Manti Te'o's dead girlfriend?

Ulty

He had a game to play damn'it. Winning is the only thing that matters.

I have this really morbid sense of curiousity about how this is going to shake out. In a way we're in a stage that resembles Penn State in that only a subsection of Irish homers actually believe the party line. The difference being (apart from the obvious difference in seriousness between the two) is that with PSU, most people could guess what the Freeh Report was going to say. In this case, I think about the only thing we're sure of is that the story currently coming out of Notre Dame/Te'o does not reflect reality.

TOB this is bullcrap. Question is, how much did ND officials know, and when did they know it? This was allowed to be a season-long tear jerker for a serious heisman candidate.

This will continue to blow up... there's a serious difference between what an individual young dude believes in his bedroom late at night, and what is allowed to be broadcast all over ESPN, SI, Major networks, etc.

This will be a very big onion with a lotta layers methinks...

I haven't read through everything on pages 5 & 6.

Obviously Manti is in on it. And it seems that probably what's happening now is that since Manti believes he'll be making multi-millions a year (which he probably still will), I'd bet he's paying his bro Tuiasopo off to take 100% of the fall.

you know it's ridiculous when Knapp throws all respect to the wind and roasts the guy, time and time again. :D

I love every bit of it.

What should I respect? That he entirely faked this story about his girlfriend's existence and tragic death? Or that he was fool enough to have been duped into believing that she was real in the first place? Either way, he's deserving of some ribbing. It's not like I'm going overboard here. We have worse in the opponent look-alike threads.

Tyler Moorehead, the Notre Dame rep for college sports network College Spun, recounts from the on-campus gossip:

The debate among teammates wasn't whether or not Manti actually knew this girl - it was clear that they had been in contact; no, players just didn't think that it was fair to call Lennay Kekua Manti's girlfriend, period (it is well-known on campus that he has had relations with other girls during his time at Notre Dame). They recognized what was going on for what it was - a terrible publicity stunt used to fuel Manti Te'o's Heisman campaign. In fact, many of the players privately commented that they didn't want the students to wear leis in support of Manti and wouldn't participate themselves - they cited that the team never responded so publicly to tragic events for other players. But there was also the feeling that Manti didn't deserve to benefit from publicity from the death of somebody he barely knew.

Part of latest Deadspin addendum: http://deadspin.com/5976762/manti-teos-teammates-had-their-doubts-about-lennay-kekua

Tyler Moorehead, the Notre Dame rep for college sports network College Spun, recounts from the on-campus gossip:

The debate among teammates wasn't whether or not Manti actually knew this girl - it was clear that they had been in contact; no, players just didn't think that it was fair to call Lennay Kekua Manti's girlfriend, period (it is well-known on campus that he has had relations with other girls during his time at Notre Dame). They recognized what was going on for what it was - a terrible publicity stunt used to fuel Manti Te'o's Heisman campaign. In fact, many of the players privately commented that they didn't want the students to wear leis in support of Manti and wouldn't participate themselves - they cited that the team never responded so publicly to tragic events for other players. But there was also the feeling that Manti didn't deserve to benefit from publicity from the death of somebody he barely knew.

Part of latest Deadspin addendum: http://deadspin.com/...ut-lennay-kekua

This is getting good, need more popcorn.