Martinez QB Camp Update

Tommie was a big-time, heralded recruit, but as an athlete more than a QB. I know ND offered him as a QB, and you mentioned Clemson. Not very many schools wanted him as QB.

Regardless, none of that is the point. The point is that when Nebraska has been successful in the past, they took risks in recruiting that other schools simply didn't take. That's how we got teams that were as talented as programs located in much more populous, talent-rich areas.

I cringe when I hear people complain about going after a guy like Taylor Martinez. Getting tremendous athletes like him are exactly how Nebraska will get back to the top. When they don't work out at QB, you can get an electric WR like Jamal Turner or Bobby Newcombe. When they do work out at QB, you get a guy like Taylor who will hold most of the school QB records by the time he leaves.

For us to be competitive at the highest level, you have to do things differently - sometimes it's recruiting guys like Scott Frost or Eric Crouch to play positions that other teams wouldn't have them play, sometimes it's doing things like we are doing right now with the Big Red Weekend. We have to be unique, we have to take risks, and we have to be innovative in order to win championships again.

Couldn't have said it better myself if I'd tried. Great post.

i hope this staff picks qbs in the future that have demonstrated they can play the position and throw the ball......remember, NU was the only shcool willing to recruit him as a qb.......

Yes, me too. This Martinez guy has just been terrible for us. I sure hope they never take such a huge risk on anyone again because it clearly never works out.

That's right. That's why we recruited & won big games with Frost, Frazier & Crouch...because they were wizards throwing the ball. We need to get back to recruiting great throwing qbs.

We're clearly not running the same offense we were running when we recruited "athletes" like Frost, Frazier, and Crouch. Clearly Nebraska's offense would benefit from a much better thrower nowadays. Let's not just completely overlook the facts just so you can support your own argument, which you are clearly doing here bshirt. Hunter simply said he hopes Nebraska starts recruiting more able passers at the QB position. I completely agree that we need more capable passers at Nebraska and we have needed one for quite a long time. I think we finally found some capable passers with Brion Carnes and Tommy Armstrong. Let's just hope they can hone their skills and become capable on this level of football.

Some of you nancy's are so adamant about defending Taylor that you completely jump all over any comment about the QB position.

Hunter simply said he hopes Nebraska starts recruiting more able passers at the QB position.

Some of you nancy's are so adamant about defending Taylor that you completely jump all over any comment about the QB position.

Sorry, but no. He did not simply say he hopes Nebraska starts recruiting more able passers.

"i hope this staff picks qbs in the future that have demonstrated they can play the position and throw the ball......remember, NU was the only shcool willing to recruit him as a qb......."

This quote comes directly after him saying that Martinez should have camped last year. I don't disagree with that, but he's saying that Martinez can't play the position, can't throw the ball, and he's implying that Martinez shouldn't have been recruited by us as a QB. The fact that we think that's a bunch of B.S. doesn't make us "so adamant about defending Taylor that you completely jump all over any comment." Just the idiotic comments. And in case anyone forgot, this is in a topic called "Martinez QB Camp Update." This isn't some random recruiting topic where the comment you pretend he "simply" made would have been completely different.

• Fire 3

Over the last year, I've basically resorted to having no opinion on Taylor, because both the Taylor defenders and the Taylor haters are just unbearably annoying and I'm not sure which party sucks more ass.

"It is what it is" will be my new motto regarding Taylor. f#*k this discussion.

• Fire 3

Over the last year, I've basically resorted to having no opinion on Taylor, because both the Taylor defenders and the Taylor haters are just unbearably annoying and I'm not sure which party sucks more ass.

"It is what it is" will be my new motto regarding Taylor. f#*k this discussion.

The haters demonstrably suck more ass.

You can once again have an opinion on Taylor.

Wow....talk about hitting the nail on the head. Great post!

NU fans thinking we're going to magically go toe-to-toe recruiting with Alabama, USC, Texas, Ohio State, etc just don't get it. TO couldn't hack that. "Nobody" at NU has ever done that. We don't have anything even remotely close to the local talent available those schools do.

So just as you said, we have to do something different. Unique.

The concept of recruiting an ATH is not unique at all! We, among many programs, always have and always will. Maybe we could make it so by recruiting more than the average program, although the competition for the best of these is always going to be fierce.

Anyway, in talking about QB recruiting only, and not guys who for one reason or another find their way to the position, Hunter is right. We can't completely stock that depth with pure athletes, because QB is a position you need to have great depth in, and that is just asking for it. Asking for frequent situations where a few guys don't pan out and you look around and think, "Man, we have a lot of spare parts who could be WR/TE/S, but no real quarterbacks."

