S Marcus McWilson [Kentucky - Signed NLI]

Nexus

Do you really think that a new AD that isn't even in the position yet is going to throw a wrench into what the head coach wants to do with his staff?

Sorry, not buying it. It sounds like someone around the water cooler wants to be the big talking dude and made up a story.

It's not coming from one person, and the water cooler thing is just a saying. It's coming from people in the know that are usually spot on such as da Skers.

This has been rumored for the last few off seasons, not much of a surprise, and it's probably mostly fan driven but where there's smoke...

Marrow leaving hurt our class.

- No Beau Sandland

- McWilson is all but gone

- Lost a ton of Ohio Connections

Bo, Beck, and Els have Ohio connections. So I am not worried about that. They were recruiting in Ohio prior to Marrow becoming a GA. And Marrow didn't recruit every Ohio kid we have now. I don't think he was even the lead recruiter for Greg Hart and that was his "coaching" position. So I don't think we will lose much of the groundwork that has been set. Also, Marrow has been credited for kids leaving our class this year. One being a guy the staff didn't even want and now McWilson. I would say we will be okay.

As for Sandland, I would have been more upset if he had gone to Kentucky. But if he wants to wallow in a cesspool of an empty stadium with infractions looming over the team, more power to him.

We wouldn't have landed Sandland even if Marrow would have stayed here. He showed little interest and I think most of it was for attention. If it was all about Marrow, wouldn't you think Sandland would have made a visit to Kentucky?

No because he couldnt get into the SEC schools because of a math class he took online, the SEC didn't recognize it. And yes, we would've gotten him if Marrow didn't leave. Sandland said he wanted to play for Marrow.

Good call. I forgot about that.

Well, if people keep saying cotton's gone every year, they've gotta be right eventually. Might take another ten or fifteen years, but dadgummit, they'll be right one of these years.

True. If you've followed my posts enough Im not an advocate of firing Barney, I think he does a good job. I think we could certainly do better with someone that can recruit but I don't like calling for people's jobs when they have a family and a life to support, especially over a college game. I don't take it that seriously. Like I said its probably mostly fan driven, but I do believe that Bo would rather do something like move him into the AD than just firing him. That's why I tend to believe it, I can see Bo being loyal like he did with all of his other coaches. Barney also helps Beck a lot in the booth during the game and he's valuable in that sense.

Not every kid feels like they have to walk into a school that is full of winning tradition. I actually respect some of these kids. They are the type that believe in themselves, their teammates and their coaches and want to build that winning tradition. If recruiting was as big of a national spectacle back when Devaney was hired people would have been saying the same thing about many of those guys that built NU football. They did it because they believed in something greater than past performance being a guarantee of future results.

Plus the kid is going to be with a guy who is like a second father to him. Good luck to McWilson. At least he did it the right way as opposed to a certain other commit that shall remain nameless.

Nailed just about everything in this post, especially the bolded sentences. After a few days of irrational hysteria at the thought of getting a recruit stolen by Kentucky, I have come back to the realm of reason, realizing that he probably had his own personal reasons for picking them besides prestige. Good luck to the kid, by all accounts he sounded like a high-character, level-headed individual who would have been a positive representative of the program both on and off the field. Won't be surprised if he has an outstanding career at UK.

I think we may trump up 'tradition' more than it may be worth ( I know that sounds like blasphemy). Extending the 'tradition' sales-pitch to recruits, like blessed2bahusker alluded to, Old glory stories make us feel warm and cozy inside as fans but it has decreases in impact as a selling point with each year we don't sustain that level, or very near that level, of winning, making the winning of championships a 'tradition'. Our traditions of prior success is long-gone and we had to start back up from scratch after 2007 to hopefully try to get near that level (it was a ridiculous standard of winning that will likely never be replicated again in CFB and unrealistic to expect). As the years go on recruits will be less and less familiar with our prior status unless they catch the occasional reference on ESPN. My perception is that the tradition and the pageantry that elicits the fuzzy feel-good sentiments for fanbases of CFB powerhouses, is becoming less and less of a selling point for top recruits anyway these days. In this hyper-commecialization era, it seems finding the school which gives you the best chance to make yourself into a bona fide marketable, superstar athlete to eventually land in the NFL has increasingly become one of the biggest priorities for many of the nation's top recruits. I could be completely wrong though, I'm not the one visiting recruits in their living room.

i agree with what you said about tradition if we dont start winning like we used to these stories of tradition we tell recruits will have happened before they were born kids from this recruiting class were like 3 or 4 the last time NU won a national title it got to be hard to try and sell how good the team was 15 years ago to try and get a kid to play for you today

I'm sure Da Skers can verify how true this is, but it's been said that they tried to move Cotton to another position, basically creating a new position from what I've gathered, and th new AD didn't sign off on it, and TO did or would have

That's the word around the water cooler, maybe da Skers will see this and verify as It may not be completely accurate.

No truth.

I'm sure Da Skers can verify how true this is, but it's been said that they tried to move Cotton to another position, basically creating a new position from what I've gathered, and th new AD didn't sign off on it, and TO did or would have

That's the word around the water cooler, maybe da Skers will see this and verify as It may not be completely accurate.

No truth.

Thanks

- No Beau Sandland

Bo, Beck, and Els have Ohio connections. So I am not worried about that. They were recruiting in Ohio prior to Marrow becoming a GA. And Marrow didn't recruit every Ohio kid we have now. I don't think he was even the lead recruiter for Greg Hart and that was his "coaching" position. So I don't think we will lose much of the groundwork that has been set. Also, Marrow has been credited for kids leaving our class this year. One being a guy the staff didn't even want and now McWilson. I would say we will be okay.

As for Sandland, I would have been more upset if he had gone to Kentucky. But if he wants to wallow in a cesspool of an empty stadium with infractions looming over the team, more power to him.

We wouldn't have landed Sandland even if Marrow would have stayed here. He showed little interest and I think most of it was for attention. If it was all about Marrow, wouldn't you think Sandland would have made a visit to Kentucky?

No because he couldnt get into the SEC schools because of a math class he took online, the SEC didn't recognize it. And yes, we would've gotten him if Marrow didn't leave. Sandland said he wanted to play for Marrow.

Aspeed, I hate to be "that guy", but your sig is a little out-dated again...I would suggest adding McWilson to that list.

- No Beau Sandland

The last one made me chuckle. All we have to do during the season is read through pages of rubbish bitching about Bo and his Ohio buddies. This made me laugh.

Not differing with you in any speed, because I agree with. It just made me chuckle a bit, because I know you get it.

Yes, we may still have some Ohio connections with Bo, Beck, and Els spent some time with Solich, but we did in fact lose some that Marrow had of which those 3 did not.

No truth.

The word was Bo didn't even counter the offer.