Bowl prediction for Nebraska

CBolin69

As I said in another thread, Notre Dame does not have pull on the left coast. Their fan base is in the midwest and on the east coast.

The Rose Bowl resisted a deal where they had to take a non-B1G/Pac 12 team every four years. They were force to take it while squeezing their noses. They took TCU two years ago because they had to due to the four year rule. They won't take another unless they have to.

You make a lot of good points, and I am certainly no expert on all things Notre Dame, but I would think that they have plenty of pull on the west coast, as strong as a nationwide brand as they are. Notre Dame has traditional rivalries with USC and Stanford and plays in California every year. When they got their deal with the ACC, they had to consider some of their long-standing rivalries, and they chose to keep USC and Stanford while dropping Michigan.

And I think it would be short-sighted for the Rose Bowl committee to be looking at having Notre Dame available for the taking and choosing a low-ranked PAC-12 team just because they were stuck with TCU a couple years ago, and the ratings were lackluster. If it is about prestige and money, and everything is these days, Notre Dame would be a no-brainer. In terms of ratings, perception, and fans, Notre Dame is not TCU.

The Rose Bowl took hits in relevance over the years due to their stubborn loyalty to the PAC and Big 10 when the Bowl Coalition and BCS came about. Traditions and loyalty are important, but if the Rose Bowl wants to be the Grand-Daddy of Them All, how many opportunities will they ever get to have Notre Dame in their game? If ND is available, they would be stunningly stupid not to take them.

The Rose Bowl has made foolish decisions before, though.

As I said in another thread, Notre Dame does not have pull on the left coast. Their fan base is in the midwest and on the east coast.

False. This is like saying there are no Huskers on the left coast. Besides, the game is nationally televised, so you can rule out 80% of your arguement of where the fan base is. And because ND has been terrible for almost a decade, you can be sure fans will flock to the game, nomatter where it is, ruling out the other 20% of your argument. Bet your house on it, if Pasadena has a chance to pick them up, they will.

Look it is pretty simply, if the Fiesta loses Kst and the Rose loses Oregon, the Fiesta will take ND, because they get the first pick, Kst being number 1 and the Rose would get the second. My guess, Standford if they continue to win. This would be contingent on a top 15 ranking on their part.

I don't know how the points fall, but if both Oregon and KSU win out itsn't it likely that Oregon will pass KSU and take the number one spot, thus giving the Rose Bowl the first selection? I truely believe that if it comes down the Notre Dame or Oregon State/Stanford, it's a no brainer, they'll go Notre Dame. If Notre Dame only had a following in the midwest and east, they wouldn't have had their own tv package (even when they were horrible), their following is nationwide.

I would think Notre Dame is the prize this year for the non Championship Game bowls.

I suspect the Rose Bowl would be thrilled to have a resurgent Notre Dame and Nebraska. We are not as good as a decade ago, but we travel well, and it would be our first trip as conference members.

Not sure how to feel, really. I think Oregon or Notre Dame would eat us alive. If Oregon is in the MNC game, we won't have to worry about being quacked to death. But the Irish will probably stomp us.

Still, worth the trouble for a B1G trophy I guess. And you never know. If we win. we enter next year in the top 5.

24005427.jpg

If Oregon finishes season 13-0 and #1 in BCS Standings:

Rose Bowl gets first selection among automatic qualifiers and at-large teams. They may select a Pac-12 team if they are ranked in the top 14 of the BCS Standings. They will likely select Notre Dame if they are undefeated. Even if Notre Dame is 11-1 there is a good chance the Rose Bowl will take them, even if a Pac-12 team is in the top 14.

You made that up. No offense, dude, but this is a lack of knowledge of the Rose Bowl's history. The Rose Bowl is loyal to both the Pac 12 and B1G. They WILL take a Pac 12 team if one is in the Top 14 There's no doubt about it. Even the ESPN talking heads mentioned it tonight. It's just common knowledge.

Sorry but no.

I suspect the Rose Bowl would be thrilled to have a resurgent Notre Dame and Nebraska. We are not as good as a decade ago, but we travel well, and it would be our first trip as conference members.

Not sure how to feel, really. I think Oregon or Notre Dame would eat us alive. If Oregon is in the MNC game, we won't have to worry about being quacked to death. But the Irish will probably stomp us.

