I smell ROSES!!!!

Assuming Nebraska does actually make it to the Rose Bowl...

Hope Oregon wins out and plays for the National Title, clearing a spot in the Rose.

The Rose is not obligated to take the next team from a conference if one team move to the champ game.

USC will not be an option if this happens, no way a team with 3 or 4 losses makes a BCS game. They play Oregon and ND still.'

Oregon State is the next option, and they would have a late season loss to Oregon, and the BCS tends to not take teams that lost the last game they played.

Odds are KSU wins out, or even at 1 loss, they make a BCS game. Is KSU vs NU that attractive to TV? Not really.

OU winning out makes a better TV game.

ND is all but in a BCS game, they have one real game left vs USC at home. My money would be ND vs NU. TV ratings that may even eclipse the Title Game.

The Rose is not obligated to take the next team from a conference if one team move to the champ game.

Are you sure about that? Not challenging, I just don't know. I was under the impression that if Oregon (as an example) won the Pac 12 and moved on the the BCS game, then USC or whoever finished second filled in the Rose Bowl ??

No, they are not required to take another Pac 12 team. 3 times in the last 10 years they did not replace the team they lost to the championship game with a Pac or Big team.

Hope Oregon wins out and plays for the National Title, clearing a spot in the Rose.

USC will not be an option if this happens, no way a team with 3 or 4 losses makes a BCS game. They play Oregon and ND still.'

Oregon State is the next option, and they would have a late season loss to Oregon, and the BCS tends to not take teams that lost the last game they played.

Odds are KSU wins out, or even at 1 loss, they make a BCS game. Is KSU vs NU that attractive to TV? Not really.

ND is all but in a BCS game, they have one real game left vs USC at home. My money would be ND vs NU. TV ratings that may even eclipse the Title Game.

Are you sure about that? Not challenging, I just don't know. I was under the impression that if Oregon (as an example) won the Pac 12 and moved on the the BCS game, then USC or whoever finished second filled in the Rose Bowl ??

No, they are not required to take another Pac 12 team. 3 times in the last 10 years they did not replace the team they lost to the championship game with a Pac or Big team.

OK, good to know............

I'm just trying to really look into this and figure out who we could play if Oregon finishes #2. In order to be picked at large a team needs to be ranked in the top 14 in the final BCS standings, and only two teams from each conference can go to a BCS game (unless it's SEC v. SEC in the title game with neither winning their conference). So if Oregon is in the title game they will play Alabama, here is what I have:

• Alabama vs. Oregon - National Title
  • Kansas State vs. At large - Fiesta Bowl
  • Florida State vs. At large - Orange Bowl
  • Nebraska vs. At large - Rose Bowl
  • SEC vs. At large - Sugar Bowl
  • Notre Dame, Louisville, and Boise State (if they finish in the top 16, they are 19 right now with a favorable schedule) are all guaranteed bids.

Due to the rule that only two teams from one conference are eligible, and with the SEC hogging 7 of the top 16 spots in this week's poll, the only possible teams we are left with currently in the top 25 are Oregon State, Oklahoma (assuming they win out, they should), Clemson, Stanford, and USC.

I see no way Oregon State finishes in the top 14, probably the same for USC since they'd have two losses to Oregon and possibly another to Notre Dame.

So the teams vying for the last at large spot will be Oklahoma, Clemson, and Stanford (maybe, I could see them falling in the standings).

The Rose Bowl will have second pick for their at large team behind the Sugar Bowl (unless Oregon finishes #1, then it flips). This means that the possible teams are Notre Dame, Louisville, Boise State, Oklahoma, Clemson, and Stanford, with the Sugar Bowl taking whichever team they want first. I can't tell you who exactly the Sugar Bowl will take first, but I'm willing to bet anything it's Notre Dame, Oklahoma, or Clemson.

In the end, I would have to say the most likely teams are Notre Dame then Oklahoma, or possibly Stanford if the Rose Bowl really wants it to be Pac 12 vs. Big 10.

But of course this will instantly be a meaningless analysis if USC beats Oregon at home this Saturday.

