Something I heard on 1620 this week...

So I forget if it was Damon Benning or Greg Sharpe who said it, but they threw out an interesting theory that I kinda wanna know how you guys weigh in on it.

Tommie Armstrong, big arm QB from Cibolo. I've watched the vids, the guy has the arm and seems like the experience to run our offense and according to everyone on the team, he gets better and better every week.

Anyhow, on 1620 this week Damon or Greg (forget who said it) said something to the effect of "Taylor Martinez will start at QB in 2013, but if he shows signs of struggle again, and Tommie A doesn't get a shot...Tommie will not be at NU the following year." When I heard this, I panicked. I kept thinking how bad it would be to lose a great talent like that. It's been bugging a ton this week. It's not that I don't respect Taylor, in fact, he's been our guy when we had no one to hang our hat on and has shown so much heart all 3 years he's started...but when we have a complete QB like Tommie (and possibly another one coming in Johnny Stanton) I just hope that, next year during the spring there actually is a competition for the starting spot. I would hate to see good player go on to bigger better things elsewhere because they aren't getting a shot.

Your thoughts?

You put your trust in these two on a sports talk show? Don't hang your hat on that rack!

So you throw away the bad game he has, So also throw away the stats agaisnt the high school teams we play and your left with UCLA and Wisconsin games

Taylor at UCLA goes 17-31 for 158 and an int, rips off one 92 YD td.

Taylor vs wisconsin 17-29 for 181 and 2 TDS, runs 107 YDs for 2 TDs

Tayler at OSU 15-25 for 214 1TD 3 INT, runs 40YDs for 2 TD

58% throwing agaist teams with a pulse, Which is still respectable, but notice his interceptions are in both of our losses, I have never said the defense isn't part of the problem, but Taylor needs to show some consistancy.

Maybe if our defense could stop a "high school" team, TM wouldn't have to try to pull plays out of his ass to score.

Exactly if our defense could have stopped Ohio State like in the first quarter, we wouldn't have the need to score on every damn possession. I know we should want to, but when playing good defenses, our own defense needs to step up and give the offense some breathing. A turnover or two or three could have done wonders for the game against Ohio State. BTW it's NORTHWESTERN WEEK!

The first quarter looked awesome for our defense. That tells me we have the "potential". What I noticed is that after Miller busted the 80 yarder, our attack mentality went out the window. It seems the coaches and players asses sinched up after that one play. They never recovered from that.

Why is that?

The first quarter looked awesome for our defense. That tells me we have the "potential". What I noticed is that after Miller busted the 80 yarder, our attack mentality went out the window. It seems the coaches and players asses sinched up after that one play. They never recovered from that.

Why is that?

I saw this as well. Some people are saying that Urban Meyer made adjustments to what we were doing, but that's not what I saw at all. He probably did to some degree, but our blitzing really slowed down after Miller's first big run.

The best way to slow or stop a good running QB is to get in the backfield and slow him down before he gets started, and then swarm to the ball. We did that for the first 3 or 4 series on defense, and it worked. Then we stopped. And we got our asses handed to us.

• Fire 1

It is a reverse of 2009. Forgot at what point in the season we went into the shell, but we did. The D was good enough that if we scored 10 pts we had a great chance to win some games. Our O was so dreadful our best bet was to have them not turn over the ball, go 3 and out and punt, really, really well and hope the D got some points or the O got lucky.

Fast forward to now. The D is horrible so Bo and beck have no choice, but to go for broke on every series. I do not agree with it, but we have to go score for score as our D really appears to have a hard time stopping some teams and the inability to adjust when needed.

I don't see why this has to be so polarizing? Our D has laid some eggs...obviously. In addition, Martinez has shown a penchant for turnovers at the worst times (is there a good time?) By that, I mean in big games against better opponents. Is it bad to say we need help in both areas?

There is a 20:1 or greater ratio of "we need to bench Martinez" threads against "we need to improve our defense" threads. If

Further, Martinez is the MVP of the first half, near the top of several national statistical categories, and without question the best player on our team in the first half of the season. Threads calling for his replacement should always be greeted with derision.

So I forget if it was Damon Benning or Greg Sharpe who said it, but they threw out an interesting theory that I kinda wanna know how you guys weigh in on it.

Tommie Armstrong, big arm QB from Cibolo. I've watched the vids, the guy has the arm and seems like the experience to run our offense and according to everyone on the team, he gets better and better every week.

Anyhow, on 1620 this week Damon or Greg (forget who said it) said something to the effect of "Taylor Martinez will start at QB in 2013, but if he shows signs of struggle again, and Tommie A doesn't get a shot...Tommie will not be at NU the following year." When I heard this, I panicked. I kept thinking how bad it would be to lose a great talent like that. It's been bugging a ton this week. It's not that I don't respect Taylor, in fact, he's been our guy when we had no one to hang our hat on and has shown so much heart all 3 years he's started...but when we have a complete QB like Tommie (and possibly another one coming in Johnny Stanton) I just hope that, next year during the spring there actually is a competition for the starting spot. I would hate to see good player go on to bigger better things elsewhere because they aren't getting a shot.

