Pistol Offense?

Fuzzy

While writing a term paper for my Composition II class, i decided to write a comparison essay on Pro-style offense and Pistol offense. And i started to think would the Huskers benefit with such a offense. Now i don't know much about Tim Beck and his offensive history except at NU. But I'm wondering would he implement such a system and would it work to the advantage of the players on the offensive side of the ball. It seems to me that you can still run the zone-read with the pistol based offense and I've always heard that it based around the use of dual-threat QB's like Taylor Martinez, Cody Green and Bubba Starling. So I am curious if other Husker fans feel the same way? Could Nebraska run a Pistol based offense in the Big Ten and be successful with it?

Didn't we run out of the pistol quite a bit last season?

That's kind of what I was thinking. Currect me if I'm wrong, but the pistol is more of a formation than an "offense" with the back directly behind the QB, and the QB a couple yards closer to the line than in a standard shotgun passing down. That way he can read (zone-read) the defense better, and the play can move to either side of the field because of the position of the back.

Missouri uses it and everyone considers them a "spread" team.

I think you might have been comparing apples to oranges for your Comp II paper - hope that turns out OK.