As the OP, I'd like to state clearly that this is not an overreaction to a win. It is simply stating the adjusted goal after losing games in our season. No longer are we competing for the MNC. The next-best goal is the Rose bowl. With our fate secure in our own hands, I have no problems stating that I feel the accomplishment of that goal at hand. What this board really does is pretend that their interactions here should be as if they were players speaking to the media.

Well, f#*k that. Saturday's game was a big win and if you can't feel confident in the way the team executed in that game, you're truly jaded.

GO BIG RED!!

From the chatter I've gleaned that while it's not mandatory, it's basically a done deal that the bowl commissioners invite someone from the same conference. The bowl sponsors need to keep the College Presidents, ADs and conference commissioners happy. After what just went down last season, the bowls know that the Us could just take over the post season with a playoff themselves. Now is not the time for a bowl to invite Notre Dame and irritate a conference that expects a berth.

It's good for bowl sausage but I think the reality is the #2 PAC team goes if possible. they had no choice for the TCU Rose Bowl.

I do not think the Rose Bowl will take a two loss team, they will have one already if we win out. They will get the second choice of an at large if Oregon finishes 2nd, I think. If Oregon wins the Pac12 then USC will have at least 4 losses, Oregon State will have two losses with one late. They will go after the highest ranked team for the Bowl to be relevant in their minds. The Rose Bowl is and has always been about money. If they could drop Big10 and take the SEC my guess is they would do it in heart beat. The Big10 used to be the big fish, now it is the SEC and looks to remain that way from now on.

Michigan State and Penn State are going to be your biggest remaining tests. You'll have an awesome defense in Michigan State and a pretty decent offense in Penn State. PSU's defense is good, but they lack stamina. (Due to lack of depth from scholarship restrictions) You keep the game close in the first half or blow them out in the first half, you'll beat them. MSU on the other hand will be a tough battle all the way through.

I still haven't bought Into psu yet. They are playing with heart more than talent right now. But they will get stomped here IMO. We held them with Silas red last year

Mcgloin is the most improved QB in the league. They are getting the hang of that pro style offense a lot quicker than I thought they would. But I do agree that when it gets that late in the season, motivation is going to be difficult to come by when you have nothing to play for but pride.

But we shouldn't discount their ability to do that, because they have already exceeded my expectations on how well they have handled what happened.

That team is going to be damn good a few years after the sanctions are over, me thinks.

From the chatter I've gleaned that while it's not mandatory, it's basically a done deal that the bowl commissioners invite someone from the same conference. The bowl sponsors need to keep the College Presidents, ADs and conference commissioners happy. After what just went down last season, the bowls know that the Us could just take over the post season with a playoff themselves. Now is not the time for a bowl to invite Notre Dame and irritate a conference that expects a berth.

It's good for bowl sausage but I think the reality is the #2 PAC team goes if possible. they had no choice for the TCU Rose Bowl.

From Adam Rittenberg of the ESPN Big Ten Mailblog:

"The Rose Bowl only must select a non-Big Ten or Pac-12 team once in a four-year cycle when it loses one of its conference champions and an eligible team from a non-automatic-qualifying conference is eligible. That's why you saw the Rose Bowl, after losing Oregon to the national title game in 2010, select TCU to face Big Ten champion Wisconsin. So it doesn't matter if Oklahoma is eligible for an at-large bid. The Rose Bowl will select a Pac-12 opponent -- USC, Oregon State, Stanford being the likely candidates -- if it loses Oregon to the title game."

Rittenberg's take is that the Rose Bowl Committee does not have to take a non-Pac-12 team this year if Oregon goes to the NC game, and very likely will choose to stick with a Pac-12 team.

If Oregon goes to the MNC game, it will not be SC as they will have at least 3 losses, most likely 5. Oregon State will have at least 2 and Stanford has 2 now. Not going to be a very watched bowl game if the Big 10 guy is right. I just do not see the Rose Bowl settiling for a loser bowl, they have the Big forced down their throat, I think they will go after the highest ranked team.