I understand the comparisons between Rex, and Ball, because they are both outstanding backs that bring a lot to (if not carry) their teams....However, I don't understand how Rittenburg comes to the conclusion that Silas Redd and Burkhead "were close for the #2 spot" on his list.... That makes no sense....

I understand the comparisons between Rex, and Ball, because they are both outstanding backs that bring a lot to (if not carry) their teams....However, I don't understand how Rittenburg comes to the conclusion that Silas Redd and Burkhead "were close for the #2 spot" on his list.... That makes no sense....

Rex is a much better back than Silas....Silas is good, BUT NOT REX ROLLIN GOOD.

Ball has obviously been a part of better overall teams. Rex is Rex, though. He brings a lot to the table that's not just his athletic talent.

Has Ball played on better teams or have other players simply had the privilege of playing around Ball?

Ball has played behind significantly more effective, more well-coached and more talented offensive lines. Put Ball behind Nebraska's offensive line and he doesn't have last year's stats.

• Fire 1

I love Rex Burkhead, but he isn't the great back people make him out to be. We love him because he's a good kid, a hard worker, blue collar...everything Nebraska fans want in a player. But if you watch his film, which myself and others have, he has a lot of room for improvement. My guess is he'd be the first to tell you that. He had several pass protection issues last year and there were handfuls of times he made poor reads when taking a handoff.

He's a good back and he's a great player, but if I had to pick between Redd and Burkhead purely from an athletic standpoint, I think that's a much tougher call then some people give it credit.

• Fire 2

I love Rex Burkhead, but he isn't the great back people make him out to be. We love him because he's a good kid, a hard worker, blue collar...everything Nebraska fans want in a player. But if you watch his film

I don't agree with this. I can't count the number of times I've said "holy crap" because I can't believe he stayed on his feet during a play. I think he's just as good as we say he is, and if he remains off the radar (nationally), some NFL team is going to find out that they were very lucky in picking him.

• Fire 1

I think we'll see quite a difference this year. Though Wisconsin still has an OLine, it will depends on their QB play. Teams playing NU key in on Rex because they know the pass play is 50/50 with our QB and receivers not catching the ball allowing them to key in on Rex. If Wiscy doesn't have a QB the same will be done to Ball this year and his production could drop quite a bit. If we have receivers who can actually catch the ball 90-95% of the time rather than 50-60% of the time Rex will have a much easier chance to make big plays and look the part of the leagues top back.

Again, we'll see how Wiscy's QB play goes this year and go from there. I have faith our receivers and Martinez will have gelled and Rex will have a breakout season, but again, they've proven me wrong many times unfortunately the last few years.

As much as I like Rex, I'd have to put him in the 3 spot behind Ball and Redd. And I'm not sure who I'd give the nod to, Redd or Ball. Ball had the gaudy stats last year. But he was running behind a better O-line. Seeing the 2011 highlight reel of Redd above, he might be just as good as Ball. Maybe better.

I watched the first 2:30 of that video ^^^. All but 30 seconds of it were against Indiana St., Temple and E. Michigan, and none of it was all that impressive based on the opponent.

I'll see your Silas Redd video and raise you a Rex Burkhead video. All due respect to Redd, there is no way in hell I'd trade him for Burkhead - on strictly running ability alone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uyld3EtRof0

• Fire 6

I watched the first 2:30 of that video ^^^. All but 30 seconds of it were against Indiana St., Temple and E. Michigan, and none of it was all that impressive based on the opponent.

I'll see your Silas Redd video and raise you a Rex Burkhead video. All due respect to Redd, there is no way in hell I'd trade him for Burkhead - on strictly running ability alone.

True. But the first few games in the season were non-conf opponents. So if you only watch the first 2:30, the only decent team you'll see is Alabama. The B10 opponents are towards the end.