What did we learn???

walksalone

QB - Good: Taylor looks to be in his original form as a runner and has better pocket presence. Bad: Inconsistency when in the pocket and running the option, seemed like a few misreads on his part.

HB - Good: All three freshman backs looked good in the backfield today, Burkhead looked really good out there too. Bad: I don't know whether to blame the QB or the RB or both for the poor option play, but it looked horrible.

FB - Good: Legate looked pretty good out there. Bad: I saw a few questionable blocks that Legate missed.

WR - Good: Enunwa made a statement that he has improved from last year. Bad - Where was BK all game?

TE - Good: Reed and Cotton did good jobs catching and blocking today* Bad: With the one exception to Reed getting overpowered by a LB, Martinez should have scored on the option before the half.

OL - Good: Saw a few good things out them and overall blocking seemed ok. Bad: Tyler Moore did not live up to the preseason hype that surrounded him, I saw quite a few times him getting overpowered or outmatched that caused Martinez trouble in the pocket.

DL - Good: We have depth and talent on the line that much was proved today. Bad: Didn't really see a fire in their play until the 2nd half.

LB - Good: The coverage was good and blitzing was great. Bad: Tackling in open space needs work!

CB - Good: Played quickly and did a job wrapping up the tackles. Bad: Coverage was horrible. Considering how close we played to the ball last year, i don't know whether to blame Raymond for this or the lack of experience in the secondary, but this scares me.

S - Good: Same as the CB's basically. Bad: Once again, the same on the CB's.

Special Teams - Good: We are in good hands with Maher. Bad: When Stafford and Cooper weren't lighting players up, tackling did not seem very good on the special teams.

MBunch of random observations: Maher was very encouraging out there. He's not Henry, but he's about as a good of a replacement as you can hope for.

Stafford is a stud.

Fisher should not be starting. Guy still hasn't figured out how to tackle and will get absolutely eaten up come B1G play.

We either need to learn how to run the option properly or significantly reduce its use, ugly ugly stuff there. Not happy with o-line. We need to significantly improve our passing game. We have an awful lot of speed with Turner and the three freshmen backs. Abdullah is a big threat on punts and Turner should get as many touches as possible.

D will get much better when Dennard's back.

Beck needs to diversify his play calling, and get Bell, Turner, and the 3 young RBs more involved.

T-Mart was trying to do too much in the option game. He needs to settle down.

I was impressed with the overall defensive speed and line play.

Fisher needs to study the playbook and Blatchford is no Hagg.

Green played alright, but there is a drop off from Dennard.

Special teams we were great.

Beck needs to diversify his play calling, and get Bell, Turner, and the 3 young RBs more involved.

I've been saying this about fisher since he arrived. He is hesitant and a terrible tackler.

Defense looked pretty good although there are some areas that need to be worked on.....secondary.

Offensive line didn't look good at all, but they are very inexperienced with all the injuries and need more time together.

Martinez looked good at times, but needs to work on his throwing ability, it's just not that good.

Burkhead wasn't as dominate as I thought he was going to be, but when the offensive line isn't doing well that will affect him.

Other backs looked okay, but they need to learn to be a little more patient.

Receivers...........another year of up's and down's apparently.

Brion Carnes needs to get his **** together as he looked completely lost when he was out there. Not that Martinez running the option looked great, but if Martinez gets hurt he needs to be ready and he's not!

I dont think that we showed very much today offensively. Think Bo is keeping his cards close to his chest until about Washington.

Take that damn option play from under center and chuck it somewhere in North Stadium and forget about it. If that is going to be our bread and butter this year we will lose 4 games. Horribly ran, predetermined decisions made by TMart. There is no reading the game from him on that option play from under center. He is just guessing. Now, the diamond formation from the gun, I like. I think we can be successful running the option from that formation.

Among things mentioned here, I also learned...

We need to involve our play-makers more, or at least find ways to get them the ball. Martinez is fast - yes. But those kinds of runs are not going to work against stiffer competition. Some of this has to do with our offensive line not providing much of a push today on a consistent basis, and some of it also has to do with Martinez. Even on some of the designed runs Martinez broke today, the blocking was not very good and was purely masked by Martinez' athleticism. Furthermore, Martinez still has some of the poor passing tendencies he showcased last year.

I was just disappointed that today turned into another Martinez showcase, and that he had to run the ball 19 times in order to give us a victory. I think if we can shore up our deficiencies on the offensive line, however, a lot of these problems will take care of themselves.

I've been saying this about fisher since he arrived. He is hesitant and a terrible tackler.

He also takes horrible angles to the ball carrier.

I'm surprised we didn't see Bell touch the ball at all today.

1)I saw some missed ,Assignments,blocks,tosses,catches. But, overall I was pleased.

2)Some of the misques we saw will be cleared up with a little time and less nerves.

3)Rex wasn't himself,T-mart settled in and made some good things happen(still needs work on stare down) D-line and linebackers are gonna be beasts baring injury. Secondary was shakey but settled in.

The one thing that did make me nervous was that BK once again had hands of stone.

Fish did not play very well, he was getting "coached" on the side a lot.