Tougher Conference ?

The Big 8 was ridiculously top heavy for the majority of it's existence...the Big XII was a bit better, but not much. Gone are the days of gimme's against ISU, Baylor, etc. If you ask me, a conference as only as strong as it's weakest members.

Besides Minnesota, who is (presumably temporarily) going through a tough transition, anyone in the B10 has the ability to play up to their opponent and get a win. Next season will be a marathon, not a sprint.

The Big 8 was ridiculously top heavy for the majority of it's existence...the Big XII was a bit better, but not much. Gone are the days of gimme's against ISU, Baylor, etc. If you ask me, a conference as only as strong as it's weakest members.

Besides Minnesota, who is (presumably temporarily) going through a tough transition, anyone in the B10 has the ability to play up to their opponent and get a win. Next season will be a marathon, not a sprint.

How was this different than last year in the Big 12? The Big 12 seemed to get more and more competitive every year. The Big 12 was a marathon and not a sprint either. OU was #1 only to lose to Mizzou. Mizzou was ranked really high only to lose to us.

I get your point in that there aren't a lot of true patsies in the Big 10, but I think Indiana, Illinois, Northwestern, Purdue and Minnesota will very rarely contend for conference championships or beat upper echelon teams in the conference. My guess is those teams have an even tougher time in the new Big 10 because of the new division alignment vs. the rotating schedule from the past.

For a long time the Big 8/12 had a number of punching bag teams, but that wasn't so true in the last 5 years or so. The conferences were very comparable for the last several years, with perhaps the edge to the Big 12. The balance of power shifts with the transfer of Nebraska.

The Big 12 was by far the most potent offensive conference in CFB last year and for the past few years; and our defense did an alright job.

The Big Ten does not have near the athletes that the Big Twelve does. That may begin to change when we jump conferences because Big Ten defenses are going to have to find ways to be able to go athlete on athlete against us on offense and defense.

If you really look at our schedule and break down every team it is not the "meat grinder" that people are saying it is.

P.S. Call me crazy but I am not sold on the fact that the Big Ten is that much more "physical" than the Big 12.

The difference is we play every single tough team in the conference for a couple of years. No skating a Oklahoma or Texas. We will be playing them in their house for the first time. Travel, accomadations, noise all make things more difficult. We will not be getting everyone's welcome aboard letter, it will be a slug in the mouth.

Down the road it will get easier, but these first years are going to be tough, just like the last year in the Big 12. We got the best they could give us.

I think the Big 10 is a little slower conference, but more power oriented. Those type of games take more out of the kids week to week. Do we have the manpower to make it through the season healthy.

Meh. I say its a wash. Only Ohio State (and god only knows what they will look like when the NCAA gets done) and Wisconsin are really heavy weights right now. In the last several years every other team has a 7 win or less year mixed in. Penn State and Mich are the only others that even have a pedigree of big time winning.

It's all cyclical. B12 was the stronger conference for a while but B10 was stronger at times. B10 has less doormats IMO. Never fails that Indiana or northwestern beats the conference "power" year in and year out.

Either way, stability is what it is all about. I'm grateful to say I welcome all challenges that the future brings.

The big 12 runs on star power, while the big 10 runs on strategy, clock management and execution. The big 12 dominates recruiting in the state of texas, which is obviously a premier football state. Thats why the big 12 has star power and always has, but defense and depth have never been focal point. The big 10 on the other hand doesnt have a powerhouse football state to recruit so they cant succeed on talent alone. Athleticism takes a backseat to playing with strength and intelligence....if we can keep our texas pipeline in the big 10 we will contend every single year.

Every single nebraska fan should be thrilled to become a part of the big 10. Texas owned the big 12 in every aspect and its becoming more evident with the departure of nebraska and colorado. But with superior academics, competitive athletics and fan bases, more storied and historic programs its just a fantastic fit for us. How could i forget the revenue that the Big 10 network generates? even at a fans standpoint, the big 10 network is fantastic. And you guys cant tell me you arent excited to go watch games in happy valley, ann arbor, iowa city, and columbus?

I know we were talking solely about football here, but I think that the big 10 was better last year and even if the big 12 is a slightly better football conference, the benefits clearly, clearly outweigh any objections you may have.