Cody Green to transfer?

Well, Knappic, Herc, and Saunders, you guys never disappoint. For you three, questioning Martinez in a thread is like dumping a bucket of bloody chum into shark-infested water.

I know it's hard to win an argument over the Internet, but you guys actually did it. I see the light now. All the apprehension over Martinez is a total media fabrication, along with a good bit of imagination by yours truly (and similarly imaginative, vindictive fans). There really is nothing to the widespread concerns about his attitude and leadership capabilities. It was purely coincidental that his father felt compelled to issue a statement at the end of the season confirming that Martinez is staying with Nebraska and hopes to improve as a leader. Pelini's much-publicized sideline rant was an overreaction to a one-time event and was in no way a consequence of prior events. Anyone who says otherwise is just a "hater" and takes sadistic glee in seeing a young man fail. The only question now is whether Rex is going to follow Martinez's example about how to be a leader and teammate.

Seriously, just knock it the f#*k off. It's not about "defending" Martinez. It's about squashing outright lies which husker "fans" like you keep repeating as if they are fact. It's one thing to question his leadership (he was a freshman, his teammates have already come out the season and said he's been taking the reigns). He definitely needs to take that role, as hard as it may be. Taylor himself even said he was apprehensive last year with all the seniors, and he was going to improve on that. But the character assassination that has been going on reeks of a straight middle school clique bitchfight.

Unless you have evidence, it's not a fact. That's the problem. You keep spouting rumor, conjecture, and just plain lies as fact, and then when it's pointed out, you call that person a Martinez lover.

I have said, multiple f'ing times, that I want the best guy to play, period. But your personal attacks on Taylor based on outright lies, or misleading info is really starting to get old. You mockingly say that the media created the apprehension over Martinez. No, they didn't. It started on stupid internet message boards like this. Someone gives out a small tidbit of information, and people start filling in the blanks with the worst possible scenario. Then it spreads, and starts getting quoted as fact. That's wrong.

You want to know why Taylor's dad sent out a statement. Because of a rumor. Where did that rumor originate? Oh, that's right, a freaking texas message board. The same place that said Taylor put the boot on the wrong foot to piss Bo off. Seriously? Are people really that stupid?

If you have legit sources to back up your claims, then prove it. If not, then stop it.

• Fire 3

Just more internet rumors. I can't believe so many buy that Bo would cower to a player throwing a "hissy fit" and so then making him the starter. Geeeeshhhh....anything flies here. Anything at all.

It's called hyperbole.

And yet, people take that statement and run with it like it's gospel.

TMart, a redshirt freshman, allegedly threw a hissy fit over not being the starting QB. He made a power move by quitting the team, in which the coaches acquiesced and named him the starter.

the most BS part of this post is that there's no way in hell Bo would make someone a starter because they cried.

• Fire 1

It's officially official - Cody is transferring. Cody's statement:

“I have made the decision to look at other options in continuing my education and college football career. I have enjoyed my time at Nebraska and am thankful for my teammates and the opportunities the coaching staff gave me to better myself as a player and a person. The support of the fans here has been great and my time as a Husker will never be forgotten.

“The decision to leave was very difficult for me and my family. It was by far one of the hardest things I’ve ever done. I talked to Coach Pelini and he has offered to assist me in finding another school to continue my playing career. I wish Coach Pelini and Nebraska nothing but the best this year and in the future.”

Bo's statement:

“Cody Green is a tremendous young man and we appreciate the contributions he has made to this football program. Cody feels like it is in his best interest at this time to look at other schools to continue his college career. We will support him in this process and wish him success in the future.”

Good luck, Cody. Knock 'em dead.

For the record, I don't really place a lot of my distrust of Martinez on the transfer rumors. I put it on the fact that he generally acts like an aloof jackass who thinks he's the sh#t, but is mediocre at best the second he joins the other 99% of athletes who, by season's end, have some degree of injury to their knee/ankle/shoulder/foot.

There is little doubt that the kid has an attitude problem and you can make that case to a thousand jurors without ever introducing any evidence of the transfer rumors. There is a prima donna element to his attitude without a doubt.

There is basically a zero percent chance that Martinez would stay at Nebraska for the remainder of his career as a #2 QB behind, say, Brion Carnes or Bubba Starling. Cody's done that or worse for the past two years, without even coming close to being a disgruntled cancer in the locker room, which is more than Martinez can say while he was the STARTER. That makes the situation a bit different in this man's opinion.

