BIG reasons for concern

tmfr15

Michigan is hauling in a top five rated class. No doubt Urban Meyer will put up a similar effort on the recruiting trail. The Buckeyes are sitting No. 15 in the country right now.

To me, Michigan and Ohio State feel like they are going to be the Oklahoma and Texas of the BIG's future.

Back in the Big 12, we always lost the recruiting battle to Texas and OU. At least we had the comfort of knowing that neither of them were in our division. We could win our division and then win the conference title.

Getting to the BIG title seems like a tougher task with Michigan on our side of it.... and seemily more parity in the league than the Big 12.

Can Nebraska do enough on the recruiting trail and on the field to avoid falling to the middle of the pack?

I don't want to wake up to the conversation about Michigan and Ohio State needing to move their game toward the middle of the schedule since those two are almost guaranteed to meet in the BIG title game every year.

Tell me I am freaking out for no reason. Please.

It just feels this way.

Michigan is hauling in a top five rated class. No doubt Urban Meyer will put up a similar effort on the recruiting trail. The Buckeyes are sitting No. 15 in the country right now.

To me, Michigan and Ohio State feel like they are going to be the Oklahoma and Texas of the BIG's future.

Back in the Big 12, we always lost the recruiting battle to Texas and OU. At least we had the comfort of knowing that neither of them were in our division. We could win our division and then win the conference title.

Getting to the BIG title seems like a tougher task with Michigan on our side of it.... and seemily more parity in the league than the Big 12.

Can Nebraska do enough on the recruiting trail and on the field to avoid falling to the middle of the pack?

I don't want to wake up to the conversation about Michigan and Ohio State needing to move their game toward the middle of the schedule since those two are almost guaranteed to meet in the BIG title game every year.

Tell me I am freaking out for no reason. Please.

It just feels this way.

Could be. I'm thinking that Ohio State will be at a slight disadvantage because the players will all be getting used to a new coach and staff. (Just like we've had to do this year). High ranked players don't always pan out. We've seen that time and time again. Remember Callahan's 5 star recruit class! Several of those guys transferred because they simply didn't pan out. These boys are going to have to get used to a new playing style. It's going to be a challenge. Is Meyer good? Absolutely! But I have a feeling that it's going to take some time to get his team ready for next year. We'll see.

Michigan looks ok but remember they got beat by Iowa so they aren't perfect. Robinson is ok but he's not great. He's a great athlete but not so smart with regards to his decision making during the game.

Our young boys have had a good break in year. If they haven't played, they have at least seen the playbook during practice. I think we'll get some good recruits this year too that will help beef up our defense. We have a good cohesive team right now. Anything can happen we'll just have to see. :)

Things will definitely get tougher, but if we focus on us, focus on improving ourselves, Nebraska has demonstrated that they can battle with anybody. We just have to work hard to reach that level again. The recruiting battles will be another interesting aspect of this Meyer hire. We will see who wins those battles when we are both after the same guy.

My take is that tOSU and Mich will be going after a lot of the same recruits and those battles will be fierce, much like OU vs TX. I feel that since NU has always had to recruit nationally, the effects won't be as harsh as if we were dependant on a particular area. So if NU can show some promise, we'll be able to peice together enough talent. JMO

Michigan is hauling in a top five rated class..........

Michigan Texass is hauling in a top five two rated class for the last five years.

Michigan Boise St. is hauling in a top five forty rated class.

Lookup Coaches Top 25 Poll this year and previous year. Where's whorns?

Recruiting battles are overblown, bigtime.

Yeah, and what is Boise St's strength of schedule compared to that of Texas? I don't remember Boise St playing Oklahoma, Oklahoma St, Texas A&M, Kansas St. I'm no Texas fan, but you are isolating one variable and then saying "recruiting battles are overblown". Maybe to some degree it is, but at the same time, would you want a bunch of Austin Cassidy's/Thorell's or Dennard's/Lavonte David's for your defense? I know which one I would pick...

Michigan is hauling in a top five rated class..........

Michigan Texass is hauling in a top five two rated class for the last five years.

Michigan Boise St. is hauling in a top five forty rated class.

Lookup Coaches Top 25 Poll this year and previous year. Where's whorns?

Recruiting battles are overblown, bigtime.

Yeah, and what is Boise St's strength of schedule compared to that of Texas? I don't remember Boise St playing Oklahoma, Oklahoma St, Texas A&M, Kansas St. I'm no Texas fan, but you are isolating one variable and then saying "recruiting battles are overblown". Maybe to some degree it is, but at the same time, would you want a bunch of Austin Cassidy's/Thorell's or Dennard's/Lavonte David's for your defense? I know which one I would pick...

Obviously Austin Cassidy/Lance Thorell. It's a no brainer

As of now, the recruiting (or should I say the results of the recruiting) at Nebraska has not been that impressive in some areas such as the O-line, and evidently even at QB if we don't have a recruited QB that is any better than Martinez (who I dare say has the worst mechanics as a QB of any starting QB in the NCAA and only gets by with his athletic ability). Also, the defense is not where they should be by a long shot either. Where are those tackles for loss?

There is reason to worry, but not because Michigan or Ohio State is going to do anything that could kill our recruiting. I am beginning to wonder if the coaching staff at Nebraska even knows how to truly evaluate talent when it comes to recruiting. Either that, or there are problems with the coaching staff in the instruction area...which I have long advocated was the case especially on the O-line with Cotton being at the helm.

You're freaking out for no reason.

Michigan and OSU have historically been the top 2 programs in the Big 10 since the Devaney era (maybe before-I don't know).

In all that time, discounting the last 10 years, what Husker fan worth their salt was ever "concerned" about Mich or OSU or anyone else in the Big 10 for that matter? Rest easy, we are on our way back. We are in that period where we can see the potential in our team but will still experience pitfalls. Still probably have 2 or 3 anxious years awaiting us. That doesn't mean we're destined for 9 win mediocrity forever. Once we make it over the hump, lookout B1G.

• Fire 1

You are freaking out needlessly. We just need to take care of OUR business.

Urban didn't exactly leave Florida at the pinnacle of the football world when he belatedly (and repeatedly) discovered his family.

I am stunned at the number of people who believe his arrival portends an immediate seismic change in the B!G landscape.