Why not Brion Carnes

I am sure that this topic has been brought up before, but I could not find a thread on it so here we go. Why is it that Brion Carnes is not able to even push Taylor Martinez for the starting position. He doesnt even get much "clean up" time during blowouts (not that there have been a ton of those anyway). I remember Cody Green battling it out with Taylor Martinez and Taylor won obviously but there was sme debate. I suppose my question is why are we so invested in Taylor Martinez? Why has Bo Pelini stuck with him so long? Would anyone argue that Brion Carnes has more natural ability as a pure passer, better throwing motion, better footwork, and comes from a better pedigree of football? Manatee High School is one of the best high schools in the country. Why has Brion Carnes never been given a chance in live action? Is there something that I am missing? Like I said, maybe I have missed other conversations on this topic. I just feel like we have all our eggs in this basket and the basket isnt producing champioship results. We cant throw verticals, bubble screens, slants, sprint outs, or 5 yard outs. Surely the coaching staff sees this. Every year we get our hopes up that Taylor Martinez is going to make this vast improvement and it just hasnt happened. He has been the QB for the better part of 3 years and has made only minimal improvement. And yet not much talk about the second QB. Why is this?

• Fire 1

My understanding is that Carnes couldn't grasp the whole offense. Bo said, "there is a pretty wide margin between the two"

While I wholeheartedly agree some good game action would help Carnes a ton, if you can't run the whole offense you're not going to see much action.

I could be wrong

I am sure that this topic has been brought up before, but I could not find a thread on it so here we go. Why is it that Brion Carnes is not able to even push Taylor Martinez for the starting position. He doesnt even get much "clean up" time during blowouts (not that there have been a ton of those anyway). I remember Cody Green battling it out with Taylor Martinez and Taylor won obviously but there was sme debate. I suppose my question is why are we so invested in Taylor Martinez? Why has Bo Pelini stuck with him so long? Would anyone argue that Brion Carnes has more natural ability as a pure passer, better throwing motion, better footwork, and comes from a better pedigree of football? Manatee High School is one of the best high schools in the country. Why has Brion Carnes never been given a chance in live action? Is there something that I am missing? Like I said, maybe I have missed other conversations on this topic. I just feel like we have all our eggs in this basket and the basket isnt producing champioship results. We cant throw verticals, bubble screens, slants, sprint outs, or 5 yard outs. Surely the coaching staff sees this. Every year we get our hopes up that Taylor Martinez is going to make this vast improvement and it just hasnt happened. He has been the QB for the better part of 3 years and has made only minimal improvement. And yet not much talk about the second QB. Why is this?

1) Why are we so invested in Taylor?

Because he's been our quarterback for two straight years now. You don't just give a guy that much playing time with fairly decent results and then just hand the reins over to someone else.

2) I love the argument that if we put Brion Carnes in, instead of Taylor, that we will win championships. It makes perfect sense...

3) Every year we get our hopes up that Taylor is going to make vast improvements...

Every year? So what, last year? Good sample size. And to be honest, he made great improvements last year. He made much better decisions on the option play and he knew when to scramble and when to attempt a pass.

Finally, anyone who says Taylor has been our quarterback for a better part of 3 years has obviously not been watching this football team.

• Fire 1

Sometimes these things are fairly straight forward. I read a quote from Bo where he was saying that Tommy Armstrong would get playing time if he's ready. I like Brion and was thrilled with his 2011 spring game performance. But the fact remains that spring game success doesn't mean much of anything and Brion, if he was a capable quarterback, would have gotten extensive playing time by now. He can't impress the coaches in practice. He hasn't earned their trust, and for that reason we have to assume Carnes is simply not that good. The coaches have not given up on him and I am sure they hope his play improves so that we can add depth to the QB, or, better yet, have a great quarterback capable of winning championships. But with continued recruitment of QBs, which is a given, Carnes has just a few options: 1. Improve exponentially. 2. Quit the team. 3. Accept a position as permanent clip board holder.

Bo doesn't really want to win football games. He's not competitive in the least, so he plays the worst players on his roster.

Either that or Carnes isn't making plays in practice and isn't anywhere close enough to understanding the playbook for the staff to feel comfortable having him on the field.

You decide which scenario makes more sense.

• Fire 4