What did we learn?

After watching the replay, I can understand the resurgence of T-martmania, but I think the thing that gave me the most hope, was the play of the O line.

They played pretty well, especially in pass protection. It wasn't perfect, but it was a good starting point. One thing I saw Saturday that I didn't like was we had several plays where players either didn't hit anybody off the snap or they miffed on their blocking assignments. Reminiscent of last year. Overall, though, not a lot to complain about.

it's amazing how much better your QB looks when the receivers actually catch the ball

Yeah, this is key. Taylor was threading the needle. And the receivers were doing a much better job of hanging onto the ball. Only a couple droppsies the whole game--which is a HUGE improvement over last year. :thumbs:

The stats may show one thing but my own eyes saw another. The DL and LBs are weak. Very weak. They will be exposed by decent offenses. Particularly any offense with a mobile QB . . . like Michigan and Ohio State.

<snip>

Relating this back to Nebraska football: We have a segment of fans (not saying you) that desperately want, need, and/or hope, that Nebraska fails simply so they can revel in being "right" and no amount of success or otherwise empirical data will change their opinion.

You don't actually believe this, do you? :rolleyes:

Taylor Taylor Taylor!

What a difference this offseason made. With few exceptions, he looked phenomenal on Saturday. I can't remember if he ever ran the ball (seriously, I can think of one carry, but I sort of fell asleep at the end of the replay I was watching), but his comfort level within this offense has really grown. Credit to Taylor and Beck for some serious work done, especially in getting the mechanics down. The announcers talked a lot about both his footwork, and his upper body control, and it was pretty evident throughout the day.

Something else everybody will love: it seems we may be finally developing a rollout game out of Taylor. This is where the body control really comes in, and it is the kind of thing with which Carr & Fresno State feasted on us last year. Always somebody open in that flat. Awesome as well to see some serious zip on some of those throws, and some beautiful hitting-in-stride as well.

SoMiss ain't no powerhouse, but how much better do you want a performance to be? Jaw-dropping statline!

Also, maybe one of the most interesting developments, but Taylor seems to be MUCH improved at improvising when the play breaks down. He made at least one or two great plays after scrambling that I can remember. Not necessarily ones that went for many yards, but just head's up, bail-out-of-a-bad-situation kind of plays. The first one, he ducked out of a pass rush, shifted out of the pocket to his left, and hit his man in the flat for maybe 3 yards.

• Fire 1

Listen, I love measuring the changes in Taylor Martinez's footwork down to the micron as much as anybody, and there can be no doubt he's a better passer than he was last season.

But I remain the lonely voice that says he wasn't that bad of a passer last year. Something that really improves your confidence and completion percentage? Receivers who hold onto the ball. Why did he have such trouble completing long passes last season? He didn't have those five relaxing seconds in the pocket to check down his receivers and plant a foot (any foot) like he did against Southern Miss. He was running an offense on Saturday that knew exactly what it was doing, executed penalty free ball, dominated the line and never asked him to take off running or invent something out of nothing.

Three cheers for his throwing mechanics and everything, but that's not the whole story. Or even that much of the story. And it won't be the story when Taylor has lesser games against tougher opponents.

He's got the confidence you want in a QB, and that includes not folding under the pressure of inane Husker fanbase chatter.

• Fire 1

Listen, I love measuring the changes in Taylor Martinez's footwork down to the micron as much as anybody, and there can be no doubt he's a better passer than he was last season.

But I remain the lonely voice that says he wasn't that bad of a passer last year. Something that really improves your confidence and completion percentage? Receivers who hold onto the ball. Why did he have such trouble completing long passes last season? He didn't have those five relaxing seconds in the pocket to check down his receivers and plant a foot (any foot) like he did against Southern Miss. He was running an offense on Saturday that knew exactly what it was doing, executed penalty free ball, dominated the line and never asked him to take off running or invent something out of nothing.

Three cheers for his throwing mechanics and everything, but that's not the whole story. Or even that much of the story. And it won't be the story when Taylor has lesser games against tougher opponents.

He's got the confidence you want in a QB, and that includes not folding under the pressure of inane Husker fanbase chatter.

Agree it's not the whole story - but he didn't have 5 seconds very often Saturday either. For once he moved outside of the pocket. We call it scrambling...something he has never done well in his career. If there is one improvement in his game that was noticible that was it. The receivers are going to drop some balls, welcome to football. Prepare yourself for it. It will happen. Defenses will collapse the pocket quicker than Southern Miss. Count on it. However, if Taylor can continue to have the awareness that he showed on Saturday, buy himself some time and progress through his reads...I can almost guarentee you with the talent we have at WR there will be someone open.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/ncaa/gameflash/2010/10/23/42309_boxscore.html

I learned that martinez has done this before. I thought he played a magnificent game. The D needs to tackle better. I'm not jumping on the Tmajic campaign just yet. But I think he has shown improvement. I hope he can maintain this against some real defenses. As of right now it looks like if our D improves, that we have a shot at the B1G title

Agree it's not the whole story - but he didn't have 5 seconds very often Saturday either. For once he moved outside of the pocket. We call it scrambling...something he has never done well in his career. If there is one improvement in his game that was noticible that was it. The receivers are going to drop some balls, welcome to football. Prepare yourself for it. It will happen. Defenses will collapse the pocket quicker than Southern Miss. Count on it. However, if Taylor can continue to have the awareness that he showed on Saturday, buy himself some time and progress through his reads...I can almost guarentee you with the talent we have at WR there will be someone open.

I respectfully contend that he had a LOT more time to watch plays develop last Saturday than the average game the past two seasons.

And I think he's been a pretty good scrambler in his career and completed his share of passes on the run. What he's never done well is step around in the pocket to buy himself the extra second to get the receiver open. He prefers the jailbreak scramble and given his speed and the offense built around him, he hasn't had much encouragement to be patient.

And having watched Husker football for several decades now, I honestly don't remember a receiving corps that dropped more passes placed directly in their hands than the last couple Husker squads. This year appears to be different.

Other defenses will collapse the pocket around Martinez quicker than So. Miss., but if Nebraska has a legitimate passing threat, a good running back corps, and a blazing fast QB, it won't be as easy as bullrushing the Huskers on every play.