Still, worth the trouble for a B1G trophy I guess. And you never know. If we win. we enter next year in the top 5.

24005427.jpg

elite-daily-manti-teo.jpg

everett-golson-p1.jpg

Notre Dame would be a great matchup for us. They aren't world beaters by any means and they certainly make their share of mistakes. Playing Wisconsin again is what makes me nervous....

Yes, rematches are always trouble. We have a lot of football left to play. However, I have already joked with an Iowa friend who's kids play in a high school band that will be marching in the Rose Bowl parade. "Enjoy all the Husker fans".

If we end up playing an undefeated Nortre Dame, I could see them being down because of being left out of the MNC game.

Yes, this is already being discussed here.

In short, the Rose Bowl is obligated to pick a BCS at-large team if Oregon makes it to the title game. Since it doesn't appear that any other Pac-12 teams will hit at-large status in the BCS, then (an undefeated) Notre Dame, the loser of the SEC Title Game, Oklahoma, and LSU are all potential at-large candidates.

If Notre Dame loses, though, I don't see them making the Top 8 and getting a BCS berth. They become a simple 'at-large' if they fall out of the Top 8 of the BCS, and there are more enticing matchups against Nebraska the Rose Bowl could make.

Frankly, if Notre Dame loses one of their remaining games and Oklahoma wins out, I'd put money on the Rose Bowl picking Oklahoma. Much better matchup than any of the other at-large candidates, save for possibly LSU.

If KSU wins out, then the Fiesta gets first choice to replace them as KSU is ranked #1 in the BCS. It sounds as if they will choose Oklahoma to stay loyal to the B1G. Then the Rose gets to pick if Oregon is in the MNC and they will likely chose ND even with a loss as they have national appeal and travel well as NU does.

I like NU's chances in that game as they don't have the type of offense that kills us. That is given that Bo stops his stupid 2 gap crap. And TMart will be the best player on the field, so we should get close or over to our 30ppg average against bcs conference opponents.

Notre Dame would be a great matchup for us. They aren't world beaters by any means and they certainly make their share of mistakes. Playing Wisconsin again is what makes me nervous....

Yes, rematches are always trouble. We have a lot of football left to play. However, I have already joked with an Iowa friend who's kids play in a high school band that will be marching in the Rose Bowl parade. "Enjoy all the Husker fans".

If we end up playing an undefeated Nortre Dame, I could see them being down because of being left out of the MNC game.

That should also make them rethink joining America's Crapiest Conference too as their SOS isn't going to improve much if at all with that alliance.

IF there is a Pac 12 team in the top 14 BCS rankings, and Oregon makes it to the National Title, then that is whoever the B1G Conference Game will face. This has been discussed many times before on the board.

Not true. The Rose Bowl can take any qualified team they want at that point.

Yes, this is already being discussed here.

In short, the Rose Bowl is obligated to pick a BCS at-large team if Oregon makes it to the title game. Since it doesn't appear that any other Pac-12 teams will hit at-large status in the BCS, then (an undefeated) Notre Dame, the loser of the SEC Title Game, Oklahoma, and LSU are all potential at-large candidates.

If Notre Dame loses, though, I don't see them making the Top 8 and getting a BCS berth. They become a simple 'at-large' if they fall out of the Top 8 of the BCS, and there are more enticing matchups against Nebraska the Rose Bowl could make.

Frankly, if Notre Dame loses one of their remaining games and Oklahoma wins out, I'd put money on the Rose Bowl picking Oklahoma. Much better matchup than any of the other at-large candidates, save for possibly LSU.

If KSU wins out, then the Fiesta gets first choice to replace them as KSU is ranked #1 in the BCS. It sounds as if they will choose Oklahoma to stay loyal to the B1G. Then the Rose gets to pick if Oregon is in the MNC and they will likely chose ND even with a loss as they have national appeal and travel well as NU does.

I like NU's chances in that game as they don't have the type of offense that kills us. That is given that Bo stops his stupid 2 gap crap. And TMart will be the best player on the field, so we should get close or over to our 30ppg average against bcs conference opponents.

Yes, this is true IF THE SEASON ENDED TODAY. Oregon will still pass up KSU, just like the projections had them passing them to play Bama in the title game. Rose Bowl will probably get first pick.