The "Suuuuuuuuuuh" Thread

Nexus

I can kinda understand his reaction in the heat of the moment, although put in perspective with his pattern of play, he's going to get a well-deserved suspension. The excuse at the presser was just embarrassing.

Suh is clearly a dichotomy. He's almost Jekyll & Hyde - super-sweet at times, but his dark side is really starting to come out in his professional career. And let's not forget that he wasn't squeaky-clean here at Nebraska, either. He didn't play dirty, but there were off-field issues. Guy has to get his head on straight. I don't believe for a second that he's a bad guy. He's just out of control.

I like Suh as much as the next Huskers fan, but during his college career, I watched a few instances where I cringed. The way he tackled Gabbert during the game in the rain and tossing McCoy the way he did in the Big 12 CCG are two that really jump out at me right now.

Which tackle on Gabbert are you referring too? There are two I can think of, one where Gabbert hurt his ankle and the other where Suh got hit with a horse-collar penalty, but neither was dirty if you watch the replays. When Suh got flagged on the second hit, the replay showed he brought Gabbert down by his jersey. The ref saw a hand near the neck pad and called it, which I can't blame the ref for. I agree with knapplc - I can't think of really any instances where Suh made a dirty play, which is why his track record in the NFL is so puzzling.

Suh needs to get his act together and fast. At first it looked like Suh was just playing hard and fast, but after today's issues it's become quite obvious that he has control issues on the football field. Do I think he's a punk? No. But I don't blame people who don't know him as well as we do for thinking that. I think the Jekyll and Hyde comparison is quite good. He's a nice kid at heart, but he does not play smart on the football field.

• Fire 1

I can kinda understand his reaction in the heat of the moment, although put in perspective with his pattern of play, he's going to get a well-deserved suspension. The excuse at the presser was just embarrassing.

Suh is clearly a dichotomy. He's almost Jekyll & Hyde - super-sweet at times, but his dark side is really starting to come out in his professional career. And let's not forget that he wasn't squeaky-clean here at Nebraska, either. He didn't play dirty, but there were off-field issues. Guy has to get his head on straight. I don't believe for a second that he's a bad guy. He's just out of control.

I like Suh as much as the next Huskers fan, but during his college career, I watched a few instances where I cringed. The way he tackled Gabbert during the game in the rain and tossing McCoy the way he did in the Big 12 CCG are two that really jump out at me right now.

Which tackle on Gabbert are you referring too? There are two I can think of, one where Gabbert hurt his ankle and the other where Suh got hit with a horse-collar penalty, but neither was dirty if you watch the replays. When Suh got flagged on the second hit, the replay showed he brought Gabbert down by his jersey. The ref saw a hand near the neck pad and called it, which I can't blame the ref for. I agree with knapplc - I can't think of really any instances where Suh made a dirty play, which is why his track record in the NFL is so puzzling.

Suh needs to get his act together and fast. At first it looked like Suh was just playing hard and fast, but after today's issues it's become quite obvious that he has control issues on the football field. Do I think he's a punk? No. But I don't blame people who don't know him as well as we do for thinking that. I think the Jekyll and Hyde comparison is quite good. He's a nice kid at heart, but he does not play smart on the football field.

This is the one. The way he wrapped him then twisted himself around as if he was trying to slam Gabbert to the ground is how I remember that. He did the same with McCoy where he tossed him like a rag doll (which I still find hilarious). Nothing he ever did in college was technically dirty, but there were signs he could possibly get out of hand if he wasn't careful.

This is the one. The way he wrapped him then twisted himself around as if he was trying to slam Gabbert to the ground is how I remember that. He did the same with McCoy where he tossed him like a rag doll (which I still find hilarious). Nothing he ever did in college was technically dirty, but there were signs he could possibly get out of hand if he wasn't careful.

Meh...we probably just have different perspectives on it. Watch from about 0:35 and on in the video I put below. As Suh grabs Gabbert, they both lean to one side and Suh's momentum carries Gabbert in a twisting motion. I don't see anything there signifying a dirty play.

Now that I think about, Suh did get flagged for a late hit out of bounds penalty against VaTech in 2008, but other than that I can't remember many other personal foul penalties. I didn't see the signs myself. It was obvious he was a powerful guy, but I always got the impression that he would do things the right way because of how respectful he seemed off the field. Until today I never felt comfortable saying Suh was dirty, but what he did to that Packer player was completely unacceptable.

This all seems really clear to me just from his pattern of play. The kid is dirty. He breaks rules...violently, and he is going to seriously hurt someone. Call it aggressive but its wrong. It's dirty.

