Big Surprise???

I just want to reiterate on how epic this thread has gotten in two short days. Bravo fellow board members.

In fact I am shocked all other threads aren't locked and this is the only open thread. I am not sure I have seen a topic jack up peopl's reputation points like this one. Seriously every post it seems has a +1 on it. CLASSIC.

Now someone must give this post a +1 just to fit in. :sarcasm

• Fire 1

Afhusker told you what what going to happen. Last year all assistant coaches contracts were signed by feb 12. Are you guys expecting a press conference? I'm sure all we will get is a press release.

Bingo!

And there is not a signing day press conference scheduled for tomorrow, so anything official that comes out tomorrow will be by press release. And there is no guarantee that everything gets announced tomorrow either. They could wait until next Monday to officially announce anything.

Ok so it's been said that two coaches are getting fired and you make it seem obvious. I can think of 3 coaches that IMO should probably be let go in Wats, Gilmore and Cotton. So with that said, are the two below 6'4 or is one of them above 6'4?

• Fire 1

I heard Carl picked up what he thought was a booster's wife down at The Q and found the "big surprise" himself.

That's top-notch.

Anyways, the most plausible thing I have read in this thread relates to the timing. From what I understand, many assistant coaches go on a year by year contract and I recall that the contracts are usually signed/extended around this time. Osborne's track record for parting ways with assistants as opposed to firing makes this approach seem plausible. Also, I imagine that there would be some sort of buy out for firing coaches before their contracts expire, this would be a contributing factor as well. Sometimes the parting would not be amicable, but Osborne let the assistant leave with dignity intact. From what I understand, TO and Kiffin did not get along after TO was handpicked to success the Bobfather, and that was the reason Monte left. Devaney had 2 superstar assistants who were candidates to replace him, Osborne and Kiffin, and he chose Osborne as his replacement. Folks who were alive during this period, please correct me if I am wrong.

Should be interesting in the next couple weeks. If there are going to be changes, I just hope the band aid is pulled off finally.

Afhusker told you what what going to happen. Last year all assistant coaches contracts were signed by feb 12. Are you guys expecting a press conference? I'm sure all we will get is a press release.

Bingo!

And there is not a signing day press conference scheduled for tomorrow, so anything official that comes out tomorrow will be by press release. And there is no guarantee that everything gets announced tomorrow either. They could wait until next Monday to officially announce anything.

Ok so it's been said that two coaches are getting fired and you make it seem obvious. I can think of 3 coaches that IMO should probably be let go in Wats, Gilmore and Cotton. So with that said, are the two below 6'4 or is one of them above 6'4?

If I were a betting man, I would bet that Barney would be the coach that would stay of the 3. He was handpicked by Bo and has 2 sons currently in the program. Gilmore has been maligned pretty much since the time he stepped on campus. Watson's son is done playing. They are both holdovers from the previous regime. This would be a good time to make a clean break.

Seriously? Afhusker told you what was going to happen! Plus he was nice enough to explain how our assistant coaches contracts work and why we aren't having press conference tomorrow. I would say he told you quite a bit!

I get that he told me what was going to happen-he said two coaches are going to get let go. But as for those two that still remains to be seen and he really didn't drop any hints on to who that would be, which is why I asked. There are 3 coaches that I could see getting let go.

I just talked to someone in the program:

Me: "So have you seen Shawn Watson around?"

Them: "No I haven't seen him in a while."

Me: "You're aware of the rumors circling the program, right?"

Them: "Yeah, everyone thought the monday meeting was going to be them announcing Shawn Watson was fired, but I guess he's out recruiting or something?"

Interesting, because I thought Watson didn't do any recruiting?

Also, my attempts to get any info regarding Scott Frost and his position at Oregon have been unsuccessful, but I will continue to try and get an answer.

I can not imagine Tom Osborne being involved with something like this. We are not going to fire coaches after recruiting. It is unethical to say the least. Trick them in and fire the coach is not the Nebraska way. I doubt we see any change to the coaching staff anytime soon. Other than someone being offered another job and moving on.

Now if the potential recruits are being notified of Coach A or B leaving in advance to they have the choice of coming or going elsewhere is happening, then possible, but I doubt the staff would take the chance of losing anyone that way. I do not know how much each of the questioned coaches are recruiting or who their potential recruits are.

If there is anything to this story, my guess is it does not pertain to dismissal of coaches. Possiblity of shifting responsibilities, or a graduate assistant that would excite the fan base, a maybe.

Just does not make sense to have this going on on purpose.