No more two gap Dline- Says Coach K

What's weird is I just heard some radio guy say this afternoon that Kaz said we weren't changing schemes at all. We were going to do the same thing, just more aggressively.

Whatever, if this is true it's a welcome change. The two-gap scheme worked well enough with Suh and Crick, but with both of them gone a less specialized attack is probably smarter.

He has put quite a few guys in the league. Glad to hear that we are adjusting.

An attacking D Line, mixed with an attacking secondary should make for a pretty salty D.

Regardless of schemes, having guys like SUH, Haag, Prince, Gomes etc really probably hid some issues in the 2 gap scheme. I really hope to see this translate into more sacks, hurries and TFL. Seems last year that we played to many games behind the 8-ball on 3rd downs. I really hope that this new scheme unleashes the hounds. No more patty cake, 2 yrds off the LOS.

IMO, it also shows that Bo although stubborn, isn't stupid. He has brought in a D line coach from the B1G who has a proven track record of success and a DB coach who wants our DB's to play like those who have won 2 MNC in 3 years. Not bad guys to emulate.

Pelini's two-gap system worked exceedingly well for us in 2009 and was successful in 2010. Unfortunately, despite retaining most of our defensive line talent in 2011, the two gap system simply didn't work against our opponents. Our terrible stats in TFL's and sacks proves this. I'm glad to see the coaches directly addressing the problem.

Early in Pelini's head coaching career, I thought the reason our ends were playing fairly passive is because we could get away with it because Suh and Crick could do so much damage on their own. I have since learned that isn't the case. A more aggressive approach would be a welcome change, IMHO.

Pelini's two-gap system worked exceedingly well for us in 2009 and was successful in 2010. Unfortunately, despite retaining most of our defensive line talent in 2011, the two gap system simply didn't work against our opponents. Our terrible stats in TFL's and sacks proves this. I'm glad to see the coaches directly addressing the problem.

Should work well with Suh drawing double and triple teams! Probably why Crick had a career year!

Should work well with Suh drawing double and triple teams! Probably why Crick had a career year!

What about in 2010 when Crick put up nearly identical numbers without Suh, as he did with Suh?

Was the 2 gap part of the "bend but don't break" philosophy? It seems that attacking Dlinemen will present a higher risk/reward scenario. More sacks and TFL's, but more plays that get past the line and into the secondary. Perhaps the strength of the secondary this year allows for more gambling up front.

Has the philosophy changed? Is it in response to the B1G, or in response to the lack of dominant DLinemen?

It will be fun to watch.

Was the 2 gap part of the "bend but don't break" philosophy? It seems that attacking Dlinemen will present a higher risk/reward scenario. More sacks and TFL's, but more plays that get past the line and into the secondary. Perhaps the strength of the secondary this year allows for more gambling up front.

IMHO, especially against mobile QBs, containment isn't about waiting for them to try and escape. Containment is about getting to him before he gets started. Same goes for stopping the RBs. The only downfall to an attacking D-Line IMO is vulnerability to RB screen plays, but not a whole lot of college teams run screens.