SIGNED RB Terrell Newby

Nexus

How are you counting zone reads, to Taylor or Ameer? If they are actually being decided by the defense, they almost need their own category since we run them about 10-105 times a game (again, assuming it's not a designed hand-off)

I agree that the zone read is hard to quantify. But if we're running it 105 times per game, I think we'll be doing OK. chuckleshuffle

How are you counting zone reads, to Taylor or Ameer? If they are actually being decided by the defense, they almost need their own category since we run them about 10-105 times a game (again, assuming it's not a designed hand-off)

I agree that the zone read is hard to quantify. But if we're running it 105 times per game, I think we'll be doing OK. chuckleshuffle

Fat fingers strike again. eyeswear2allthatsholy

Fat fingers strike again. eyeswear2allthatsholy

I thought you were making a point....

And to the earlier question.. If the kids come in and dominate...Give them a chance to play.

I should say 5% is more like a toss up for other guys.. anyone not originally listed.

My %'s are getting looked in to more closely than I expected... I should have been more careful.

My %'s are getting looked in to more closely than I expected... I should have been more careful.

Come strong or don't come at all! :D

Martinez averaged about 14 carries per game last year and I don't see that going down much.

I see AA and Heard getting fairly equal carries. Perhaps a bit more to AA but Heard looked really good when he got going last year and if he's healthy it will be interesting to see how he does.

I don't see Cross getting that many carries. He only got about 4 per game this year and won't be higher than #3 on the depth chart. I'd say 5-6 at the most.

As for the two rookies, it could be interesting. I find it hard to believe that our #4 and #5 RB (unless they're ahead of Cross) can have much left for them. As good as I think they both are, I hope at least one redshirts.

I think Cross will see more PT this time. I would love the Huskers to have carries look like this:

if we run the ball 50 times a game

Martinez: 10%-- 5 carries

Ameer: 50%-- 25 carries

Cross 20%-- 10 carries

Heard 15%-- 7.5 carries

Newby/Taylor:5% 2.5 carries

I am fine with Ameer being our guy, but flashes that Heard shows makes me think that if you pick his spots carefully, he can rack up big numbers on small amounts of carries.

If these three remain healthy, there should be no need to play Newby or Taylor.

I also think there is no need to redshirt both Newby and Taylor. In fact, I want and think both should play this year. If I were the coaches (which I clearly am not), I would consider redshirting Heard and moving him back to CB. Then split Heards 15% between Cross, Taylor and Newby. RB is not a position that needs to be redshirted every year. We don't want to become Boise State, where we redshirted every player that comes through the door. Let the play-makers play! JMHO

I also think there is no need to redshirt both Newby and Taylor. In fact, I want and think both should play this year. If I were the coaches (which I clearly am not), I would consider redshirting Heard and moving him back to CB. Then split Heards 15% between Cross, Taylor and Newby. RB is not a position that needs to be redshirted every year. We don't want to become Boise State, where we redshirted every player that comes through the door. Let the play-makers play! JMHO

I agree. That's why I thing Martinez, AA and Heard should get most of the carries.

I agree. That's why I thing Martinez, AA and Heard should get most of the carries.

Wait a minute.

On one hand Lions says to let the player makers play meaning don't redshirt them. Then, he says we should redshirt someone who has proven on the field he can be a pretty darn good RB and knows the offense.

This is the problem I always have with the crowd that says..."The young play makers should be on the field". Well, the same thing was being said about Heard when he was a Freshman. So....are we always going to play freshmen and set upper classmen on the bench?

TBH, I feel Frazier was a bit overhyped because he was a walkon. He had offers to the Dakota schools, but that was about it.

very well could be true. With the stable of backs we have, I honestly don't think he is going to see much playing time if any at all unless there is multiple injuries. However, he could be one of those guys if ever given the chance, he could really surprise the world.

Heard should NOT move back to DB.....Heard will be contesting for starting RB. He's that good.

I understand and completely agree that Heard is that good at RB, the only reason that I think the coaches should CONSIDER moving Heard back to CB is the same reason they moved Steinkuhler from OT to DT. I remember hearing it said that Baker could be an All-American at OT or All-Conference at DT, but we needed him at DT. We need Heard at CB IMO. We didn't take any CB's other than a JUCO in the '12 class, in '11 we took Davie and Jackson but Jackson is already at Safety and it is looking like we might be taking one in this class. We need young CBs. Its not that I think Heard isn't a very good RB, I think he is the most natural RB on the team.

TBH, I feel Frazier was a bit overhyped because he was a walkon. He had offers to the Dakota schools, but that was about it.

very well could be true. With the stable of backs we have, I honestly don't think he is going to see much playing time if any at all unless there is multiple injuries. However, he could be one of those guys if ever given the chance, he could really surprise the world.

Yep. I could see Frazier getting quite a few carries the next couple years due to our soft schedule. He is going to be like a Jay Simms who comes in at the end of some of these blowouts and still takes it to the defense. I think if Frazier ever has to be thrust into duty down the line as a Jr. or Sr. he could impress some people. I think his highlight tape speaks for itself. He is not our usual walk-on RB.