New DB coach

Did you read my entire post? I addressed that Bo would pick up the slack there, and he even stated as recently as today that he could do that if called upon.

I did and I still disagree. Bo is a great coach but he can't do everything. Bo needs to hire the best assistant coaches he can and then get out of the way and let them do the job they were hired to do.

Seems a logical choice with the recruiter strengths. IIRC, Bo has consulted a firm to assist in identifying quality kids through the questions they ask and the answers they get. It would appear that Bo is really making an effort to improve in this area. As much grief as Bo and Co have gotten ref recruiting misses/busts this makes sense. The guy can also hit up SEC country to get us more "talent". He didn't get the job at UT by not being able to coach. Anxious to see how he does.

Did you read my entire post? I addressed that Bo would pick up the slack there, and he even stated as recently as today that he could do that if called upon.

I did and I still disagree. Bo is a great coach but he can't do everything. Bo needs to hire the best assistant coaches he can and then get out of the way and let them do the job they were hired to do.

Anyone remember Osborne was basically his own OC?

Just look at the kids he landed in last years class where he went head to head with NU. LaDarrell McNeil and Daniel Gray. Both solid kids that would have fit in perfectly here at NU. His track record of landing high quality kids as their primary recruiter is very impressive. Especially when one considers the product than Dooley has been putting on the field in Knoxville. I like this move if/WHEN it becomes official.

Bo says there's "no hurry" to finding a new DB coach?

:ahhhhhhhh

Because secondary is Bo's "speciality" when it comes to defense and has stated that he has not problem coaching the secondary personally along with JP until the right coach is found.

Bo isn't being put in a position to do "everything" but rather tend to the duties of coaching the secondary more along with JP until, like you said, the best assistant coach is found and hired.

Did this guy coach up that

Anyone remember Osborne was basically his own OC?

Well we all know Bo is HC and his own DC. I think it's the addition of that position coaching at DB that makes people think maybe he's taking on too much. Position coaching is much more than just coordinating. You really have to know the fundamentals of the position, not just how you want it to flow on the field. Position coaches teach the guys to execute the things that make it all work.

As for the topic at hand. I think it's pretty funny how ripped apart some people got for suggesting Bo make a hire ASAP. Turns out, that's exactly what Bo was doing. I hope this guys works out and sticks around a while. Glad Bo didn't waste any time with this.

edit: Also....asking first year DC, JP to help coach the DB's.....come on. The guy is a first time DC...I think he needs to focus on that alone.

Well we all know Bo is HC and his own DC. I think it's the addition of that position coaching at DB that makes people think maybe he's taking on too much. Position coaching is much more than just coordinating. You really have to know the fundamentals of the position, not just how you want it to flow on the field. Position coaches teach the guys to execute the things that make it all work.

Who better to temporarily coach the secondary and work on their fundamentals than someone who has played the position in college. Plus didn't he coach the DB's of the San Francisco 49'ers when they beat the Chargers in the Super Bowl?

I would be concerned if this was a long term thing, but it sounds like it might just be the first couple of weeks of spring practice. Worst case scenario, would be that the hire happens after spring ball.

I still say you can't have everything. If it's getting a bad coach and just expecting the HC to cover, I don't like it. However, in this case, it sounds like the emphasis is getting a guy for his recruiting.

Raymond leaving is a big hole, and this is not a bad way to fill it, compared to someone who can coach but cannot recruit.