Punched Cutler

Kicked Dietrich

Damn near ripped Delhome's head off

...and then that weak ass apology, comment or whatever that was supposed to be.

I get it, he was a Husker, but come on people. Suspend his ass fast.

So, Matthews wrenching on Kevin Smith's neck today, the dirty cut block on Avril, or the packer player ejected for throwing a punch should also be suspended then right? If Suh wants you hurt, you're gonna be hurt. He was wrong today but it was a heat of the moment penalty. Football is a violent game and emotions run high.

Come on dude, the guy's not some unstoppable force that just decides if or if not he wants to injure guys. He's a great player, no doubt, but the national perception of him as a dirty player is running in high gear right now.

the kick is where he crosses the line. No defense or excuse for that.

Especially the second effort at the kick. He had a brief moment to chill but cleated him anyway. I have been as adamant as anyone in defending his "dirty" playing in conversations with others, but that was just a sign of something... and you know what? If he had come out and said, "I lost my cool, I got mad about some things I thought were going on, and I acted out pretty stupidly," it would seem considerably less bad. But that was a childish explanation.

As an aside-- I wonder how Detroit Fan (from Detroit) is taking this. After years of being a joke, they finally have a player who is tough, nasty, and effective. I donno... if I were a detroitian, I might feel an odd sense of pride and identity with him.

Watched the play, and the comparisons to what Haynesworth and Suh are completely out of wack. Haynesworth deliberately stomped a person twice, Suh's was a frustration kick that barely contacted to Green Bay player. Completely out of line yes, but nowhere near as bad as what Haynesworth did. It's being blown up to the point of Haynesworth, and Suh is definitely not helping with his comments.

I foresee a suspension, but people calling for the rest of the year are reactionary. My guess is it's going to be 3 games tops.

Watched the play, and the comparisons to what Haynesworth and Suh are completely out of wack. Haynesworth deliberately stomped a person twice, Suh's was a frustration kick that barely contacted to Green Bay player. Completely out of line yes, but nowhere near as bad as what Haynesworth did. It's being blown up to the point of Haynesworth, and Suh is definitely not helping with his comments.

I foresee a suspension, but people calling for the rest of the year are reactionary. My guess is it's going to be 3 games tops.

Aren't they really both "frustration" kicks, in essence? Why else would you kick someone?

the kick is where he crosses the line. No defense or excuse for that.

Especially the second effort at the kick. He had a brief moment to chill but cleated him anyway. I have been as adamant as anyone in defending his "dirty" playing in conversations with others, but that was just a sign of something... and you know what? If he had come out and said, "I lost my cool, I got mad about some things I thought were going on, and I acted out pretty stupidly," it would seem considerably less bad. But that was a childish explanation.

As an aside-- I wonder how Detroit Fan (from Detroit) is taking this. After years of being a joke, they finally have a player who is tough, nasty, and effective. I donno... if I were a detroitian, I might feel an odd sense of pride and identity with him.

I was embarrassed for Detroit that the whole country had to watch that. I'm glad he was ejected, and he deserves to be suspended. I thought Gholston of MSU was a punk for the cheap shots he took in the Michigan game, and it would be a double standard to say that this should be any different. I thought a little of "dirty" reputation was overblown before today, but now I think most of Detroit agrees that he has some serious work to do if he ever wants to shed that reputation.

This all seems really clear to me just from his pattern of play. The kid is dirty. He breaks rules...violently, and he is going to seriously hurt someone. Call it aggressive but its wrong. It's dirty.

Punched Cutler

Kicked Dietrich

As a Badger fan, I am pretty sure that you have not followed SUH's career while at NU. Folks are not defending him so much as finding it hard to believe that he is doing this. While at NU, I never remember this type of play nor heard anything from other teams about "dirty play". As a die hard fan, I am disappointed in him. He needs to clean up his act or his career and rep will be short lived. I would not be surprised to see O lineman trying to extract a little "justice" in the future.

Well according to this link http://bleacherreport.com/articles/66353-is-nebraska-missouri-spit-gate-solved (yes its bleacher report, but it does bring up the incident) What is very impressive is that Suh can hock a luggie over 50 yards.,

Up to this point, I thought of Suh as an aggressive player and an undisciplined player. I would not have gone one step further and called him "dirty". The kick has changed it, for me. That has crossed a line and gone into a whole another threshold.

Being a Husker fan and a Packer fan, and watching him go from the guy on my team to the guy trying to kill my team, I guess it is always a bittersweet, star-crossed experience anyway. But I've been able to respect him as a player and be in awe of his dominance. Now this.... I'm afraid I just don't have that respect anymore. Particularly since he has come out and basically been defiant about it to the end.

