DT Abu Lamin [South Carolina - Signed LOI]

So in other words, he wants to play in the SEC...

What is it with kids these days?....

It's obviously the best conference in the country, that's not debatable. And it's not like he's going after crappy teams like Kentucky. SC is a game away from a natty, and Bama has won 3 of the last 4.

but he does have arkansas as his number 3.

So in other words, he wants to play in the SEC...

What is it with kids these days?....

It's obviously the best conference in the country, that's not debatable. And it's not like he's going after crappy teams like Kentucky. SC is a game away from a natty, and Bama has won 3 of the last 4.

but he does have arkansas as his number 3.

They had one off year, and although he's a douche, Beliema is a very capable coach, they'll be up and running in no time. If I were a 5 star recruit I would be very appealed to a conference that had the last 7 championships with 2 of my choices being very close to/winning championships.

I'm not trying to say I wouldn't love him here, but his top choices are very reasonable. It's not like they're Kentucky, Vandy, and Mizzou.

You're changing your argument now. But, if you want to focus specifically on DT recruitment:

You mentioned valentine already, who had offers from most of the SEC, including Alabama and Florida.

Todd Peat had a ton of big offers, including Alabama and Miami.

Kevin Williams had a lot of offers, including Oregon, Michigan and Stanford.

Chase Rome had offers from most of the SEC, including Florida, as well as Oklahoma, Miami and a bunch of others.

Jay Guy had offers from A&M, Michigan, UCLA, and more.

Despite the bad luck we've had at the position once they get here, we've recruited DT pretty well. So, no, this would not be an unprecedented recruit for us, even if we're now being specific to the DT position.

Like I said though, he's still big time and I would be impressed if we can land him.

(Also, you'll need to provide a breakdown of how many Alabama recruits have received a call from coach Saban before I believe that puts him at the top of their board. I think it's pretty common to have a head coach call a recruit with an offer to make a splash.)

You're missing my point. Yes all those guys had decent offer lists, but none of them were very highly rated. It's been shown time and time again that once you get one or two big name, highly ranked recruits, then more will want to join the party because that team has just turned into the flavor of the month.

Now I know ole miss utilized some other tactic$, but they became the flavor of the month last year at the right time and ended up with a top 5 class.

Abu lamin isn't highly rated either. He is only a 5.8 4 star on rivals. Rarely do we get highly rated recruits, last year terrell newby was the only recruit over 6.0

He just seems to me like a guy that will bring other top players with him wherever he ends up.

He won't help bring in other top players. He's a JUCO and he could only bring top JUCO players with him, maybe. Fact is, most teams that ever want to be good for a long time are not going to bring in more than a couple JUCOs per year. If he was a High School DT stud then he could call other HSers and get them talked into coming with him for 4-5 years. Totally different being a JUCO. Don't believe I've ever heard of a JUCO player being a great recruiter for the team he committed to.

You're changing your argument now. But, if you want to focus specifically on DT recruitment:

You mentioned valentine already, who had offers from most of the SEC, including Alabama and Florida.

Todd Peat had a ton of big offers, including Alabama and Miami.

Kevin Williams had a lot of offers, including Oregon, Michigan and Stanford.

Chase Rome had offers from most of the SEC, including Florida, as well as Oklahoma, Miami and a bunch of others.

Jay Guy had offers from A&M, Michigan, UCLA, and more.

Despite the bad luck we've had at the position once they get here, we've recruited DT pretty well. So, no, this would not be an unprecedented recruit for us, even if we're now being specific to the DT position.

Like I said though, he's still big time and I would be impressed if we can land him.

(Also, you'll need to provide a breakdown of how many Alabama recruits have received a call from coach Saban before I believe that puts him at the top of their board. I think it's pretty common to have a head coach call a recruit with an offer to make a splash.)

You're missing my point. Yes all those guys had decent offer lists, but none of them were very highly rated. It's been shown time and time again that once you get one or two big name, highly ranked recruits, then more will want to join the party because that team has just turned into the flavor of the month.

Now I know ole miss utilized some other tactic$, but they became the flavor of the month last year at the right time and ended up with a top 5 class.

Abu lamin isn't highly rated either. He is only a 5.8 4 star on rivals. Rarely do we get highly rated recruits, last year terrell newby was the only recruit over 6.0

He just seems to me like a guy that will bring other top players with him wherever he ends up.

He won't help bring in other top players. He's a JUCO and he could only bring top JUCO players with him, maybe. Fact is, most teams that ever want to be good for a long time are not going to bring in more than a couple JUCOs per year. If he was a High School DT stud then he could call other HSers and get them talked into coming with him for 4-5 years. Totally different being a JUCO. Don't believe I've ever heard of a JUCO player being a great recruiter for the team he committed to.

Tell that to Bill Snyder ^_^

Interesting perspective from the OWH:

Then, website GoGamecocks — representing, unsurprisingly, South Carolina — called Lamin after his Husker visit. Lamin told that little corner of the Internet that NU was still No. 4 on his list — behind South Carolina, Alabama (which had just offered) and Arkansas. Monday morning, Lamin officially committed to South Carolina. The Gamecocks closed the door fast once Bama offered and the Huskers impressed.

If you didn’t know why I’ve been writing for nearly two years how hard it is to land juco DTs, perhaps now you have a better idea. Even the two-time defending national champions, with all of their excellent recruiting, need a juco DT.

Looks like location played into this for both schools. Newell couldn't make it to the Black Magic Showcase and a lot of the analysts are still predicting him to NU. Lamin is from NC, and we're are the closest "best" offer he had. Location, Location, Location I guess. We also picked up another DT from Alabama this week, so we are done at DT recruiting this cycle, which mean you probably already knew, but we are no longer pursuing Newell at all, so he's all NU's. Both Lamin and Newell should have great collegiate careers.