I have liked Lester since he got here, but I thought of him as a #3 behind Helu and Castille. I figured he would probably show his true talent late in the season as he got more experience under his belt.

This whole situation is not good. Not good at all!

It's natural, with the season so close and anticipation so high we all know that there's nothing we can do about it now, we just need to move on and think positive.

On the day Vestal commits, this happens! :facepalm: With all the focus on our running game this year to help out Lee, losing 1/2 of our 1-2 combo is a huge blow. To all the users saying there is stiff competition behind Helu and we have nothing to worry about, which guy battling for the #2 spot has actual gametime experience? The last thing we need now is uncertainty in the running game. What if, God forbid, Helu goes down early in the season?

Come on, to say Q's loss isn't a big one is being disingenuous. NU just took a huge hit in their running game, and now there is even more pressure on Helu to carry the load. A load that Q was more than capable of carrying when Lucky wasn't getting the job done last season.

As good as Roy Helu is, I don't see our running game getting off to the great start many Husker fans where hoping for. Mendoza's speed will help, but there is no one in the backfield right now that can match Q's size and physicality. This loss will hurt us, especially early part of the season.

All true. This really does suck. And yes, losing Castille hurts our running game. A lot. I can’t help but think that the Bobfather would have found a way to keep Castille on the roster. Even TO might have. Things like this, and the Cody Glenn issue from last year, make me wonder about Bo. Oh, I still support him. I just wonder if he knows how to handle things behind the scenes, subtley instead of just napalming the whole situation. :hmmph

There was smoke this summer that something wasn't right with Q.

http://www.huskerextra.com/articles/2009/0...6c766731014.txt

From a couple of weeks ago

“I left for a little bit just to try to get some things right,” said the 6-foot-1, 235-pound junior. “Coach (Bo) Pelini, he allowed me to do that. I came back and my teammates took me back as a player and as a friend and as one of the team leaders.

“It hurt leaving. But when I came back, I felt like the guys were still on my side. That’s a positive to me.”

the coach said. “I want to see him step up and be accountable to everybody, and step up and show us he’s someone we can depend on every down.”

Guess it didn't happen :(

For the sake of argument, let's just pretend the initial post was correct, mentioning the number 5. How many chances do you give someone who has repeated the same offense five times?

I have no idea if that's true, but if so, I'm glad some rules are enforced. No player is above the team.