Who should the next Nebrasketball coach be?

GWH

Go to the big time schools and offer the assistants more than what they're getting.

There is a lot of merit in this train of thought. The assistants at some of the traditional power basketball schools often have the best recruiting connections. Plus they can name drop to build an association between their background and Nebraska. For example Duke has 2 assistant Head Coaches. Coach K isn't staying forever, one of those guys is probably going to be the heir apparent. They probably know which one it is inhouse. I would try and talk to both of them. The one that is 2nd fiddle, might be interested in starting his own legacy and not want to report to a former peer.

How did the Quinn Synder experiment work out................??

Duke assistants havnt always had the best of luck in keeping jobs after they left. A number have failed once outside of coach K. However, it seems like it is more to the doing of trying to despritly win like Duke, then their coaching ability.

You use Quinn Snyder as a reference. Well Quinn recruited well to MU and scored a number of good players. He also showed his chops in coaching and did really well in the first years of his Missouri career. Earning a Rookie coach of the year award. However his love of drugs and banging his top players girlfriends became an issues after 4 or 5 seasons. He lost his players, started to get desprite to replace kids that left and took chances on questionable kids, which eventually lead to his resignation and probation for Mizzou.

With all that said, even with a coked out Quinn running off NBA talent, he still accomplished equal to or more in his first 4 (drug free) seasons at Mizzou than Nebraska has done in the history of thier program. 4 straight NCAA tourneys and 5 NCAA wins, including an elite 8.

Yes he ultimately did fail due to his vices, but to write off a certian teams assistants, then cite 1 coach as the reason, is alittle silly. Especially when that one coach would easily have been the best in the history of your program.

Nebraska needs to be open to alot of options. The fans also need to realize what you are. For everything the football program is to the eyes of potential coaches, the basketball program is the exact oppisite. Taking a chance on a questionable but talented coach might be the best thing. However I dont see T.O. doing that. So IMHO it is going to be a rising star in the Mids. That is the guy to make the move on. Not a has been, or a never was. You could always go after Altman, but its not like he was a star a K-state, and did very little the last half of his time at Creighton. He has done okay in an extrememly weak Pac12 at a school that takes basketball extreamely serious and has more money than God. I look at it this way. If the Pac12 sucks(which it does), and he is no better than avg (which he is) and he is at a program that has more everything than NE (which it does) , why do people think he could do better at NE?

anyway, I like Doc, but it is obvious at this time a change is needed.

If any outsider wanted to know the biggest problem with Nebraska basketball, the last three posts are compelling examples.

Re-read the post bro. Said it would never happen. Just stated that Smith isn't close to the best the state has to offer on the high school level.

And not a single crap was given today.

The simple fact that people are discussing High school coaches as even playtime coaches is so sad it

makes me want to hit myself in the groin to see if I still feel.

Go to any other message board in the Big Ten, like say Illinois, where they want their coach gone and see how many people want a high school coach there.

It's small time crap like this that plagues Nebraska. Always has.

Call it curiosity killed the cat, but who would you suggest as a possible replacement then???

Kimani Ffriend.

If any outsider wanted to know the biggest problem with Nebraska basketball, the last three posts are compelling examples.

Re-read the post bro. Said it would never happen. Just stated that Smith isn't close to the best the state has to offer on the high school level.

And not a single crap was given today.

The simple fact that people are discussing High school coaches as even playtime coaches is so sad it

makes me want to hit myself in the groin to see if I still feel.

Go to any other message board in the Big Ten, like say Illinois, where they want their coach gone and see how many people want a high school coach there.

It's small time crap like this that plagues Nebraska. Always has.

Call it curiosity killed the cat, but who would you suggest as a possible replacement then???

Kimani Ffriend.

That's about what I expected.

Go to the big time schools and offer the assistants more than what they're getting.

There is a lot of merit in this train of thought. The assistants at some of the traditional power basketball schools often have the best recruiting connections. Plus they can name drop to build an association between their background and Nebraska. For example Duke has 2 assistant Head Coaches. Coach K isn't staying forever, one of those guys is probably going to be the heir apparent. They probably know which one it is inhouse. I would try and talk to both of them. The one that is 2nd fiddle, might be interested in starting his own legacy and not want to report to a former peer.

