I'm just going to ask the question

HuskerT

Even if Tommie Frazier received some kind of illegal benefits, the NCAA's statute of limitations makes it impossible for anybody to investigate improper benefits from Frazier's playing years. Ergo this is kind of a non-issue.

As far as your question, OP, it's extremely likely Frazier received some kind of benefit he technically shouldn't have. However, I think you'd be hard pressed to find a great football player anywhere who at one time did not receive some measure of an improper benefit.

The dirty secrets about Tommie Frazier's recruiting deserve to come out. The fact of the matter is, Tommie was tired of the sunshine/beach lifestyle in Florida, and he was looking for something different. Of course, Nebraska was the only school recruiting Tommie as a straight-up QB, which helped immensely, but that was only the "foot in the door." It was on Tommie's recruiting visit that we sealed the deal. The sordid tale can now be told.

Rick Stockstill was well acquainted with Tommie's burnout on the sunshine, sandy bikini-filled beaches and party lifestyle of South Florida, so after the regular meet-and-greets were done with Coach Osborne and the offensive staff, Stockstill began a whirlwind courtship of Frazier at Dan Bess' farm north and west of Colon. Stockstill outfitted Tommie with all the bling – a used and slightly torn pair of coveralls, galoshes and an old John Deere cap – and set Tommie down in front of Bess' grandfather's corn sheller. Frazier was in heaven, fascinated by how easy it was to "make it rain" by putting in a dried ear, cranking the fly wheel, and watching the kernels pile into the bucket.

From there I'm told they gave Tommie the keys to the neighbor's Case 2090 and put him to work disking the field, followed by what is rumored to be a hayrack ride, although it's unclear when exactly the hayrack ride happened. What is clear is that Frazier was treated to an afternoon of detassling, rogueing and walking beans in various neighbors' fields, followed by at least 1/2 an hour of irrigation rides.

But the whirlwind courtship didn't stop there. That night Frazier dined on fried chicken and mashed potatoes – all that he could buy – with fresh-baked apple pie for dessert. There's a rumor it was a la mode, but I haven't been able to substantiate that.

Tommie was back at the farm the next day, dark and early, for a breakfast of flapjacks, jaternice and eggs from the hen house, then it was off to the cow pen where "bossy" was separated and gelded, followed by a morning of tossing hay bales with the locals. I'm told that Frazier was then allowed – at no charge – to sweep out the chicken coop and feed sugar lumps to the goats and kids.

By the time the weekend was over Tommie's recruitment was a done deal. Awed by the glamorous Nebraska lifestyle and all but guaranteed that he could come back and work the farm whenever he wished, Frazier committed to the Huskers.

I understand that some Husker fans will be shocked at how blatantly we've used our farm-life advantages to land such a big recruit. Yes, it is completely unfair that Nebraska should be blessed with such an abundance of cattle, crops and combines while schools in Florida have to rely on such paltry recruiting tactics of yachts and hookers, but we can't apologize for being this lucky, nor can we fail to utilize these things to our advantage. To do so would be to cheat ourselves.

Note that I'm only willing to disclose these gross NCAA violations nearly 20 years after the fact, now that the statute of limitations has expired.

• Fire 3

I'm not saying there is zero probability of some booster somewhere trying to slip a kid some money, but my guess would be that any type of thing that might happen would be more along the lines of a a guy getting into a club without paying a cover or someone buying a guy a drink or burger somewhere and it would be from someone trying to be nice to someone they admired. And even then I think it would be pretty infrequent. Many of the money guys I that are boosters don't live in Nebraska and when they are around the program they are around coaches and would rather try to use their influence in the administration.

The biggest worry I ever had is when a bunch of the "party boys" that were former players opened up their bar on O street and pushed hard to make it a Husker hang out.

Now. . .back before the NCAA said it was wrong. . .we had lots of guys driving really nice cars courtesy of Bob D.

The dirty secrets about Tommie Frazier's recruiting deserve to come out. The fact of the matter is, Tommie was tired of the sunshine/beach lifestyle in Florida, and he was looking for something different. Of course, Nebraska was the only school recruiting Tommie as a straight-up QB, which helped immensely, but that was only the "foot in the door." It was on Tommie's recruiting visit that we sealed the deal. The sordid tale can now be told.

