Who's really our BEST Quarterback?

NEBRASKA's BEST QB  

187 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

The way you stick up for Martinez when anyone dares to question the guys overall ability to play QB is so admirable. :wub:

.... hyperbolic straw man snipped for brevity ......

Then there are those of us who are realists, who realistically stated that Zac Lee's body of work circa 2009 needed to be viewed in the context of his injury, and who also realistically say that Martinez' 2010 campaign must also be viewed in the same context. I wasn't making excuses for Lee back then and I'm not making excuses for Martinez now, nor are my very valid points some fanboy love-fest for either guy.

The way you stick up for Martinez when anyone dares to question the guys overall ability to play QB is so admirable. :wub:

.... hyperbolic straw man snipped for brevity ......

Then there are those of us who are realists, who realistically stated that Zac Lee's body of work circa 2009 needed to be viewed in the context of his injury, and who also realistically say that Martinez' 2010 campaign must also be viewed in the same context. I wasn't making excuses for Lee back then and I'm not making excuses for Martinez now, nor are my very valid points some fanboy love-fest for either guy.

I didn’t quote you did I? I forget sometimes. :dunno

I’m with you on the realist thing. I know injuries hampered both of their performances; however I was trying to point out that ones injury was an acceptable excuse while those same folks scoffed at the notion that injury played a part in Zac Lee’s performance in 2009.

I also don’t see why it is so crazy to think that Martinez could be a one and done starter at QB. If you ask me Martinez had far too many questionable plays this past season to have the position already locked down.

I’m with you on the realist thing. I know injuries hampered both of their performances; however I was trying to point out that ones injury was an acceptable excuse while those same folks scoffed at the notion that injury played a part in Zac Lee’s performance in 2009.

I also don’t see why it is so crazy to think that Martinez could be a one and done starter at QB. If you ask me Martinez had far too many questionable plays this past season to have the position already locked down.

I know you didn't quote me. I just replied because I have alternately "championed" both Lee and Martinez. chuckleshuffle

I think you're right - there's nothing guaranteeing that Martinez won't be unseated, and if he doesn't improve in the offseason and Green does, Green has a legit shot. After Martinez unseated Lee last year, I'm not going to be a proponent of any QB. It's anyone's job to win, especially with a new OC and the upheaval on offense. Who knows what's going to happen?

Imo a lot of NU fans are just simply blind to what a difference maker can do to help an offense at qb. Tmart was simply incredible until inuries (bad ankle & turf toe) took their toll. A run 1st freshman qb with those injuries had him looking like sh*t so the "best fans in college football" rip him to shreads at every opportunity. Especially here at HuskerBoard. Heh....just the way it is.

I think there's at most a 1% chance someone is electrifying enough to beat him out next year.

I mean come on people did you not see enough during the JV tour to realize that he was simply “incredible”. His going in the tank along with the offense was all on his injury, the OL play and are ineffective OC calling plays. He was a first year starter for crying out loud, give him a break. :sarcasm

Hold on those excuses sound very familiar. <_<

Didn’t people get killed for saying the same crap about Zac Lee after the 2009 season once it came out that during the Sun Belt tour he injured his arm? If I’m not mistaken he was a first year starter, had Watson calling the plays and the 2009 OL was worse then the 2010 OL.

But those excuses didn’t have any merit then because it was people sticking up for Zac Lee and not sticking up for “T-Magic”. :ahhhhhhhh

Don’t get me wrong I thought some of the stuff Martinez did was awesome, but I am not blinded by his run first ability enough to not see that he has many shortcomings. I also don’t see why it is so crazy to imagine another QB unseating him as the starting QB. It happens all the time in College Football so it can definitely happen at NU next year. :dunno

:ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

AMEN!!!!!!!!

Personally I think it would say great things about Nebraska if that happened. A All American Freshman, setting records is surpassed by another true Freshman.

I have no love affair with Martinez, but he has talents that are fantastic. Whether any of the others have those abilities will be decided by the Staff in the next month or so I would guess. I am sure we will not have a QB starter until a minute before the first game. Bo RULE.

I would prefer we had a seasoned QB to play in the Big Ten, but I still want the best player on the field.

No matter who starts, if they are better than what we had last year, makes it a win win situation for Nebraska. I would just like to see who ever that is get the support from the fan base, and quit worrying about who is next.

If another QB unseats Martinez, we'll have yet one more year under Bo with a brand new starting QB. I don't think Nebraska will ever accomplish the goals they strive for if they start a new QB each and every year. Martinez did look lost several times last year, but how many rep's did he really have before the season? His redshirt year was spent playing receiver on the scout team. I can see it now: Carnes unseats Martinez in 2011 and Turner unseats Carnes in 2012. I want the best QB playing as well, but each and every time it's a freshman there will be growing pains. Some of the best to ever play QB for Nebraska struggled horribly their first year. Frazier lost to lowly Iowa State. He was 3-12 passing, and the offense only mustered up 246 yards. Frost had a horrible game against Arizona State. Crouch also had his fair share of poor performances. While I don't want to hitch my wagon to any QB, I don't want a different QB each and every year. This isn't the recipe for championships.

