I Support T-Mart

Four turnovers is unacceptable. Period. End of story.

Go have some cheese and crackers and get off of T-Mart's back. Beck's play calling and an O-L that stinks are the problem. That's the end of the story.

T_O_B

G>B>R

I would agree with the OL part. But I don't have a problem with Becks playcalling. This board has been rippping him for not continuing to pound the ball with the running game. We started that game pounding the ball and it was getting us nothing, forcing us into long yardage situations on 3rd down and putting TM in obvious passing situations. And we know how that often turns out. It still comes down to, if a play works everyone loves it, if it doesn't, it was a bad call. I like the way Beck has been mixing things up.

And the bottom line is that no matter what the play call, only one guy is throwing the pass. The pick six wasn't caused by the call, it was caused by a ball thrown badly behind the receiver. If he puts it out in front, it's a first down for us and we're still moving.

I was thinking just the opposite. I think we threw that same pass a couple of times against Wiscy and was the pass that Bielema had in mind when he made the comment at halftime about floating passes. OSU recognized it and Roby jumped the route so badly I don't think it mattered where Taylor placed the ball. Roby would have gotten a hand on it. At best it would have been an incompletion. An out and up route could have burned them badly if we had identifed tight coverage.

True, you do wonder what a pump fake might do there. And while I think TM has sufficent arm strength to throw the out, I will also say it obviously is not his best throw. And there you do have to question Beck about having him make that throw, but it still comes down to if the ball is thrown in the correct spot, worst case is an imcompletion. I didn't see TM drop back on that play, was he locked on the receiver the entire time?

Taylor reminds me of Bobby Newcombe and the reason Crouch became the QB. Newcombe did some great things, then out of nowhere would run backwards and drop the ball. Now Martinez has done it over and over and over and over to the point where most of us expect we'll just have to overcome that because he's the best QB available. I think Newcombe would win the job if he was playing now. With Martinez you have to take the good with the bad or put in someone better.

• Fire 1

It almost appeared that they were protecting Taylor by not allowing him to run. Is this another indication that our backup QB's are a big step behind TM and that if he were to be injured we'd be completely lost?

It could be that the offense is very hard to learn and the backups are just not picking it up. It could be that Taylor isn't picking up the passing aspects either judging by the way he throws right into coverage. It probably takes a special kind of vision and timing to hit receivers in tight coverage the way the pros do and it's possible most college QB's will never "get it" just like everyone doesn't get calculus.

Nebraska will never be in the top 10 with T-Magic behind center.

It doesnt matter who there QB is... with this defense, coaching staff and O-line... We will never sniff the top 10.

That's true...it didn't help to spot them 14 points with dumb passes but the D had no answer for B. Miller.

It almost appeared that they were protecting Taylor by not allowing him to run. Is this another indication that our backup QB's are a big step behind TM and that if he were to be injured we'd be completely lost?

It could be that the offense is very hard to learn and the backups are just not picking it up. It could be that Taylor isn't picking up the passing aspects either judging by the way he throws right into coverage. It probably takes a special kind of vision and timing to hit receivers in tight coverage the way the pros do and it's possible most college QB's will never "get it" just like everyone doesn't get calculus.

Hasn't this been said quite a bit about the defense also. Is it possible we are way too complicated on both sides of the ball and spend so much time trying to get the sytems down that the basics are overlooked?

Four turnovers is unacceptable. Period. End of story.

Go have some cheese and crackers and get off of T-Mart's back. Beck's play calling and an O-L that stinks are the problem. That's the end of the story.

T_O_B

G>B>R

I would agree with the OL part. But I don't have a problem with Becks playcalling. This board has been rippping him for not continuing to pound the ball with the running game. We started that game pounding the ball and it was getting us nothing, forcing us into long yardage situations on 3rd down and putting TM in obvious passing situations. And we know how that often turns out. It still comes down to, if a play works everyone loves it, if it doesn't, it was a bad call. I like the way Beck has been mixing things up.

