Spring Practice Updates

Let's not get too excited yet about Cross in short yardage

We had a good number of 3rd and 4th and shorts that we got stuffed on, especially later in the year when everyone knew we were going tight with Cross in there

Our o-line is not consistent enough or dominant enough yet to make Cross a consistently big threat on short yardage

For what we have now, I prefer an edge play or short PA pass on some of those plays when Cross is in there

Yes, he looks the part, but no he isnt a manster who is so exceptional that he can overcome inconsistent line play- on short yardags downs

THis isnt "hate" against Cross, Barney the O-line or anything else- just an observation by a 40 + year season ticket holder who watched every game

You have the weirdest posting style I've ever seen.

Just thought I'd share.

What is a manster.

Half man - Half monster? I like food.

Half Man- Half Monster

Like Lacy from Alabama- 235 lbs and fast, consistently running people over and getting the 3rd and 2, 4th and 1 .Low Pad level, explosive TO THE POA and THROUGH THE POA (Cross Hasnt really shown me that so far), low to the ground, just a brute/bully etc

We havent been able to consistently make those downs power running, Cross or otherwise

Not sure what the answer is, but IMO it isnt Cross

You post how you want to, I'll post how I want to LOL. all I care about is legit content. What a waste a forum would be if everyone were exact clones of one another

I like the offense, seeing progress, but Im not happy with our 3rd and 4th and short efficiency. I dont think most Husker fans feel real confident we are getting first downs running inside on those downs. I know Im not.

GBR

If you look at the numbers, we are decently proficient in short yardage situations. Last year we were:

With one yard to go: Cross was 78%, Burkhead 71%, Heard 50%, Martinez 80%, and Ameer was an astounding 92% success rate.

From the 1 yardline and goal to go: Ameer is 2/3 (his failure resulted in a TD the next play), Rex: 0/1 (failure resulted in an Ameer TD next play), Cross 2/3.

Extending that to the 2 yardline and goal to go: Ameer 3/5, Cross 4/6, Rex 1/2, and Martinez 1/2.

Overall, we were pretty successful in 1 yard to go situations with Ameer leading the way. In goal to go situations, we scored TD's around 90% of the time with one of the failures ending a half as time ran out.

We had a good number of 3rd and 4th and shorts that we got stuffed on, especially later in the year when everyone knew we were going tight with Cross in there

Our o-line is not consistent enough or dominant enough yet to make Cross a consistently big threat on short yardage

For what we have now, I prefer an edge play or short PA pass on some of those plays when Cross is in there

Yes, he looks the part, but no he isnt a manster who is so exceptional that he can overcome inconsistent line play- on short yardags downs

THis isnt "hate" against Cross, Barney the O-line or anything else- just an observation by a 40 + year season ticket holder who watched every game

Just thought I'd share.

What is a manster.

Half Man- Half Monster

Like Lacy from Alabama- 235 lbs and fast, consistently running people over and getting the 3rd and 2, 4th and 1 .Low Pad level, explosive TO THE POA and THROUGH THE POA (Cross Hasnt really shown me that so far), low to the ground, just a brute/bully etc

We havent been able to consistently make those downs power running, Cross or otherwise

You post how you want to, I'll post how I want to LOL. all I care about is legit content. What a waste a forum would be if everyone were exact clones of one another

I like the offense, seeing progress, but Im not happy with our 3rd and 4th and short efficiency. I dont think most Husker fans feel real confident we are getting first downs running inside on those downs. I know Im not.

GBR

If you look at the numbers, we are decently proficient in short yardage situations. Last year we were:

With one yard to go: Cross was 78%, Burkhead 71%, Heard 50%, Martinez 80%, and Ameer was an astounding 92% success rate.

From the 1 yardline and goal to go: Ameer is 2/3 (his failure resulted in a TD the next play), Rex: 0/1 (failure resulted in an Ameer TD next play), Cross 2/3.

Extending that to the 2 yardline and goal to go: Ameer 3/5, Cross 4/6, Rex 1/2, and Martinez 1/2.

Overall, we were pretty successful in 1 yard to go situations with Ameer leading the way. In goal to go situations, we scored TD's around 90% of the time with one of the failures ending a half as time ran out.

If we want to be top 10 we have to be better than 9/14 from the 2- about 65% and better from the 1 than 4/7 57%

As to 1 yard to go, not sure what the real stats were but I do remember some plays we made and some real stuffs as well- not top 10 worthy IMO- which is our goal

My guess is some of those Martinez and Ameer runs were to the outside

The inside runs- just muscle us the 1-2 yards when we need it- isnt as consistent as it needs to be to be top 10 worthy

GBR

• Fire 1

Just thought I'd share.

What is a manster.