Rick Stockstill was well acquainted with Tommie's burnout on the sunshine, sandy bikini-filled beaches and party lifestyle of South Florida, so after the regular meet-and-greets were done with Coach Osborne and the offensive staff, Stockstill began a whirlwind courtship of Frazier at Dan Bess' farm north and west of Colon. Stockstill outfitted Tommie with all the bling – a used and slightly torn pair of coveralls, galoshes and an old John Deere cap – and set Tommie down in front of Bess' grandfather's corn sheller. Frazier was in heaven, fascinated by how easy it was to "make it rain" by putting in a dried ear, cranking the fly wheel, and watching the kernels pile into the bucket.

From there I'm told they gave Tommie the keys to the neighbor's Case 2090 and put him to work disking the field, followed by what is rumored to be a hayrack ride, although it's unclear when exactly the hayrack ride happened. What is clear is that Frazier was treated to an afternoon of detassling, rogueing and walking beans in various neighbors' fields, followed by at least 1/2 an hour of irrigation rides.

But the whirlwind courtship didn't stop there. That night Frazier dined on fried chicken and mashed potatoes – all that he could buy – with fresh-baked apple pie for dessert. There's a rumor it was a la mode, but I haven't been able to substantiate that.

Tommie was back at the farm the next day, dark and early, for a breakfast of flapjacks, jaternice and eggs from the hen house, then it was off to the cow pen where "bossy" was separated and gelded, followed by a morning of tossing hay bales with the locals. I'm told that Frazier was then allowed – at no charge – to sweep out the chicken coop and feed sugar lumps to the goats and kids.

By the time the weekend was over Tommie's recruitment was a done deal. Awed by the glamorous Nebraska lifestyle and all but guaranteed that he could come back and work the farm whenever he wished, Frazier committed to the Huskers.

I understand that some Husker fans will be shocked at how blatantly we've used our farm-life advantages to land such a big recruit. Yes, it is completely unfair that Nebraska should be blessed with such an abundance of cattle, crops and combines while schools in Florida have to rely on such paltry recruiting tactics of yachts and hookers, but we can't apologize for being this lucky, nor can we fail to utilize these things to our advantage. To do so would be to cheat ourselves.

Note that I'm only willing to disclose these gross NCAA violations nearly 20 years after the fact, now that the statute of limitations has expired.

Well done sir. Although you completely and obviously sarcastically exaggerated and missed the point of the thread, I will give you an A for effort. I guess some topics are best left untouched. You have my blessing to lock it up.

I think he was.

Nice to know not everyone has their head in the sand

I see. So everyone who thinks he wasn't is just an ignorant, naive fool. If you're so sure of the answer, and people who think he didn't take anything have their heads in the sand, why make the topic in the first place?

Don't be so hard on yourself, I just called you naive, you added the ignorant fool. I already had my opinion on the matter, but I was curious as to what people thought about it.

Does anyone think Tommie either accepted money or extra benefits to come to Nebraska or received money or extra benefits while he was at Nebraska?

Was Tommie paid? I guess that’s a legitimate question. Here are ten other legitimate questions that are more likely to be answered ‘yes’:

• Was Jim Brown paid?
  • Was Herschel Walker paid?
  • Was O.J. Simpson paid?
  • Was Archie Griffin paid?
  • Was Vince Young paid?
  • Was Barry Sanders paid?
  • Was Earl Campbell paid?
  • Was Lawrence Taylor paid?
  • Was Orlando Pace paid?
  • Was Brian Bosworth paid?

Well done sir. Although you completely and obviously sarcastically exaggerated and missed the point of the thread, I will give you an A for effort. I guess some topics are best left untouched. You have my blessing to lock it up.

If I had the proof I'd talk about how a certain award-winning RB from "back in the day" was lured to Nebraska with an all-night cow tipping session. I know it happened, but nobody will talk to me on the record, so I can't mention names. But I think we all know who I'm talking about. ;)

Does anyone think Tommie either accepted money or extra benefits to come to Nebraska or received money or extra benefits while he was at Nebraska?

Was Tommie paid? I guess that’s a legitimate question. Here are ten other legitimate questions that are more likely to be answered ‘yes’:

• Was Jim Brown paid?
  • Was Herschel Walker paid?
  • Was O.J. Simpson paid?
  • Was Archie Griffin paid?
  • Was Vince Young paid?
  • Was Barry Sanders paid?
  • Was Earl Campbell paid?
  • Was Lawrence Taylor paid?
  • Was Orlando Pace paid?
  • Was Brian Bosworth paid?

The answer is yes IMO. I think every star player in the modern era has received some sort of extra benefit. I'm sure there are a few exceptions, but when I mean exceptions I mean guys who have been offered, but didn't accept. Which I guess also means every player has at least been offered.