***Official Fall Camp Injuries Thread***

true, but we need to start developing the next string, i don't know, i guess it just bothers me how many of our qbs get injured, Spano, TM, now this guy, seems it is just getting to be the norm...how much bad luck can preseason hold?

Yeah. And not only QBs, but linemen, too. Is it just me or do we annually have as many linemen injured as we had in five years in the 80s and 90s? I don't remember those big hosses getting banged up back in the day. Why are our linemen getting busted up all the time these days? What changed?

That is a mystery to me, big time.

Answer: Bo/Carl Pelini and the #1 defense.

I'm still suprised Marsh hasn't been moved over yet. I'd rather see him #4 on the depth chart and Turner taking more snaps at WR where he can contribute on the field, than moving Turner to QB where he lands at about #3 and has little to no impact on the team. Either Marsh is showing a lot of promise at safety, or the coaches are on crack. And I'm assuming that the Ridder comment was 99% sarcasm. No way they move a true freshman linebacker, that played 8-man football to QB over a guy like Marsh that broke almost every Nebraska state HS record playing against the best competition Nebraska has to offer. (unless of course they are again on crack)

The remark about Ridder came straight from Bo. When was the last time you knew Bo to be sarcastic?

true, but we need to start developing the next string, i don't know, i guess it just bothers me how many of our qbs get injured, Spano, TM, now this guy, seems it is just getting to be the norm...how much bad luck can preseason hold?

Yeah. And not only QBs, but linemen, too. Is it just me or do we annually have as many linemen injured as we had in five years in the 80s and 90s? I don't remember those big hosses getting banged up back in the day. Why are our linemen getting busted up all the time these days? What changed?

I'm still suprised Marsh hasn't been moved over yet. I'd rather see him #4 on the depth chart and Turner taking more snaps at WR where he can contribute on the field, than moving Turner to QB where he lands at about #3 and has little to no impact on the team. Either Marsh is showing a lot of promise at safety, or the coaches are on crack. And I'm assuming that the Ridder comment was 99% sarcasm. No way they move a true freshman linebacker, that played 8-man football to QB over a guy like Marsh that broke almost every Nebraska state HS record playing against the best competition Nebraska has to offer. (unless of course they are again on crack)

this. Ive been wondering if Marsh will get moved to qb, since depth seems to be a concern. Maybe he is tearing it up on defense?

The remark about Ridder came straight from Bo. When was the last time you knew Bo to be sarcastic?

Yeah, that and the fact I checked Huskers.com yesterday and I don't recall Ridder being listed as a QB, but he is today. In the event we got bit that bad by the injury bug, we'd see Burkehead and the wildcat.

All we can do is hope Martinez and Carnes make it through the year.

It's not like that's anything out of the ordinary. Most teams who lose their top two QBs are going to struggle, or they're forced to rely on the talent they have elsewhere. The 1994 team had to start walk-on Matt Turman against a top 20 Kansas State team. I don't think our current 3rd-4th-5th string QBs are less talented or experienced than they were in those days.

Yeah, that and the fact I checked Huskers.com yesterday and I don't recall Ridder being listed as a QB, but he is today. In the event we got bit that bad by the injury bug, we'd see Burkehead and the wildcat.

Guess it is crack then. Ridder over Marsh? Surely they at least approached Marsh w/ the option. I thought when he walked on here it was going be like the Taylor thing - "you probably won't be a QB, but if the opportunity presents itself we'll give you the option"

It's not like that's anything out of the ordinary. Most teams who lose their top two QBs are going to struggle, or they're forced to rely on the talent they have elsewhere. The 1994 team had to start walk-on Matt Turman against a top 20 Kansas State team. I don't think our current 3rd-4th-5th string QBs are less talented or experienced than they were in those days.

This and frankly this is all hand wringing. Does it suck for Tyson, yes but he wasn't going to a factor this year. RK3 is the 3rd string QB, Turner is going to stay at WR unless they run a special package. I would argue that RK3 is better than Turman.

Turman was more qualified than a freshman that was playing 8-man football 9 months ago. And Turman went 2-4 (in a game we passed for a total of 52 yards) while we rushed the ball 50 times. I think in today's offense (not that we know much about it) our QB will be required to throw a few more than 4 times. That's a loss in 2011. Just my opinion.

Turman was more qualified than a freshman that was playing 8-man football 9 months ago. And Turman went 2-4 (in a game we passed for a total of 52 yards) while we rushed the ball 50 times. I think in today's offense (not that we know much about it) our QB will be required to throw a few more than 4 times. That's a loss in 2011. Just my opinion.

I don't think you're wrong about why we won with Turman, or why we might lose this year with our third string QB, but Matt Turman would lose in 2011 too. Our problem isn't QB depth, it's our depth and talent everywhere else. I also don't think Turman was much more experienced when he got the start than Ron Kellogg III.

I don't think you're wrong about why we won with Turman, or why we might lose this year with our third string QB, but Matt Turman would lose in 2011 too. Our problem isn't QB depth, it's our depth and talent everywhere else. I also don't think Turman was much more experienced when he got the start than Ron Kellogg III.

Agree. I guess I'm just more dumbfounded by why we'd move someone who has virtually no chance of playing QB for the Huskers. What's the point of having a 4th string QB if it's just someone you yanked out of the lineup because he played QB in middle school (he was a good QB in HS I know). I'm not sure if he'll run the scout team of if that will be Kellogg - but the fact is he'll take away reps from Kellogg, and he doesn't do any justice to the position when trying to represent the opposing squad. There's more capable guys on the team IMO.

I'm probably being too hard on Riddle and since I've never seen him play I obviously have no idea how skilled his is or isn't. But I'd put money on my assumptions being pretty close - it's just the nature of D1. This is the equivalent of dropping down to a school like Wayne State and borrowing their 3rd string guy. (oh wait, Ridder had an offer there and prolly would have been 3rd string so that's a little too good of an example).

Having a 4th just for the sake of having a 4th doesn't make a lot of sense. My guess is he's just there to give reps to the scout recievers/rbs, etc. Just think Marsh would have fit that role better - and actually had a "slight" chance to getting some playing time at QB down the road.

Agree. I guess I'm just more dumbfounded by why we'd move someone who has virtually no chance of playing QB for the Huskers. What's the point of having a 4th string QB if it's just someone you yanked out of the lineup because he played QB in middle school (he was a good QB in HS I know). I'm not sure if he'll run the scout team of if that will be Kellogg - but the fact is he'll take away reps from Kellogg, and he doesn't do any justice to the position when trying to represent the opposing squad. There's more capable guys on the team IMO.

I'm probably being too hard on Riddle and since I've never seen him play I obviously have no idea how skilled his is or isn't. But I'd put money on my assumptions being pretty close - it's just the nature of D1. This is the equivalent of dropping down to a school like Wayne State and borrowing their 3rd string guy. (oh wait, Ridder had an offer there and prolly would have been 3rd string so that's a little too good of an example).

Having a 4th just for the sake of having a 4th doesn't make a lot of sense. My guess is he's just there to give reps to the scout recievers/rbs, etc. Just think Marsh would have fit that role better - and actually had a "slight" chance to getting some playing time at QB down the road.

I don't think Marsh would have any more of a shot at playing QB than this other kid. Martinez/Carnes will be the starter for the next 3-4 years, and then it'll probably be somebody we don't even know of yet. I also think Marsh may have a better chance at getting onto the field in the secondary than Ridder would have with the linebackers. His situation seems similar to LaTravis Washington.