Half Man- Half Monster

GBR

If we want to be top 10 we have to be better than 9/14 from the 2- about 65% and better from the 1 than 4/7 57%

As to 1 yard to go, not sure what the real stats were but I do remember some plays we made and some real stuffs as well- not top 10 worthy IMO- which is our goal

My guess is some of those Martinez and Ameer runs were to the outside

The inside runs- just muscle us the 1-2 yards when we need it- isnt as consistent as it needs to be to be top 10 worthy

GBR

You know that the other team is trying to stop us, right? The other teams are trying to be top ten as well.

NU doesnt have a consistent enough short yardage game to be considered a top 10 team

If the standard is less than that, so be it

10 teams will be in the top 10, 114 will not

Everyone can "try", nice try little Johnny you get a participatiion trophy

At NU the standard shouldnt be little Johnny nice try participation trophy

GBR

• Fire 1

NU doesnt have a consistent enough short yardage game to be considered a top 10 team

GBR

The point I make in response to that is you're taking the stats I posted in isolation which isn't determinant of a successful drive. If we are 1st & goal from the 3 yardline and run the ball three straight times for one yard each and subsequently score a TD on the third play. According to the stats in isolation, that is only 33.33% which isn't good. But ultimately I still consider that a good trip because we eventually scored a TD.

So, our overall TD conversion rate at or inside the two yardline when trying to run the ball is 9/10 with the ONLY failure being Imani Cross ending the half on 2nd down at the half yardline. Not to say we can't get better in short yardage situations, but 9/10 and our only failure being as time expired at half is pretty solid in my eyes.

GBR

The point I make in response to that is you're taking the stats I posted in isolation which isn't determinant of a successful drive. If we are 1st & goal from the 3 yardline and run the ball three straight times for one yard each and subsequently score a TD on the third play. According to the stats in isolation, that is only 33.33% which isn't good. But ultimately I still consider that a good trip because we eventually scored a TD.

So, our overall TD conversion rate at or inside the two yardline when trying to run the ball is 9/10 with the ONLY failure being Imani Cross ending the half on 2nd down at the half yardline. Not to say we can't get better in short yardage situations, but 9/10 and our only failure being as time expired at half is pretty solid in my eyes.

My question is how many more games would we have won this year if we had a great short-yardage game?

Does it need improvement? Yes. But it's a ways down my list.

The defensive line and safety are two areas hit hard by graduation. What do you see out of those positions this spring?

BP: I think we have guys that may be a little more dynamic athletically than what we've been. And we have some guys who we think can really do some things. It's going to be interesting to watch their development and how they continue to respond. We've moved some guys around. We have a lot of options in the secondary. A few years ago when we we were in the Big 12, we were recruiting more in the secondary than we were at linebacker, which is why we're a little bit younger at linebacker. We have a few more options in the secondary and guys that can do a lot of different things and play multiple spots, so that helps you.

Is there a whole lot of competition this spring, given how many starting jobs are open on defense?

BP: Absolutely. Like I told our guys, "Don't worry where you're lining up on the depth chart. Worry about taking care of yourself and your reps. Concentrate on making yourself a better football player." At the end of the day, it's only 15 practices. These jobs aren't going to be won or lost this time of year. Now we're going to make some strides, and maybe certain guys put themselves in position to be starters. But there's a lot of football to be played and a lot of practices to be had before we actually kick this thing off at the end of August. So if every guy just concentrates on making themselves better and tries to make the most out of every single rep that we have, then that's going to give them the best opportunity to grow as a football player and be ready to play in the fall.

You're going to be doing more live contact stuff than usual this spring, right?

BP: Yeah. We're going to do a little bit more scrimmaging maybe than we have in the past and really have a nice, good physical spring to try and put guys in position to see who can do it live, who's going to be able to make plays in space. Defensively, who's going to be able to make those one-on-one tackles when they find themselves in those positions? You want to take the guesswork out of it, see that guy, if he was there, would he have finished it off? Well, we're going to be asking them this spring to finish it off and see where they are. It's one of the reasons we went a little bit earlier in the spring than we have in the past, so we can be physical and then split up our spring with the spring break. We'll have eight practices before spring break and seven after, to give our guys a little bit of a break in there so we can make the most out of every opportunity we have.

LINK

More from that ESPN article Ed Helms posted above. Good Q&A article by Brian Bennett.

• Fire 1

Spring game, 2pm, April 6th.... BTN

I am glad its at 2! Gives time to have fun before!

And after!!

I won't be attending, because I am simply too good for these things! Lol jk jk, but I will be coming down to Omaha Friday night, definitely won't be able to do the Friday deal and meet some of you fellas, but hopefully there is a tailgate or something...