2013 HuskerBoard Starting Lineup

knapplc

The last two positions have been filled and that wraps up the 2013 Starting Lineup. Thank you to everyone who participated, and congratulations to those voted into positions.

I'll be posting some final stats and "did you knows" later on, and offering the Walk-On class in another day or two.

Hope everyone had fun and hope this helped pass the time. Just think - only 196 days left until the 2013 season kicks off.

You deserve all of the thanks for making this happen, and for making it fun.

Kudos knapplc, for a job well done chief!!!!

As promised/threatened, here are some ending stats that may interest only me.

Total number of people nominated: 256

That shatters the old record of 194 total nominations set in 2010.

Total number of unique nominations: 87

That is, individual people nominated, not the same few people nominated over and over. That's the second-most ever, three short of the record (90 in 2010)

People nominated but not elected to a position: 50

Again, second-most (55 in 2010)

Total Votes Cast: 1,328

I haven't kept historical stats for previous Starting Lineups, but I may go back through the threads and get that info in the next few weeks. It would be interesting to see if there are any trends in voting. I'm pretty sure 2013 would have the most votes, and it wouldn't be close.

Most persons nominated for a single position: 16

And it was for the Fullback position, of all things! That breaks the previous record of 15 set just about ten days prior for the 2013 Head Coach position. Prior to this year the record was the 13 nominations we had for the Linebacker position in 2010. The first nine positions for election, Head Coach, Offensive Coordinator, QB, RB, FB, WR, TE, Offensive Guard and Offensive Tackle each had ten or more people nominated. Pretty sure that's some kind of record as well.

There are 24 positions open for nominations. All but seven of those positions had ten or more nominations. The average number of people nominated for positions this year was 10.66. The fewest people nominated for a position this year were the six people nominated for the Towel Boy and Water Boy positions. The smallest ballot this year was for Towel Boy, where only four members made the ballot out of six nominations. One was nominated but not seconded, and another had just been elected to another position.

Average number of times those elected were nominated: 4.16

No person was nominated one time and elected to a position. The minimum number of nominations for a person elected was two (7 people). One person was nominated 10 times before being elected, one was nominated eight times, and two were nominated seven times.

Most times nominated but not elected: 7 (two people)

That adds to the all time Leader Board at #2 and #3, but doesn't break the all-time record of nine times nominated without being elected, set last year by C N Red. The leaderboard:

Most Nominations/Not Elected - All Time

Year - Times - Person

2012 - 9 - C N Red

2013 - 7 - Lyons in a sea of red.

2013 - 7 - Atbone95

2010 - 6 - Kansas Husker

2013 - 5 - HuskerShark

2013 - 5 - Hedley Lamarr

2010 - 4 - Enhance89

2010 - 4 - Nexus

2013 - 4 - carlfense

2013 - 4 - Bucky

2013 - 4 - kchusker_chris

2013 - 4 - Lil' Red

Note - 12 people have been nominated three times but not elected over the years.

Nominated but not seconded: 11

We had 11 instances (not 11 different people) where someone was nominated but not seconded, meaning they don't make it onto the ballot. That breaks the old record of 10 set in 2010. I do my best to remind people that someone hasn't been nominated, but I can't get everyone on the ballot.

Nominated but ineligible for the ballot because they're already elected to a position: 23

That shatters the old record of 12 set in 2010. This year, it seemed as if the electorate (you guys) had the people you wanted in these positions in mind, and kept nominating them until they got in. The single biggest example of this was the Offensive Tackle position, where GSG5545, Po Belini, MLB 51 and HuskerFowler were all nominated and seconded, but none made the ballot because they were voted in to other positions up for election during the nomination process. In this instance, MLB 51 and HuskerFowler were Wide Receivers while Po Belini and GSG5545 were Tight Ends.

This is the one drawback of running nominations and voting concurrently, but if we didn't this thing would drag on forever. It would only be half done at this point, and interest always wanes quite a bit by this time, anyway.

Fewest number of votes which elected someone: 8

This happened twice; the first time was accountability who won the Fullback position (the one with the most nominations), and the second was Mills, who won the Equipment Manager position - the very last position awarded in the Starting Lineup.

Most votes earned in a single category: 27

This was Enhance's total when he was the top vote-getter for the Linebacker position. In all, five people were elected with 20 or more votes. Enhance was the top overall vote earner in a single category, followed by C N Red's 23 (Offensive Tackle), and three others tied at 20: The Dude (Offensive Guard) and HuskerFowler and MLB 51 (Wide Receivers).

Most votes received throughout the process: 53

This was Lyons in a sea of red's total. Unfortunately, although he received the most votes overall, he wasn't elected to any of the seven positions for which he was nominated. Other notables: carlfense, who earned 39 votes in four categories, but was not elected; HuskerShark who earned 37 votes in five categories but was not elected; and Atbone95, who earned 35 votes in seven categories, but was not elected.

Which segues nicely into the last couple of items on the agenda before we wrap up the 2013 Starting Lineup. First, I started the tradition last year of a Walk-On class and a Scout Team, and it's something I'm glad to continue this year. Based on the number of nominations and votes earned, I'm offering Walk-On status to these folks:

2013 Walk-On Class

carlfense

Lyons in the sea of red.

HuskerShark

Each were nominated four or more times, and earned an average of seven or more votes per position. Each missed out on being elected to a position by two or fewer votes (more than once, actually), and each has more than shown they are well-respected members of HuskerBoard. If they're willing, I've got avatars for each.

2013 Scout Team Offers

Bucky

Atbone95

Drowning_in_the_Sea_of_Red

irieboy8

kchusker_chris

woodyhayes1951

default_28

Lil' Red

I'm offering Scout Team positions to this group. Each were nominated three or more times, each earned ten or more votes in the process, and each is in active status today. Every name is familiar to everyone here, and each guy makes this place better by their presence. If they're willing, I've got avatars for each as well.

Finally. After all that. :D I've got a couple of tweaks I'm going to make to the Starting Lineup next year. I get asked every year to add this or that position, and I'm just not going to do that. Membership in the Starting Lineup, while in reality quite meaningless, is at the very least an "attaboy" from your fellow members saying that you rise above the rest and we value your contributions to HuskerBoard. The fact that everyone doesn't get elected is a good thing, and adding more positions will water down what silly meaning this thing has in the first place. So no new positions. Besides - the Walk-On/Scout Team positions add ten or more people to the ranks every year. That's plenty.

However, I'm renaming two positions starting next year. After much consideration, the names "Water Boy" and "Towel Boy" just sound stupid. Nor are they tied in any way to the Huskers or Husker legend and lore. So those names and job duties are scrapped as of now.

I'm replacing them with Scouting Coordinator and Strength & Conditioning Manager. Both will be support staff positions, similar to the defunct Water & Towel Boy positions, but both will have job descriptions that more suit our Husker fandom and what HuskerBoard stands for. So look for those two new positions next year.

And with that, that's a wrap. The 2013 Starting Lineup is officially in the books. :thumbs

• Fire 9

I can say this in all honesty that this is the best board in HuskerNation. Knap, top shelf job on this one man. Would expect nothing less.

Thank you to all who gave me the opportunity to be your head ball coach. We got the posters that we wanted in the class of 2013.