*** HB Misc Topic bullsh#t Thread ***

Do you only cook enough for that one meal or do you have leftovers throughout the week?

I can see hand-washing a pan or two that you use more often, but do y'all only have 3 plates, 3 forks, 3 glasses, etc?

GSG. Wash your dishes right after supper from the day every night. Do it for a month. Just do it. It takes 4 damn minutes. Then, at the end of the month, check your utitily bill closely, and tell me you need that damn dishwasher. If you look at it subjectively, your dishwasher will wind up on craigslist. :D

4 minutes? Remind me not to eat at your house ;)

What does that mean? I dont follow.

If you're washing all of your dishes (plates, glasses, utensils, pans, etc.) in 4 minutes, I'm venturing that they're not really clean. (It was a joke though)

I figured so. I also figured it as a joke, per as this whole conversation is wish-washy hoo ha.

I just dont think you city folk want to admit that somethin that happens to take a little effort could actually be time saving and more efficient. Boom. I went there.

See, I'm of the mind that the less time I can spend cooking and cleaning it up, the better. As soon as I find a place here in CO, I'll probably spend Sundays making 3 or 4 meals and just having them packaged up for the week to reheat. That leaves me one day of pots/pans and just plates or whatnot throughout the week. Just my philosophy, your's sounds just as good. :)

As you can probably tell, I really like cooking. It's a hobby and it lends credibility to my wine habit. I spend a couple of hours a night cooking, usually. This week's meals, which are pretty typical:

SUN - Chicken & Roasted Red Pepper Pasta, garlic bread & salad (this made enough leftovers for lunches for me & the wife all week)

MON - Grilled jerk chicken tacos

TUE - Omelettes

WED - Grilled Barcelona chicken & corn on the cob with crudites.

THU - Italian sausage (grilled if the rain stays away, otherwise pan-seared) on a bun with giardiniera and a red sauce, probably topped with a bit of mozzarella

FRI - I'm supposed to BBQ ribs, but that may change.

See, I'm of the mind that the less time I can spend cooking and cleaning it up, the better. As soon as I find a place here in CO, I'll probably spend Sundays making 3 or 4 meals and just having them packaged up for the week to reheat. That leaves me one day of pots/pans and just plates or whatnot throughout the week. Just my philosophy, your's sounds just as good. :)

As you can probably tell, I really like cooking. It's a hobby and it lends credibility to my wine habit. I spend a couple of hours a night cooking, usually. This week's meals, which are pretty typical:

SUN - Chicken & Roasted Red Pepper Pasta, garlic bread & salad (this made enough leftovers for lunches for me & the wife all week)

MON - Grilled jerk chicken tacos

TUE - Omelettes

WED - Grilled Barcelona chicken & corn on the cob with crudites.

THU - Italian sausage (grilled if the rain stays away, otherwise pan-seared) on a bun with giardiniera and a red sauce, probably topped with a bit of mozzarella

FRI - I'm supposed to BBQ ribs, but that may change.

Mother of god...

Dude, teach me.

I figured so. I also figured it as a joke, per as this whole conversation is wish-washy hoo ha.

I just dont think you city folk want to admit that somethin that happens to take a little effort could actually be time saving and more efficient. Boom. I went there.

I worked at my uncle's restaurant for a few years, I know all about washing dishes by hand.

Also, I wasn't aware that I was "city folk" lol

Mother of god...

Dude, teach me.

It's pretty simple, really.

Take the Barcelona Chicken, for example. Sounds like a real chef's dish, but all it is is a marinade and some time on the grill. Throw this in a blender:

5 scallions, cut into 1-inch pieces

1 cup lightly packed fresh basil leaves

3 large garlic cloves

2 serrano chile peppers, roughly chopped

1⁄4 cup extra-virgin olive oil

2 tablespoons sherry vinegar

1 teaspoon kosher salt

1⁄2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

Then pour it in a bag with your cut-up chicken pieces and let it sit in your fridge for a day or two. Grill on indirect heat for 30 minutes, then put it over the flame for about ten minutes, and boom.

The Jerk chicken tacos are fantastic, but also super easy. You need a jerk spice marinade, and I make that about once every two/three months and freeze it in an ice cube tray, then thaw one cube for every two chicken breasts I use:

2 teaspoons allspice

1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon

1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg

1/2 onion

8 cloves garlic or 1 whole head

1 (1-inch) piece fresh ginger, sliced

3 scallions, sliced

3 limes, juiced

Splash low-sodium soy sauce

1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling

Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper

6 sprigs fresh thyme, leaves picked

1 Scotch bonnet pepper, halved, plus more to taste

1/4 cup packed light brown sugar

Put that all in a blender, grind until smooth, then freeze until you need it. It freezes really well. When you want it, pop one cube into a bag with your chicken, thaw and squish it around, let it sit overnight and then grill on indirect heat. Make a pico de gallo out of a handful of chopped cherry tomatoes, half a chopped onion, some lime juice and some chopped cilantro, add some cheese & sour cream, and boom! fantastic tacos about as good as you're going to get in any restaurant.

Omelettes are easy if you have a good nonstick pan. Scramble your eggs, get them going in the pan, when the eggs just start to firm up put your ingredients of choice on one side, then flip it to make the omelette, then flip it again to finish the other side.

The thing is to just start cooking, and find a bunch of recipes. I'll share mine - I have quite a few printed up if you're interested.

I made a ton of bad meals for a few years before I got good. It takes practice and I still ruin stuff once in a while, but if you're cooking your own food it's more fun, it usually tastes better, and you have greater control over what you put in your body.

Also, I wasn't aware that I was "city folk" lol

Neither was I. I'm just stereotyping. :lol:

Everyone hates Iowa:

DSomers16

Why is there absolutely nothing in Iowa? I drove through the state to go to a Penn State-Nebraska game this year, and it's just awful. There's not even cows. It's just flat and a sh#t ton of windmills. How do we make Iowa a better state? 54 minutes ago

Drew Magary

Any boring stretch of land can be vastly improved with a massive infusion of capital. Look at Dubai. It's a f'ing desert. There's nothing there. And yet, thanks to filthy oil money, the place has indoor ski slopes and gauche hotels and a thriving underground sex trade. If a handful of billionaires at BIG CORN decided to make Iowa into a mecca of gambling and upscale Nobu restaurants, all they have to do is put their money down. It would be the Vegas of the North Central plains!16 minutes ago

http://deadspin.com/the-worlds-most-boring-jobs-498466371

Almost forgot to mention this when talking about cooking - chicks dig a guy who can cook well. One of the things that impressed my wife the most when we were dating was my ability to make a decent meal.

If you're looking for Miss Right, get to know your way around the kitchen.

Almost forgot to mention this when talking about cooking - chicks dig a guy who can cook well. One of the things that impressed my wife the most when we were dating was my ability to make a decent meal.

Well if you have nothing else going for you..........

Well if you have nothing else going for you..........

Zing