How did the Quinn Synder experiment work out................??

Duke assistants havnt always had the best of luck in keeping jobs after they left. A number have failed once outside of coach K. However, it seems like it is more to the doing of trying to despritly win like Duke, then their coaching ability.

You use Quinn Snyder as a reference. Well Quinn recruited well to MU and scored a number of good players. He also showed his chops in coaching and did really well in the first years of his Missouri career. Earning a Rookie coach of the year award. However his love of drugs and banging his top players girlfriends became an issues after 4 or 5 seasons. He lost his players, started to get desprite to replace kids that left and took chances on questionable kids, which eventually lead to his resignation and probation for Mizzou.

With all that said, even with a coked out Quinn running off NBA talent, he still accomplished equal to or more in his first 4 (drug free) seasons at Mizzou than Nebraska has done in the history of thier program. 4 straight NCAA tourneys and 5 NCAA wins, including an elite 8.

Yes he ultimately did fail due to his vices, but to write off a certian teams assistants, then cite 1 coach as the reason, is alittle silly. Especially when that one coach would easily have been the best in the history of your program.

Nebraska needs to be open to alot of options. The fans also need to realize what you are. For everything the football program is to the eyes of potential coaches, the basketball program is the exact oppisite. Taking a chance on a questionable but talented coach might be the best thing. However I dont see T.O. doing that. So IMHO it is going to be a rising star in the Mids. That is the guy to make the move on. Not a has been, or a never was. You could always go after Altman, but its not like he was a star a K-state, and did very little the last half of his time at Creighton. He has done okay in an extrememly weak Pac12 at a school that takes basketball extreamely serious and has more money than God. I look at it this way. If the Pac12 sucks(which it does), and he is no better than avg (which he is) and he is at a program that has more everything than NE (which it does) , why do people think he could do better at NE?

anyway, I like Doc, but it is obvious at this time a change is needed.

Actually, I wrote an 8 word open-ended question...................to which you responded with an abbreviated version of War and Peace.......................

Pretty much a stretch to infer that I was writing off all assistants from my micro post......................but I appreciate the information about the Might Quinn.....................

And for what it's worth, I am open to ALL options and hope All options are under consideration.........................we can't be much worse than we are right now... either record - wise OR reputation - wise...........

Yes, Nebraska is not a basketball power and has some unique challenges, but it can be done as we have seen a glimpse of that with Coach Nee. I think you have to think big and work your way from there. Just like his previous players T.O. will need to recruit a coach and sell them on the advantages of coming to Nebraska. I think it can be done.

Just think Denny Crum was interested at one time, he was a pretty big name at the time.

Yes, Nebraska is not a basketball power and has some unique challenges, but it can be done as we have seen a glimpse of that with Coach Nee. I think you have to think big and work your way from there. Just like his previous players T.O. will need to recruit a coach and sell them on the advantages of coming to Nebraska. I think it can be done.

Just think Denny Crum was interested at one time, he was a pretty big name at the time.

What's the story behind Crum?

The best NU can hope for at this point is Greg Marshall, and even that won't happen. The worst that could happen is Strickland or Altman. Unfortunately, I think the worst is more likely than the best, and the best ain't that good. I was very optimistic when the discussion first started, but as this drags on, I'm becoming more and more confident Tom won't do what he needs to - pay someone 1.75mil or more - and will settle for someone that garners a little excitement for a couple years, but ultimately makes one NCAA tourney at best and has the fanbase back to indifference within 4 years. Please prove me wrong, Tom.

The best NU can hope for at this point is Greg Marshall, and even that won't happen. The worst that could happen is Strickland or Altman. Unfortunately, I think the worst is more likely than the best, and the best ain't that good. I was very optimistic when the discussion first started, but as this drags on, I'm becoming more and more confident Tom won't do what he needs to - pay someone 1.75mil or more - and will settle for someone that garners a little excitement for a couple years, but ultimately makes one NCAA tourney at best and has the fanbase back to indifference within 4 years. Please prove me wrong, Tom.

At this stage, I'd settle for even a whiff of the NCAA Tourney.