Defensive Tackles

I have a question concerning our DT's. We have 11 on the roster. We know Baker is injured. Thad Randle has had reocccurring knee problems, but is he still hurt or is he just not getting it done in practice? Todd Peat has had reoccurring back problems, but is he still hurt or is he not getting it done in practice? Kevin Williams blew out his ACL last year and fully rehabbed it, but is he still having injury problems or is he just not getting it done in practice? We moved Tobi Okuyemi over from DE to DT... is that because he wasn't good enough at DE but with his speed coaches thought he had a chane to be effective inside?

That leaves the scholarship guys as Chase Rome, Jay Guy, Aaron Curry and Vincent Valentine.

Chase has been playing. But Where is Guy? He had some snaps last year and was okay. Where is Curry? He played some and then all of a sudden stopped. And eventhough Valentine is redshirted, if we are so thin at DT that we had to move one of our best DE's over to play DT mid season, wouldn't that justify pulling Valentines redshirt?

So here's my question... are we really so injured at DT that we only have Rome left? Or have we mis-evaluated in our recruiting and have a bunch of bodies that can't play at the BCS D1 level.

Before you answer... the coaches have offered 5 JUCO DT's and have said they are going to take 2-3 guys who will contribute immediately. They told one of the recruits... they need desperate help at DT.

Kevin Williams - was suppose to be GREAT before his ACL he was killing it in practice.

Todd Peat was a 4 star who had major offers.

Chase Rome was a 4 star we got away from Oklahoma State and he had major offers.

Vincent Valentine is suppose to be really good.

Aaron Curry was beating the upper classmen in fall and was top 3 on the depth chart.

Thad Randle did decent for us last year.

So what's the problem here?

Baker Steinkuhler - injured

Kenny Anderson

Thad Randle

Jeff Uher

Chase Rome

Tobi Okuyemi

Jay Guy

Todd Peat

Kevin Williams

Aaron Curry

Vincent Valentine

If it is underdevelopment, do you think Kaz is the man to get this turned around?

Unfortunately it doesnt matter what we think. There is some sign of promise if you look at the work he did at Iowa. However this defense has gone from Blackshirts to Pinkskirts to Blackhole and I dont know if we can ever get out.

If it is underdevelopment, do you think Kaz is the man to get this turned around?

Unfortunately it doesnt matter what we think. There is some sign of promise if you look at the work he did at Iowa. However this defense has gone from Blackshirts to Pinkskirts to Blackhole and I dont know if we can ever get out.

as long as he is crippled with the scheme it doesn't matter how good he is. 4 against 8? who do you think is going to win that battle? won't be Kaz's 4. Wonder how it feels to be the DL coach - and know for a fact that your opponent is going to run it right at you, or around you every single play - and you're on your own with your 4 guys to stop it.

Who would have thought we'd be where we are today defensively when you go back to 2007 and what has transpired since then? I remember a lot of us calling the 07' defense the pinkshirts. However, even the 07' defense didn't break the records this defense has broken. Who would have thought after BC was fired and Bo was announced as the next HC we'd be talking about our defense this way in year five?

Hopefully we have some goofy walk-on nobody has ever heard of to start for the next 3 years. He might not be able to play a lick, but by god he knows the playbook.

Everyone loves the story of the walk-on who earns his way to start. The reality is that if a walk-on is starting in place of multiple scholarship athletes, you have a problem recruiting.

I was wondering why we didn't go after some Jucos last year if the DT's we recruited were meant for the pass happy spread of the Big 12 but not necessarily suited for the Big 10. I'd guess that the staff thought the DT's were talented enough and we had adequate depth. Looking at the list that was probably true if it wasn't for injuries.

To attempt to answer the OP

Thad Randle's knee problems are nearing Greg Austin levels. They are in bad shape but he tries his damnedest to get out of them what he can.

Todd Peat's back needs a long offseason of rest.

Jay Guy is still too round and is struggling with conditioning and strength

Tobi Okuyemi he's never had the practice and program dedication needed. Got in trouble his frosh year and never really has changed. This was a bad miss

Williams and curry have battled small injuries, but none to the point of ending in major time off. I think the mental side isn't write there yet, and the staff worried about them playing poorly and affecting their mindset. Also it us pretty well known how boo wants guys on the field that are very aware of what is going on.

VV, well let's just hope the stuff that had came out of practice is true.

To attempt to answer the OP

Thad Randle's knee problems are nearing Greg Austin levels. They are in bad shape but he tries his damnedest to get out of them what he can.

Todd Peat's back needs a long offseason of rest.

Jay Guy is still too round and is struggling with conditioning and strength

Tobi Okuyemi he's never had the practice and program dedication needed. Got in trouble his frosh year and never really has changed. This was a bad miss

Williams and curry have battled small injuries, but none to the point of ending in major time off. I think the mental side isn't write there yet, and the staff worried about them playing poorly and affecting their mindset. Also it us pretty well known how boo wants guys on the field that are very aware of what is going on.

VV, well let's just hope the stuff that had came out of practice is true.

Bo puts players on the field that are aware of whats going on? so is it the staff doesnt know whats going on? maybe the players should call the plays (Sarcasm)

I guess by midseason BP needed to make some drastic moves and maybe take 2-3 0-linemen sitting on the bench that have a little size and a little quickness and move them to d-tackle. Teach them a couple of things so they could come in and play 8-10 snaps a game. All of those 0-linemen played some d-tackle in HS they needed some help.