Husker Basketball Recruiting Thread

Miles had a chance to make Chin an assistant coach and chose not to. We cannot hold it against Chin if he wants to be become an assistant coach and help his career. I wouldn't be surprised if Chin stays if next year Miles reevaluates and possibly makes him an assitant coach next year.

According to Illinois blogs, Chin is one of the three candidates that they are looking at so it is not a sure thing that he will be offered.

Was it Miles who wanted him in that particular slot or was it the choice of Chin so he wouldn't need to be traveling........??

The thing about guys like Akoy is they can come in here and be an instant star in one of the best basketball conferences in the country. We also appear to be assembling a pretty good cast of teammates. Add our new facilities that will be second to none ,plus the media's fascination with the underdog story that Miles and Nebraska would be ,and it all adds up to a potentially BIG opportunity. If there's a school that supports its athletes more than Nebraska, I'd like to know what it is?

Based on what? that he played pretty good in high school? It's amazing how much people hype up these kids and expect them to come and be some game changer. Sure we could be better with him, but i think it's better if we don't put 1,000 lbs on his shoulder to come in here and make us a winning program because it isn't going to happen. I've watched him in plenty of games. He is a big body in the post, he can block shots and put pressure on shooters (ibaka) but has very average offense...which ever program he chooses he will be a mess for offenses in the middle, but he will not average 20 some points, maybe 10-14ish. He would be a big addition, but we will see what happens, and if he does choose a bigger program he will come off the bench whereas he could see good playing time right away here.

Based on that we're a lousy team in a great league and if they are any good and make an impact here they would be noticed nationally. Why are you worried about putting pressure on this guy with 30 legit offers or any other top recruit who might consider the opportunity here? If they suck it doesn't matter where they go, if they're good they would get a ton of recognition here.

Would you guys like to see Miles build this team with top talent that may only stay a year or two or with guys that with be 4 year guys in more of a mid major mold.

I would love to see guys that only stay a year or two, because that means we are raking in some incredible talent and are doing well as a team.... Or that they decide they don't like it here and just transfer :sarcasm

Would you guys like to see Miles build this team with top talent that may only stay a year or two or with guys that with be 4 year guys in more of a mid major mold.

Either would be fine. I'd think unless Miles is an amazing recruiter, he's going to have to start with the latter option. That's how he's done it everywhere else, and like it or not, we're THAT bad. I think it's going to be extremely difficult to get any of the top guys to come here. We've got Coleman which is an amazing start for those guys. But actually closing on them is going to be too hard until we have some real success, make a tourney or two. Unless one of them is in our backyard (Akoy) or falls in love with NU for some reason.

That said, I'd like to get some success under our belt to bump up the visibility, then attract some big time guys. Top recruits beget other top recruits.

Not to sound like a debbie downer, but Chin interviewing with Illinois might mean he is not committed to Husker basketball. Maybe he doesn't want to be here and won't to full effort into our program. Who knows :dunno

Sounds a lot like CCR to me. If so, we can always hope to luck out and land a Terry Joseph like replacement, who is likely even an improvement, if and when we need to cross that bridge.

Miles had a chance to make Chin an assistant coach and chose not to. We cannot hold it against Chin if he wants to be become an assistant coach and help his career. I wouldn't be surprised if Chin stays if next year Miles reevaluates and possibly makes him an assitant coach next year.

According to Illinois blogs, Chin is one of the three candidates that they are looking at so it is not a sure thing that he will be offered.

Was it Miles who wanted him in that particular slot or was it the choice of Chin so he wouldn't need to be traveling........??

Thats a fair question, based on what I have read from past interviews Chin has given, he says his goal is to become an assistant and then head coach someday. Considering he has now interviewed with Illinois and Illinois State for assistant positions, I would say that is a strong indication that he would prefer to be an assistant coach and that it was Miles decision. (I know it doesn't matter now with the Illinois opening filled, but something to keep an eye on in the future)

From an article it sounds like Chin was assured a spot on Miles staff but depending upon how the hiring went he could end up as a DOBO or an Asst. I think he bumped when Harriman hired on. It's all about timing. I don't know if the following is true, but this is my perception of the events.

When the hiring began Coach Miles said he wanted 1 assistant with Big 10 ties. He got that with Ben Johnson who played for Minnesota. Hot young coach with some experience and recruiting ties.

Coach Smith then joined Nebraska when CSU hired Eustacy as Head Coach. Smith has been Miles right hand man since the beginning and is an experienced assistant. He is reported to be very good with game planning and scouting and a good recruiter so it makes sense that he became an assistant. Then it got down to the Eric Strickland interviews. I think they were liking what they were hearing. If Eric was hired Chin would of been an assistant and Eric the DOBO but then Coach Harriman popped on the radar before those interviews were done. Harriman was to good to pass up. Experienced assistant with great recruiting ties both aau and internationally. His Aussie ties could payoff big time. There's a couple of franchise aussie prepsters (underclassmen) that would be awesome. His hire made it tough for Miles to give Chin an assistant spot because while Chin has some great recruiting ties and is a good teacher. He doesn't have as much college level experience as the others. The best way to leverage his strengths was to make him a DOBO, especially with the new recruiting rules.

I think if one of the other coaches were to leave then I think Chin would get promoted up and it could be that Strickland ends up as DOBO then. Of course it all depends upon timing and how far out those events are.

From an article it sounds like Chin was assured a spot on Miles staff but depending upon how the hiring went he could end up as a DOBO or an Asst. I think he bumped when Harriman hired on. It's all about timing. I don't know if the following is true, but this is my perception of the events.

When the hiring began Coach Miles said he wanted 1 assistant with Big 10 ties. He got that with Ben Johnson who played for Minnesota. Hot young coach with some experience and recruiting ties.

Coach Smith then joined Nebraska when CSU hired Eustacy as Head Coach. Smith has been Miles right hand man since the beginning and is an experienced assistant. He is reported to be very good with game planning and scouting and a good recruiter so it makes sense that he became an assistant. Then it got down to the Eric Strickland interviews. I think they were liking what they were hearing. If Eric was hired Chin would of been an assistant and Eric the DOBO but then Coach Harriman popped on the radar before those interviews were done. Harriman was to good to pass up. Experienced assistant with great recruiting ties both aau and internationally. His Aussie ties could payoff big time. There's a couple of franchise aussie prepsters (underclassmen) that would be awesome. His hire made it tough for Miles to give Chin an assistant spot because while Chin has some great recruiting ties and is a good teacher. He doesn't have as much college level experience as the others. The best way to leverage his strengths was to make him a DOBO, especially with the new recruiting rules.

I think if one of the other coaches were to leave then I think Chin would get promoted up and it could be that Strickland ends up as DOBO then. Of course it all depends upon timing and how far out those events are.

Sounds like a reasonable synopsis................thanks for sharing.....