Bo looking into the Miami HC Job

epocSoN

Let's hope this isn't true.. that would be extremely low of him to abandon us now and go against pretty much everything he claims to stand for - loyalty, character, integrity, etc. Hard to imagine he'd do that when you think about it like that. I would feel very betrayed if he did... I think this man (minus his temper) represents what Nebraska football is all about.

Have to disagree. It's a free country and Bo is allowed to take any job he chooses to. If he honestly feel it is best for him and his family to be at Miami, god speed.

People need to get over this insane devotion to coaches. Unless they are Nebraskan, alma mater, or born and raised, they feel about our program the way we feel about Michigan, Miami and all the others. They have no reason to be loyal to us. This is a business for them and we are his current employer. Nothing more.

And don't for a second think it doesn't work both ways. Or have you forgot the Callahan getting shoved out the door by the fan base just a few years ago?

Callahan didn't preach integrity or loyalty as far as I ever heard. He was all about winning and doing it the glitzy, glamorous way like they do in SoCal. Bo preaches loyalty, character, and devotion to his kids. He says he will do anything for them and he cited this numerous times during the reprimand for his actions at aTm. Therefore, I expect him to live up to what he says in that regard.

I think you're reading too much into "coaches speak"...

Unless you believe Pelini will never, ever leave Nebraska, it should be accepted that eventually he will recruit some kid while talking about loyalty and integrity and then leave that kid. Wether that is today or in 20 years. Anything less than a retirement, means he will leave some kids and the fans dissapointed and feeling betrayed.

I agree mostly, but you have to admit there's a big difference between leaving after being here 10 years and being here 3, right before we transition into a new conference. You don't bail at a time like this.

Yeah, I hear what you're saying..

I just have felt for awhile now that Bo would jump at the first big time program that offered him a job. So I guess I'm not as upset as others.

IMO, being a coach at Nebraska means you have to be much more than a football coach. Guys like Dr. Tom, Mac Brown, and such. Those guys are not just football coaches. They are the Kings of their kingdoms. They enjoy all that comes with being the central focus of a football crazed fan base where every win or loss is life and death to their community.

Pelini is a football coach. He wants to be a football coach and that's it. He has made comments before about wishing "Nebraska wasn't the only game in town". He doesn't like being the central focus of this entire state imo. I think he'd love to go to a place like Miami where he can coach in the National spotlight on Saturday and slip into obscurity on Sunday.

This is a "food for thought" kind of post. You make some valid points here. +1

Will be very interested to see if this story gets bigger in the next day or two or it's just a false alarm. His salary is in the top 25 of all college coaches currently, he's turned an entire program around and is competing for league championships. He has small children who are in school here.

Then there's the current state of Miami's program. He'd be taking a step down imo.

don't worry, if Bo goes, Wats can be head coach! <_<

I have a hard time imagining Bo abandoning his players after all they've gone through, and after how he's constantly preached about having their back.

The rumors are flying around like crazy though... Just saw a rumor that there's been a Mangino sighting in Lincoln.

He probably ate everything in Kansas and went up to Lincoln to get more food.

i can't imagine that tub of sh#t coming here......

He should really come out and just say it. Aaron Green's facebook (i am not a stalker) says that hes very worried about this and that if this is true he will have to open the recruiting process back up. Im not saying he should come out and say if its true or not for the fans sake, but for his players and commits sake.

And Dontrayveous Robinson told AG that Bo isn't going anywhere. No worries.

Thats good, im sure the players know more than we do.

Well, it's hard to say. Maybe Tray was talking about his own hairstyle.

Anyway, reported stuff said by players on Facebook - good indication, even though it doesn't sound like it. Buuuuuuut, these guys should learn not to put stuff like this out there on facebook.

I just have felt for awhile now that Bo would jump at the first big time program that offered him a job.

Out of curiosity, you're not implying that Miami is "big time" and Nebraska isn't, are you? Because Nebraska is one of the very pillars of college football, one of the ten greatest teams of all time.

Miami is no slouch, for sure, but Miami is not Nebraska. Not close.

Just heard on the Finebaum show, Coach Donnon(X Georgia coach) state he had heard the Bo was interested, could not understand why he would want to leave Nebraska, but did hear that is name is mentioned. Said something about Bo not wanting to go to the Big Ten. Sounds funny to me. I would thing Bo would enjoy visiting his old haunts.

Who knows, but if anything happens I am sure we will hear about it quickly.

I am not very concerned about it. Just thought it was funny Bo's name came up as a possible for Miami, on the Finebaum show.

Look on the bright side, if he leaves, most of the staff, including Watson, will probably be gone, too. Isn't that what "the whole state of Nebraska" wants? I would think that there are numerous canidates available here on HuskerBoard. Most seem to think that they know more about football than 75% of the coaches on staff. So, polish up those resumes, Tom Osborne could be looking for a few good men, soon.

I don't think he will go. But to claim Miami is a huge step down is ludicrous. It is a program that the media will pump up as soon as it shows any signs of life, kind of like Nebraska. National perception is that Miami is a good coaching job, a good program, and just slightly more "thuggish" than Nebraska. We don't get much benefit of any doubt if one of our players goes astray, thanks to our mid90s teams.

I think he is a great coach and really hope he stays. I want the whole staff back. Gimore, Cotton, and Watson included. There would be varying levels of despair if Cotton or Gilmore left, but I have seen improvement each year. I thought our O-line would perform a little better later in the year, so Cotton wouldn't kill me. I think our receivers have been concentrating on blocking more than catching, but with our chosen offensive scheme, it seems both skills are of equal importance. No, I'm not in the Watson can do wrong mindset, either, before I get labeled as such. A few screen passes would have gone a long way in slowing down the pass rush against OU, but, overall, I'm pleased with this year. We started a redshirt freshman at QB for chrissakes. Flawless performances should not have been expected. I expected a shot at the conference championship and that's what we got. We played hard, but tightened up, on both sides of the ball, as soon as OU threw that bomb for a TD. It was an exciting nailbiter of a game, which is why I watch in the first place. It would have been a whole lot better had we won, but I was entertained and emotional and fired up and excited for 3plus hours. I'm 44. This rarely happens anymore.