Your thoughts?

You lost me on these two comments..............the kid hasn't played ONE down as a college QB yet he's a "complete QB" and "seems to have the experience to run our offense." Thank god I'm a mod or I might get my first warning level increase with this thread with what I really want to say, but won't.

TAYLOR IS NOT THE PROBLEM!!!! THE DEFENSE IS!?!? WHY CAN'T SOME OF YOU GET THAT THROUGH YOUR ******* HEADS?! It's completely baffling to me.............

tumblr_lrl17gel991qmu4jpo2_400.jpg

I skipped the last 20 posts. This thread is so ridiculous it hurts my head. Some of you are calling for pulling for Armstrong's shirt to get him "experience". Then next year Taylor beats him anyway. You still complain. Then 2014 and 15 come around, and Armstrong say he is the starter, has great years, and we call cry "I wish we just had one more year of him :cry " You see what's going on here? Coaches know this too. Let him get acclamated to the program, learn the system, build his body into college level condition with out wasting a year of eligibility, especially since, let's face it, he was never going to take Taylor's job THIS year anyway.

For the poster that said he watched all of Armstrong's games the last two year and hence determined he was more able than Martinez right now, well, good grief. He was playing high schoolers, where he was a man amongst boys. Think before you speak.

Taylor is not the problem. Taylor is the guy... you stand behind your quarterback. You give your players unneeded confidence issues when you bench them at the first sniffle sneeze or cough. Tommie wouldn't want to be benched if he earned the starting job and he had a hiccup in a game either.

Funny you should say that... Now if only we could get the coaches to have the same standard for all positions on the team...

The one thing I've noticed is when Martinez has a bad play it is typically the result of a defender blowing through the line untouched. Granted I haven't seen most of the games because of harvest, but I did have the luxury of watching both the UCLA and Ohio State game. Taylor does have a tendency to make some bad decisions, but most of the time it's because he has a defender draped all over him. Martinez is going to finish his career near the tops in a lot of categories. Just imagine the numbers he'd be putting up if he had an OL like what Frazier, Frost, and Crouch had. I lost count of the times the Ohio State DE blew right past our LT. It was downright awful.

The defense is where we need the most improvement if we're to have a shot at winning the Big 10. If the defense plays like they have, it could get downright ugly against Michigan and possibly even NW.

• Fire 2

The one thing I've noticed is when Martinez has a bad play it is typically the result of a defender blowing through the line untouched. Granted I haven't seen most of the games because of harvest, but I did have the luxury of watching both the UCLA and Ohio State game. Taylor does have a tendency to make some bad decisions, but most of the time it's because he has a defender draped all over him. Martinez is going to finish his career near the tops in a lot of categories. Just imagine the numbers he'd be putting up if he had an OL like what Frazier, Frost, and Crouch had. I lost count of the times the Ohio State DE blew right past our LT. It was downright awful.

The defense is where we need the most improvement if we're to have a shot at winning the Big 10. If the defense plays like they have, it could get downright ugly against Michigan and possibly even NW.

The biggest part of an offense, besides a QB, is the offensive line. A stout OL, can make any RB look Heisman worthy (theoretically speaking).

Back to the OP's initial question, Armstrong isn't here to start his first, second or third year. He is here to wear the scarlet and creme. If anyone, including Sharpe and company would quit being lazy and read what this kid says, he says it pretty clear. "I don't plan on starting right away, and I plan on earning my spot on the football team". With that being said, if he plays clean up next year for Martinez, which is HIGHLY likely, that will still leave him 3 years for a starting role, and you can't complain about that at all. If that is the Case, Stanton would receive his starting role as a RS-Junior. Whoever stated Armstrong would leave if he sat back seat next year, should just stop reporting.

I listen to one heck of a lot of 1620 and I have never heard this mentioned on any of the local shows. Not saying it wasn't discussed, but it's not a major topic they are all talking about.

That said, why do Husker fans always do this? Why do they constantly spread rumors or fears that XYZ player is going to transfer? Good Lord.......

The defense gave up 8+ yards per play to OSU.

Oh, ok. I'd still prefer it if our offense wouldn't turn the ball over numerous times per game if our defense is struggling like that. It takes a team effort to get that many points hung on you. It's not all defense.

Well of course it isn't preferred. But when your RB gets knocked out, and your D isn't stopping them, you press to score and stay in the game.

True.

Turnovers are usually the biggest factor in any football game, however. We knew going into the game Braxton would be a nightmare for our defense, not much we could expect to do about that. What we did have control over is taking care of the football, and we didn't get it done. If we did that it would have been an entirely different football game. Each turnover is a potential 14 point swing. They got 21 points on turnovers. Not only that, it takes away opportunities for our offense to put some points up. That could have been our 21 points. It kills momentum, give the other team all the momentum, hurts our time of possession, which only stresses and exhausts our defense even more.

We have a chance against Northwestern and Michigan. We know going in their QBs present mismatches for our defense. If we take care of the football on offense and maybe create a couple turnovers on defense, there's a great chance we win both games even with a struggling defense. If we continue to cough the ball up those chances diminish significantly.