Martinez is to Tate Forcier, what Green is to Joe Dailey.

Taylor Martinez must have done horrible things to your mother.

For the record, I don't really place a lot of my distrust of Martinez on the transfer rumors. I put it on the fact that he generally acts like an aloof jackass who thinks he's the sh#t, but is mediocre at best the second he joins the other 99% of athletes who, by season's end, have some degree of injury to their knee/ankle/shoulder/foot.

There is little doubt that the kid has an attitude problem and you can make that case to a thousand jurors without ever introducing any evidence of the transfer rumors. There is a prima donna element to his attitude without a doubt.

There is basically a zero percent chance that Martinez would stay at Nebraska for the remainder of his career as a #2 QB behind, say, Brion Carnes or Bubba Starling. Cody's done that or worse for the past two years, without even coming close to being a disgruntled cancer in the locker room, which is more than Martinez can say while he was the STARTER. That makes the situation a bit different in this man's opinion.

Martinez is to Tate Forcier, what Green is to Joe Dailey.

Taylor Martinez must have done horrible things to your mother.

i can see some of Hujan's points, but i am willing to see if there are some changes this season. at the very end of this year (and not before) i will make up my mind about TM.

I can't find the "Popcorn" emoticon?

However I do respect the time folks have taken to post. I do wish Cody the best and I think it makes total sense for him to move on. He did not work out here under the old system and it was not looking good for the new. I feel no ill will toward him, he was sliding down the depth chart and if your goal is to find guys who want to compete than this is what we will see. He has a couple years to play and that is great, his goal is to be a starting QB not an old sage guy who hangs around helping out new talent.

i can see some of Hujan's points

Out of curiosity, which ones?

at this point i am not sure who TM is... i am not sure he has a real positive effect on the rest of the team, maybe he does, not sure, but he is damn sure no Tim Tebow, not that he has to be, but he is on the short side of leadership in his actions and on field chemistry and i will argue with you any day that the intangibles are what make a great QB. again, not trying to be vague, but the guy seems to be playing at times by himself...maybe i won't get that feeling this season, jury still out.....fire away.

at this point i am not sure who TM is... i am not sure he has a real positive effect on the rest of the team, maybe he does, not sure, but he is damn sure no Tim Tebow, not that he has to be, but he is on the short side of leadership in his actions and on field chemistry and i will argue with you any day that the intangibles are what make a great QB. again, not trying to be vague, but the guy seems to be playing at times by himself...maybe i won't get that feeling this season, jury still out.....fire away.

When did you meet Martinez? Or is this all coming from what you've seen on TV?

Let's just take names out of the equation here.

Player A comes in and plays as a backup quarterback for two years, never having the chance to redshirt. It looked at one point like he might be the QB of the future, or even the now - but by the offseason before his junior year, he is as far as can be from both of those things. He didn't live up to some of the excessive hype that always surrounded him, and his chance at the university has passed him by. Additionally, he lost the QB coach and OC that recruited him here and developed him. However, he has always done and said the right things, through the bad and the good. He thinks he can still play QB and wants to try it in a different system with a better opportunity for him to play. It is currently post-Spring.

Player B is a redshirt freshman who is viewed as an electrifying athlete the offense needs to get the ball to, 15-20 touches a game in a Wildcat type package. He wants to be QB; however, his upcoming role for the season looks like a Wildcat niche option on the field, and he is solidly #3 on the depth chart at QB. At #1 is the senior incumbent starter. He is frustrated and thinks he can and should be fulltime starter. It is currently mid-Fall camp.

In these scenarios outlined, if Player A should leave, then you might expect "Class Act, sorry it couldn't work out here, best of luck" comments. If Player B should leave, you might expect "Oh well, best of luck, see ya" comments, with a bit of "Really? Season's about to start and he leaves? Um, okay..." Not hatred, mind you, but just a lack of "kid's been a class act entire time he's been here, and has handled all this professionally". I think that's fair, don't you?

Again as I said before, Taylor did not actually leave and that counts for something.

But I invite anyone to tell me how these two scenarios are 'basically the same', as has been argued frequently in this thread.

When did you meet Martinez? Or is this all coming from what you've seen on TV?

well, i am just a fan with an opinion like you, i have a hollow feeling about the guy, nothing personal, but just a feeling........ever had a little intuition about someone and have it turn out to be correct?....how well do you know TM? have lunch, hang out together much?