Defensive Scheme

I am watching the a special on the BIG network about the Huskers dynasty in the 90s. TO and others said "we want an attacking defense, a defensive the pressures the passer every down rather that half the downs. Corners became safeties, safeties became linebackers and linebackers became DEs because we wanted speed on the field."

Boy I miss this type of defense. I really don't like the read and react defense.

I am watching the a special on the BIG network about the Huskers dynasty in the 90s. TO and others said "we want an attacking defense, a defensive the pressures the passer every down rather that half the downs. Corners became safeties, safeties became linebackers and linebackers became DEs because we wanted speed on the field.

Boy I miss this type of defense. I really don't like the read and react defense.

You and most everyone else.

It's also a different game now. Back then you had running qb's or passing/statue qb's. Now you have dual threat qb's. Offenses are so predicated on spread and playing in space that if you try to shoot gaps and attack or send DE's up field on hard rushes, you get gashed through the middle. I'm not saying that McBride's style wouldnt work in today's game, I'm just saying he never had to face anything close to the multiplicity that today's offenses have. It's just a different game.

• Fire 2

I don't see other teams standing at the line controlling gaps against NU. We have the fastest QB in college football, and opposition defensive linemen are collapsing the pocket. How many of TM's fumbles were caused by a blind sided hit while he was in the pocket?

If memory serves correct, very few. Most of TM's fumbles happened when he left the pocket, whether by designed run or scrambling. I can think of a couple scrap examples where he was blindsided in a throw and lost the ball, but that was irregular. He typically has poor ball handling skills when running.

I don't see other teams standing at the line controlling gaps against NU. We have the fastest QB in college football, and opposition defensive linemen are collapsing the pocket. How many of TM's fumbles were caused by a blind sided hit while he was in the pocket?

If memory serves correct, very few. Most of TM's fumbles happened when he left the pocket, whether by designed run or scrambling. I can think of a couple scrap examples where he was blindsided in a throw and lost the ball, but that was irregular. He typically has poor ball handling skills when running.

I'm about 90% positive exactly 2 were from blind sides in the pocket. Just from casual observation it seems like half his fumbles come when he gets near the sideline. I don't know what it is but he always seems fumbles going out of bounds or fumbles the ball out of bounds. Of course those aren't turnovers so it's not as big of a deal, but it's still a ball security issue.

It's also a different game now. Back then you had running qb's or passing/statue qb's. Now you have dual threat qb's. Offenses are so predicated on spread and playing in space that if you try to shoot gaps and attack or send DE's up field on hard rushes, you get gashed through the middle. I'm not saying that McBride's style wouldnt work in today's game, I'm just saying he never had to face anything close to the multiplicity that today's offenses have. It's just a different game.

One of the better posts Ive seen on this.

I'm about 90% positive exactly 2 were from blind sides in the pocket. Just from casual observation it seems like half his fumbles come when he gets near the sideline. I don't know what it is but he always seems fumbles going out of bounds or fumbles the ball out of bounds. Of course those aren't turnovers so it's not as big of a deal, but it's still a ball security issue.

I watched the Southern Miss game and the Arkansas State game on DVR in the last two weeks and off the top of my head I can remember two blindside hit/fumbles in the Ark State game alone. One accounted for Ark State's first TD and the other killed a Husker drive in the red zone.

I find it awfully hard to believe that it only happened twice and both happened in the same game.

I watched the Southern Miss game and the Arkansas State game on DVR in the last two weeks and off the top of my head I can remember two blindside hit/fumbles in the Ark State game alone. One accounted for Ark State's first TD and the other killed a Husker drive in the red zone.

I find it awfully hard to believe that it only happened twice and both happened in the same game.

Also one in Wisky game IIRC...Believe there was another time where it was a complete miracle that he didn't fumble (Maybe UGA?)

Maybe I'm thinking of blind side turnovers, that's probably it actually.

I had a DVR tragedy and lost the nonconference games, Ohio State and Wiscy. I'll cruise through the rest of the season and see whether there were more. I know there were, I just can't pinpoint them ATM.

We have a bizarre blocking scheme where we release one or more D Linemen on many plays. In theory that's to get us second-level blocking, but in practice more often than is healthy it allows a free rusher to disrupt the play in the backfield. Rex was adept at making that first man miss, often in the backfield immediately after taking the handoff or we'd have had even more negative-yardage plays. Whatever that strategy is, it puts too much pressure on ball handling in the backfield, too early in the play. That's pressure we're putting on ourselves, by scheme, and it's stupid.

Martinez most certainly has ball security issues, but we compound his already inherent issues with our own scheme. We could put ourselves in a much better position if we'd simply secure the line of scrimmage first.

My point is that I don't see other teams using dancing defensive linemen. Other teams aggressively come across the line of scrimmage. The results speak for themselves. The 2012 defense broke several all time futility records.

And the 2009 defense set production records.

So the results speak for themselves, but what are they saying? Because obviously they aren't saying "this scheme doesn't work."

Also one in Wisky game IIRC...Believe there was another time where it was a complete miracle that he didn't fumble (Maybe UGA?)

The QB has some responsibility with fumbling on blind side hits. BUT, I lay most of that on his protection on that side. I honestly don't know of a QB in history who hasn't fumbled because of a blind side hit. from time to time.