If another QB unseats Martinez, we'll have yet one more year under Bo with a brand new starting QB. I don't think Nebraska will ever accomplish the goals they strive for if they start a new QB each and every year. Martinez did look lost several times last year, but how many rep's did he really have before the season? His redshirt year was spent playing receiver on the scout team. I can see it now: Carnes unseats Martinez in 2011 and Turner unseats Carnes in 2012. I want the best QB playing as well, but each and every time it's a freshman there will be growing pains. Some of the best to ever play QB for Nebraska struggled horribly their first year. Frazier lost to lowly Iowa State. He was 3-12 passing, and the offense only mustered up 246 yards. Frost had a horrible game against Arizona State. Crouch also had his fair share of poor performances. While I don't want to hitch my wagon to any QB, I don't want a different QB each and every year. This isn't the recipe for championships.

Or if TM doesn't mature and develop we could have another 3 years with him and not do anything too.

It has to come down to who is the best. The best QB needs to be playing regardless of class, period!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Maybe we struggle a little again next year with a RS frosh or true frosh, but if that QB shows he is able to learn, mature, and develop, he may be worth the struggle for the future years of success.

Hey, if TM shows the maturation and development then good, more power to him and I wish him all success and will back him. But, if he doesn't show it, I don't believe in sticking with him just because he has more experience.

we'll know more after the first few games of the year. as of today I don't see Martinez being that "franchise" type of QB though. (boy I hope he is) And I don't want to see a new starter every year either - but if I had to choose between a freshman QB next year with the potential to be a 4 year starter, vs Martinez bobbling along for the next 3 - I'm going to go w/ the freshman.

I'd rather go 8-5, 10-4, 12-2, 14-0 the next 4 years with a freshman than 10-4, 11-3, 10-4, 8-5 with Martinez and whoever replaces him that 4th year.

This assumes Martinez doesn't improve much as a QB - which I still hope he does. I'm a skeptic though.

Wait...who's better Taylor, Cody, or three guys that have never played any college football? Are we serious here?

For christ sake people, when are we going to learn that a high school highlight tape doesn't mean crap, go back and watch Cody Green's HS highlights.

I make highlight tapes for my athletes, I can make a very average player look great when I cut up film for highlights.

Taylor wins this poll, I would hope.

When watching tape.... It's not how long they can throw the ball. Or how many touchdowns they get.

It's all about the details you get out of it.

It's not very hard to shoot a video and cut out the bad plays and leave in the great ones.

There's a reason coaches watch tape still you know.... well I would hope so if your in the business.

You are right, we as coaches do watch tape. I am betting, however, that you have never seen a full game film on Carnes and only his highlight tapes that are made by his coaches or his parents for RECRUITING thereby cutting out the bad plays and leaving in the great ones as you stated above.

Either way, they are from HIGH SCHOOL not against Washington, Kansas State, and Oklahoma State.

Look, I am not saying that Taylor Martinez is a god, I have been as critical as any on here of his play. He is, however, the best freshmen QB statistically we have ever had at NU so to think that a guy that almost went to Western Kentucky is better than him without any D1 playing time is so asinine it is bordering on mentally challenged.

This.

we'll know more after the first few games of the year. as of today I don't see Martinez being that "franchise" type of QB though. (boy I hope he is) And I don't want to see a new starter every year either - but if I had to choose between a freshman QB next year with the potential to be a 4 year starter, vs Martinez bobbling along for the next 3 - I'm going to go w/ the freshman.

I'd rather go 8-5, 10-4, 12-2, 14-0 the next 4 years with a freshman than 10-4, 11-3, 10-4, 8-5 with Martinez and whoever replaces him that 4th year.

This assumes Martinez doesn't improve much as a QB - which I still hope he does. I'm a skeptic though.

Through the first half of the 2010 season, we all thought we had our four year starter. If Carnes unseats Martinez and we go 8-5 in 2011, there will be a lot of pi$$ed off Husker fans me included. Take your example of 8-5 and 10-4 with a freshman or 10-4 and 11-3 with Martinez. There was another thread discussing how much time Bo had before his job is in jeapardy. 8-5 leaves us unranked at season's end and Bo's seat getting awfully hot. 10-4 might have us in the top 25 and it might not. If not, he could be gone. It really matters very little your next two years if we're breaking in a different head coach.

Bo seems to throw QB's right into the fire. It really didn't pay off with Cody Green in 2009. I'd have rather he eased Martinez into the starting role in 2010 rather than right off the bat. It's been said that we're recruiting "projects" for QB's. Even in spring practice it was said Martinez had good/great scrimmages, and he had practices where he struggled. It would be really nice to see our QB's be in our system two to three years before we put their feet to the fire. I want the best QB to play, but I don't want it to be at the expense of losses. When Martinez was announced the starter, I had a bad feeling we were sacrificing a year. After the first few games, those feelings went away. However, as we got deeper into the season they came back. We'll never know if things would have been different with Lee starting, but I've got to think that at least the Big 12 Championship game would have been different especially with the lead we'd built. Husker fans would be feeling a lot better had we played UConn in a BCS bowl.

I don't think an 8-5 season would be the end of the world next year. It would be disapointing but not entirely unexpected. I also think (unless there's a 7-5 or 6-6 season in there) that Bo has 3 years here almost regardless of outcome. It will be that 3rd year (or an event outside of football) that determines his future, not the next 2 yrs. Too many changes w/ the move to Big10, new staff, etc to think that he'd be gone after just 2 years - expecially not if he goes 10-4 in the second year. A coach won't be fired for 10-4 unless it's a year like this one and it follows somethign like 6-6...and I don't expect to see another year where our 4 losses are so dramatically pathetic, and Bo's defenses should ensure we don't lose 6 games.