And the bottom line is that no matter what the play call, only one guy is throwing the pass. The pick six wasn't caused by the call, it was caused by a ball thrown badly behind the receiver. If he puts it out in front, it's a first down for us and we're still moving.

I was thinking just the opposite. I think we threw that same pass a couple of times against Wiscy and was the pass that Bielema had in mind when he made the comment at halftime about floating passes. OSU recognized it and Roby jumped the route so badly I don't think it mattered where Taylor placed the ball. Roby would have gotten a hand on it. At best it would have been an incompletion. An out and up route could have burned them badly if we had identifed tight coverage.

True, you do wonder what a pump fake might do there. And while I think TM has sufficent arm strength to throw the out, I will also say it obviously is not his best throw. And there you do have to question Beck about having him make that throw, but it still comes down to if the ball is thrown in the correct spot, worst case is an imcompletion. I didn't see TM drop back on that play, was he locked on the receiver the entire time?

TM might have been locked on the whole time but I think it's meant to be a quick throw without time to look off so it probably doesn't matter. It's more important for Beck to realize that it wouldn't work given OSU's personnel and pass defense. Pump fake would have been perfect given how bad Roby was jumping the route. We seem to be discovering a lot about what works and doesn't with our fledgling passing attack. At least we didn't try those short passes to the middle that we ran against Wiscy that were either batted down or TM threw into the back of our O-linemen :) . The long pass that was picked later in the game was partially TM not stepping into the pass and throwing it short but I believe OSU was playing more prevent defense at that point and shorter passes would have worked. Not sure if that was a bad play call or TM misreading the D or he was trying to save the day. We definitely need the passing to open up the run game but it's taking an exasperating long time to get it right (going back to Wiscy game last year).

Four turnovers are unacceptable. Period. End of story.

Almost as unacceptable as your post in a thread supporting T-Mart.

The kid had a bad game. He'll bounce back with our support.

Yay grammar Nazi time!

Saying "four turnovers is unacceptable" is technically okay, because he's referring to the singular statistic, not the turnovers themselves.

Now that that's out of the way...

I really appreciate the effort Taylor has made to better himself as a quarterback and as a team player. There's no doubt that he has a lot of toughness and a lot of heart as well. Unfortunately, as a pure quarterback, he's just not there. Awareness and ball security are obvious issues for him, and they're ones that for the most part you either have or you don't. He may never be an elite quarterback, but neither will 99% of the other quarterbacks starting in Division 1A. Right now Taylor's our best option, and that may not say a whole lot, but it is what it is.

The kid made some mistakes, but he showed heart, he never gave up and that's all we can ask as fans. Keep pushing forward, keep trying to score, take some SERIOUS hits and keep driving. The loss is on the ENTIRE team, offensive turnovers coupled with weak defensive play and weak special teams play turns into a loss.

I understand there's a lot of anger with Taylor Martinez after last game and I get that whole he's not a real QB argument, but I think he's the one that needs to finish this season out plain and simple. I think it would be a huge waste for Tommy Armstrong to pull his redshirt and to try to right the ship this season. First I think he's got all the talent in the world which is why if we pulled his redshirt now instead of possilby getting 3 or 4 full seasons of him we'd only get 3 and a half at most, if changes need to made in terms of QB they will happen later on, and personally if our offense scores 38 we should win with Bo Pelini as our head coach because Bo knows defense.

Does anybody remember Andrew Rodriquez failing to block a defender at least on two occasions if not more while in pass protection?

Our O-Line may be great in run blocking at times but they are absolutely horrible in pass protection. Not only are they horrible with their pass protection but their lack of focus in drawing a false start penalties one after the other to force Nebraska in 1st or 3rd and long situations.

If you're going to blame Taylor for forcing 3 INT's then you better blame the O-Line for forcing Taylor to make up for those lost yardages from the O-Lines lack of focus.