I don't care what Dietrich-Smith was doing.... it was nowhere near anything remotely deserving that retaliation.

It was a chippy game with some seriously overzealous officiating.... but that call was warranted, and just.

And he never pulled garbage like this as a Husker. Yes, there were late hits and personal fouls. Nothing like this though. What makes this aggravating and disappointing at the very least is that some jerk will blame Nebraska for it, claim that that's "our culture" somehow, and our reputation will take a hit, even though he's only really become worse since entering the NFL.

Punched Cutler

Kicked Dietrich

As a Badger fan, I am pretty sure that you have not followed SUH's career while at NU. Folks are not defending him so much as finding it hard to believe that he is doing this. While at NU, I never remember this type of play nor heard anything from other teams about "dirty play". As a die hard fan, I am disappointed in him. He needs to clean up his act or his career and rep will be short lived. I would not be surprised to see O lineman trying to extract a little "justice" in the future.

Well according to this link http://bleacherrepor...pit-gate-solved (yes its bleacher report, but it does bring up the incident) What is very impressive is that Suh can hock a luggie over 50 yards.,

(LAST edit: I'm tired of trying to get this video to embed. I wash my hands of this. G'night.)

As a Husker, the closest thing to a "dirty" play was when he slammed Baylor's QB into the ground, and got flagged for "Personal Foul: Slamming the QB into the ground." I will go to my death bed still believing that there was nothing wrong with that play - quite the opposite, it remains one of my favorite sacks...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EPcB-z9zqNw

Bottom line, Suh does get treated differently than most other defensive players in the NFL. Because of his reputation and because of his sheer strength (he makes normal football look way more violent than anybody else, even when it's clean), the refs and the cameras are always watching him. Suh was playing no more dirty than the Packer that got kicked out of the game earlier for taking a swing at a guy in frustration - but when Suh does it, it draws way more attention.

The first part of the play today against the Packers, where he was basically leaning on that OL's head, is as common as it gets in the NFL. The kick was simply in frustration, I think, but there's no excuse for that. You have to keep your head. At that point, it's not even out of respect for your opponent - football is a violent game, and Suh plays it violently - but it's about not hurting your own team with a penalty and by taking yourself out of the game altogether.

Furthermore, I think Suh and the Lions are going to continue to embrace the "dirty" reputation. They can't let it beat them like they did today, but that's their identity, and it fits. They play the game violently, bordering on dirty and sometimes crossing that line - they want to be known as nasty. They're like the Pistons from the early 90's - it's an identity that fits the tough-as-nails city of Detroit, and it shouldn't go away. They just have to keep it under control.

• Fire 2

Up til now i wouldnt have called his play dirty. This play was. IMO. He'll get suspended, and fined, and hopefully learn to control himself better. He's an awesome player and could go down as one of the NFL's greatest. I would hate to see crap like this be his downfall ! I saw this coming when he was labeled "dirty" in the first place. There will always be an extra elbow in his ribs,yank on his facemask, or any kind of extra shot guys can get, trying to get him to snap. He has to rise above it somehow.

As a Husker, the closest thing to a "dirty" play was when he slammed Baylor's QB into the ground, and got flagged for "Personal Foul: Slamming the QB into the ground." I will go to my death bed still believing that there was nothing wrong with that play - quite the opposite, it remains one of my favorite sacks...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EPcB-z9zqNw

Bottom line, Suh does get treated differently than most other defensive players in the NFL. Because of his reputation and because of his sheer strength (he makes normal football look way more violent than anybody else, even when it's clean), the refs and the cameras are always watching him. Suh was playing no more dirty than the Packer that got kicked out of the game earlier for taking a swing at a guy in frustration - but when Suh does it, it draws way more attention.

The first part of the play today against the Packers, where he was basically leaning on that OL's head, is as common as it gets in the NFL. The kick was simply in frustration, I think, but there's no excuse for that. You have to keep your head. At that point, it's not even out of respect for your opponent - football is a violent game, and Suh plays it violently - but it's about not hurting your own team with a penalty and by taking yourself out of the game altogether.

Furthermore, I think Suh and the Lions are going to continue to embrace the "dirty" reputation. They can't let it beat them like they did today, but that's their identity, and it fits. They play the game violently, bordering on dirty and sometimes crossing that line - they want to be known as nasty. They're like the Pistons from the early 90's - it's an identity that fits the tough-as-nails city of Detroit, and it shouldn't go away. They just have to keep it under control.

Great post and pretty much sums up the situation nicely.