Put another way, we can't keep recruiting Cody Green types only. At one point I was concerned this was where we were headed. But as demonstrated by recruiting the past couple year and this year, I think, that's not the direction we are going. We're getting athletic guys who are legitimate prospects at both. The Brions and Tommys, these are our guys.

For the record, TMarts motion dramatically improved from year one to two.

:hmmph I personally thought it got worse due to the ankle injury and turf toe.

At any rate it certainly wasn't dramatically improved.

I'm with you guys. Improvement? Debateable. Dramatic improvement? No way.

I still say most on this board have no idea of what the kid went through, a high ankle sprain can take years to totally recover from, it is ungodly painful, and turf toe on the other foot is extremely hard to get over, I have had both and know what the pain is and how long it takes. And I do pretty good with pain, had both of my knees replaced on the 19th of March, have been walking on them since the next morning and have complete use of them, and they did not hurt as bad as the high ankle sprain I got in Marine Boot Camp. Turf toe playing base football at Pendleton was on going for months. I still after 40 years can tweak the ankle and feel it. I can not imagine trying to run a Division one football team with one of those injuries let alone both at the same time... I am hoping he has recovered from the ankle injury, I still have my doubts, and as most remember I harped on this all last season. This kid is a warrior, and I am hoping he will get his just rewards, he is a pretty nice kid and does not deserve the hate he gets.

I will also add, once you have had serious ankle problems, most never get over them, I know I have not.

• Fire 2

I still say most on this board have no idea of what the kid went through, a high ankle sprain can take years to totally recover from, it is ungodly painful, and turf toe on the other foot is extremely hard to get over, I have had both and know what the pain is and how long it takes. And I do pretty good with pain, had both of my knees replaced on the 19th of March, have been walking on them since the next morning and have complete use of them, and they did not hurt as bad as the high ankle sprain I got in Marine Boot Camp. Turf toe playing base football at Pendleton was on going for months. I still after 40 years can tweak the ankle and feel it. I can not imagine trying to run a Division one football team with one of those injuries let alone both at the same time... I am hoping he has recovered from the ankle injury, I still have my doubts, and as most remember I harped on this all last season. This kid is a warrior, and I am hoping he will get his just rewards, he is a pretty nice kid and does not deserve the hate he gets.

I will also add, once you have had serious ankle problems, most never get over them, I know I have not.

This is the problem right here. It's not just you either. It's quite a few here that somehow turn a question of Martinez's QB skills into a question of his morality, personality, and humanity. It's such a crock of sh#t. The kid does seem like a good kid. He's got to be tough to play with the pain that you are describing. He deserves a chance to be successful on the football field. He's ahtletic and talented enough he probably could have played a lot of other positions. It's too bad the coaches did not give him the opportunity to become great at a position he would have a future in. That is, if he wants to have a future in football. It won't be at Quarterback. I hope nobody actually "HATES" the kid because he struggles at QB. But that's all anyone here is questioning.......His QB play is not very good, and we are all just hoping it gets better. It has to get better for this team to be successful. In the end, we all just want to win games. Stop spinning it into more than it is.

As far as his injuries go. If they are still lingering as severely as you say, it purely amazes me that Brion Carnes would only take a couple snaps all season long. I mean wow! If Taylor's injuries are so terrible, you would think this staff would give him a break whenever they could?! They must really like to see Taylor suffer. Surely, continuing to play on it is only making it worse, not better.

I'm not getting into the Martinez debate anymore because it's absolutely pointless, but nobody above said a damn word about the kids character or commitment. He's obviously a good teammate because all of the other players have nothing but good things to say about him. He's clearly committed or we would be having this discussion on a thread about Taylor seeking out help with his mechanics. You don't do the things he's done to get better if your not committed. I hope he get's better, or at least good enough to make this offense move.

A couple of things. First, the Martinez/Frazier comparison joined with the idea of developing players is completely fair, but only if other factors remain constant. In this case most other factors don't. Two almost entirely separate staffs worked with these two quarterbacks, player development is one of our current staff's inconsistencies, and I doubt our coaches seriously believed Martinez would be Nebraska's next starting quarterback when they said they'd give him a chance. Osborne and Co. probably brought Frazier in with serious implications of him eventually being the starter, and that staff was skilled at developing players. It's not fair to compare these two given so many other variables are in play.

Second, I still believe Martinez' play is one of the less problematic issues on this team. Unfortunately for him, he's gone through life with nobody teaching him proper mechanics. It's challenging to overcome this hurdle when one has spent so much time doing something a certain way. I don't blame Martinez in the slightest for his poor mechanics. If this team had better line play, especially offensively, I think we would be a serious BCS bowl contender. Until then, guys like Martinez will continue to take heat for a problem that isn't exclusive to them.

• Fire 2