i guess i poorly framed the topic. first, i think of trap games as games you expect to easily overcome, but then find yourself in an unexpected dogfight. but i guess my issue was how tough should we expect this game to be and what are our potential pitfalls. i was feeling extremely confident to begin with, and still expect to win by a fairly large margin, but i have this nagging feeling in my gut that this game might be more of a struggle than i was initially expecting.

i guess i poorly framed the topic. first, i think of trap games as games you expect to easily overcome, but then find yourself in an unexpected dogfight. but i guess my issue was how tough should we expect this game to be and what are our potential pitfalls. i was feeling extremely confident to begin with, and still expect to win by a fairly large margin, but i have this nagging feeling in my gut that this game might be more of a struggle than i was initially expecting.

I think you're pretty close, but it'll be one of those deals where we'll have to sit through about 3 quarters of anguish, and pull away in the 4th...

I expect us to steam role this team 60-14. We need a big win for many reasons. Get 'ur done!

Our defense, historically, has had problems with mobile QBs. The kid at UCLA is a mobile QB that can play, there's no doubt about that.

And for as much as people want to discredit UCLA for their first half against Rice, UCLA shut them down in the second half, defensively. Kind of like how Nebraska needed a half to shut down Southern Mississippi's offense. And just like Nebraska, UCLA had special teams woes throughout the game.

I know you mean well, but statements like this don't help the cause, especially if any of the kids come here and see lines like that.

---

All of the hubris about blowing out UCLA should be dialed back a notch or two. At the very least, we're inviting some bad juju with these blowout predictions, and considering our defense hasn't been up-to-snuff for a while, this could very well become a shootout rather than a stomping.

In deference to the original question, yes, this is a trap game. And the definition of a trap game doesn't just mean you're overlooking someone in spite of a forthcoming opponent--it means you're overlooking an opponent because of hubris, lack of work ethic, or lack of respect for the opponent as well.

The more we post about how we expect a 30, 40, or 50 point blowout against UCLA, the more this becomes a 'trap game'. :hmmph

Biggest scare I have is a potential drop off following a very well executed game by the offense. I don't see that happening since it's just the beginning of the season but you never know. We do tend to play flat footed after big victories (I wouldn't classify beating Southern Miss as big, we just played well).

All of this was probably said already, I failed to read the thread :lol: .