I think it's easier for Miami to find a good coach than for Nebraska. There is still a perception that as a fan base, we are unreasonable. After firing a coach that goes 9-3, we are seen as expecting too much. It doesn't matter to people that the idiot who did that is gone. Hey, I did not like what I was seeing with Frank at the helm, but you just can't fire a coach that goes 9-3.

I really want Bo to stay, he kind of reminds me of my dad, before he passed 20+ years ago. No nonsense, looks you in the eye, tells you like he sees it kind of guy. His media relations leave something to be desired, but I understand how much that part of the job must just straight up suck. Neither man is/was perfect, but they did what they did with good intentions and seemingly pure hearts. I don't know Bo personally, so I could be projecting, that is just what I sense.

:bigredn::bigredn::bigredn::bigredn::bigredn::bigredn::bigredn::bigredn::bigredn:

• Fire 1

There was a guy outside the Kwik Shop @ 56th & Holdrege with scratch cards and a fifth of Jim Beam saying that Bo has already started packing up, won't be coaching for the bowl, Mark Mangino is coming in as interim HC and TO was seen arguing with Perlman about dropping football from the athletic department after this year.

Just take it for what it's worth guys!

Look on the bright side, if he leaves, most of the staff, including Watson, will probably be gone, too. Isn't that what "the whole state of Nebraska" wants? I would think that there are numerous canidates available here on HuskerBoard. Most seem to think that they know more about football than 75% of the coaches on staff. So, polish up those resumes, Tom Osborne could be looking for a few good men, soon.

I don't think he will go. But to claim Miami is a huge step down is ludicrous. It is a program that the media will pump up as soon as it shows any signs of life, kind of like Nebraska. National perception is that Miami is a good coaching job, a good program, and just slightly more "thuggish" than Nebraska. We don't get much benefit of any doubt if one of our players goes astray, thanks to our mid90s teams.

I think he is a great coach and really hope he stays. I want the whole staff back. Gimore, Cotton, and Watson included. There would be varying levels of despair if Cotton or Gilmore left, but I have seen improvement each year. I thought our O-line would perform a little better later in the year, so Cotton wouldn't kill me. I think our receivers have been concentrating on blocking more than catching, but with our chosen offensive scheme, it seems both skills are of equal importance. No, I'm not in the Watson can do wrong mindset, either, before I get labeled as such. A few screen passes would have gone a long way in slowing down the pass rush against OU, but, overall, I'm pleased with this year. We started a redshirt freshman at QB for chrissakes. Flawless performances should not have been expected. I expected a shot at the conference championship and that's what we got. We played hard, but tightened up, on both sides of the ball, as soon as OU threw that bomb for a TD. It was an exciting nailbiter of a game, which is why I watch in the first place. It would have been a whole lot better had we won, but I was entertained and emotional and fired up and excited for 3plus hours. I'm 44. This rarely happens anymore.

I think it's easier for Miami to find a good coach than for Nebraska. There is still a perception that as a fan base, we are unreasonable. After firing a coach that goes 9-3, we are seen as expecting too much. It doesn't matter to people that the idiot who did that is gone. Hey, I did not like what I was seeing with Frank at the helm, but you just can't fire a coach that goes 9-3.

I really want Bo to stay, he kind of reminds me of my dad, before he passed 20+ years ago. No nonsense, looks you in the eye, tells you like he sees it kind of guy. His media relations leave something to be desired, but I understand how much that part of the job must just straight up suck. Neither man is/was perfect, but they did what they did with good intentions and seemingly pure hearts. I don't know Bo personally, so I could be projecting, that is just what I sense.

:bigredn::bigredn::bigredn::bigredn::bigredn::bigredn::bigredn::bigredn::bigredn:

All good points. +1 to you. I don't think Bo will go. Most of this is just Internet hysteria. At least I hope so.

skersfan:

From a quick glance, you would think that Bo would love to go to the Big 10.... it is his "old stompin' grounds".......but X-O's says that his defense is not built right now to defend the smashmouth Big 10 type of football. Maybe Northwestern.

We are built to stop the spread types like he saw in the SEC and Big 12, and the ACC...Yes, I know that LSU beat Ohio St. with "his defense", but right now, our LB are way too small to shut down the ....IN YOUR FACE running games. Yes, speed kills, but on "outside running plays", not between the tackles.

I am sure he knows he will have to "rebuild" his own defense to compete at a very high level, and it may NOT be the STYLE of defense that he loves to coach, and doesn't feel comfortable with.

I know that I am doing a little 'reaching' here, but I can kind of understand why he may not be excited to join Big 10.

I just have felt for awhile now that Bo would jump at the first big time program that offered him a job.

Out of curiosity, you're not implying that Miami is "big time" and Nebraska isn't, are you? Because Nebraska is one of the very pillars of college football, one of the ten greatest teams of all time.

Miami is no slouch, for sure, but Miami is not Nebraska. Not close.

No, I'm not at all saying Miami is a "big time" school and Nebraska isn't.. I'm saying he wouldn't leave Nebraska and go to, say, Purdue or something.. But, imo, if another "big time" school such as ours were to offer him the job, and he felt he could go there and be the head coach, without the other stuff that comes from being the head coach at Nebraska, I've always felt he would take it.

Some coaches would rather have all that comes along with being the head coach here. I just don't feel Bo is that guy.