Manziel

Those highlights are fun to watch, but I don't think he'll have that pocket for days this year.

That pocket collapsed quickly, a lot throughout the highlight.... It doesn't matter with that kid. The best college QB I've seen in a long long time.... Speed, wiggle, and a deadly arm; not many guys have all that....

What struggles? He can fix his problems by not going to UT Frat parties or any party that puts him in a bad situation? By not being a spoiled little brat who has to have a Mercedes Benz? By waking his ass up on time to fullful a committment to the Mannings? I've read enough on the kid to know he's selfish. If he wants to fix his problems, then he needs to stop being stupid and use some better judgment.

that is a valid position. you get to the top, you think that would motivate you even more because it is much harder to stay there. just keep it simple and focus on football and school. i get that, too.

Exactly. I mean I don't know how anyone can think Manziel has it tough. Jack Hoffman has it tough. Any kid with an illness has it tough. Manziel has it made. It's not like I want him to get raped in a prison shower or get hurt on the field or something. I just hope some defenses bring him back to earth this year.

It's tough to have riches and fame. Just ask all the professional athletes who've gone broke.

Is it? Sure there are athletes who have squandered away all their money, but a lot (most?) of them don't. What makes them so different than those who have gone broke. Who's fault is it? Are we suppose to feel sorry for them? Would they feel sorry for us?

This is wrong...80% of NFL players are broke or bankrupt just 2 yrs after retirement.

Many people act like he should just sit inside 24/7 and do nothing.

Seriously. I have MORE respect for guys who can live it up, party, hook up with hot girls and still get it done on the field. The majority of non-athlete college guys are doing/are attempting to do the same stuff; what's the big deal?

they do not have as much to lose or the commitments of a qb at a major university. not to mention that you can have a good time without being too hungover to take advantage of a major opportunity like the manning camp. he just is not very smart about it.

So he is cursed because he is the best player? If he sucked or if he was a normal guy, he could do whatever the hell he wanted? Is that what you're saying? If he is able to still get things done on the field, he should be able to have fun, within reason (let's not break the law), off the field. His exceptional talent should be leveraged into doing cool stuff, not handcuffing him to his playbook.

Seriously. I have MORE respect for guys who can live it up, party, hook up with hot girls and still get it done on the field. The majority of non-athlete college guys are doing/are attempting to do the same stuff; what's the big deal?

they do not have as much to lose or the commitments of a qb at a major university. not to mention that you can have a good time without being too hungover to take advantage of a major opportunity like the manning camp. he just is not very smart about it.

So he is cursed because he is the best player? If he sucked or if he was a normal guy, he could do whatever the hell he wanted? Is that what you're saying? If he is able to still get things done on the field, he should be able to have fun, within reason (let's not break the law), off the field. His exceptional talent should be leveraged into doing cool stuff, not handcuffing him to his playbook.

How much money does a potential first-round drafted QB have at stake vs. the backup punter?

So he is cursed because he is the best player? If he sucked or if he was a normal guy, he could do whatever the hell he wanted? Is that what you're saying?

Pretty much, yeah. As Spider-Man said, "With great power comes great responsibility."

Man I forgot what he plays like! It's almost like watching a backyard football game between kids the way he just runs around out there.

It's.......scary how good he is. Players shouldn't be that much better than everyone else in today's day and age. You would think with all of the parity that is brought about by early development, equipment, camps and private coaches and whatever else that players shouldn't be able to get away with just being "ballers" the way that this kid does. It's unreal.

How much money does a potential first-round drafted QB have at stake vs. the backup punter?

How has he messed up on the field?

So he is cursed because he is the best player? If he sucked or if he was a normal guy, he could do whatever the hell he wanted? Is that what you're saying?

Pretty much, yeah. As Spider-Man said, "With great power comes great responsibility."

So....Spider-Man ever said that. Stan Lee wrote it at the end of "Amazing Fantasy" # 15 and then Uncle Ben said it in the movie.

....................but anyways, you really shouldn't be taking advice from comic books.

So....Spider-Man ever said that. Stan Lee wrote it at the end of "Amazing Fantasy" # 15 and then Uncle Ben said it in the movie.

....................but anyways, you really shouldn't be taking advice from comic books.

Actually, at the end of Spider-Man, there is a voice over at the cemetery where Spider-Man does in fact say those exact words.

....................but anyways, Jesus said essentially the same thing in Luke 12:48. "Everyone to whom much was given, of him much will be required, and from him to whom they entrusted much, they will demand the more." In addition, Franklin Delano Roosevelt said the same thing in his undelivered Jefferson Day Address as well, "Today we have learned in the agony of war that great power involves great responsibility."

Actually, at the end of Spider-Man, there is a voice over at the cemetery where Spider-Man does in fact say those exact words.

....................but anyways, Jesus said essentially the same thing in Luke 12:48. "Everyone to whom much was given, of him much will be required, and from him to whom they entrusted much, they will demand the more." In addition, Franklin Delano Roosevelt said the same thing in his undelivered Jefferson Day Address as well, "Today we have learned in the agony of war that great power involves great responsibility."

Spider-Man or Peter Parker? The quote that is originally attributed to someone else? How about we just attribute it to you now since you're typing it from your computer in Dearborn?

I don't understand how the Jesus quote applies. If more is truly "demanded" of him, does that translate to "demanding" that he not party and have a good time? Maybe hes doing community service and participating in other activities that are good for the community/others that go unnoticed because everyone wants to concentrate solely on his after hours behavior.

FDR sure had great power. I mean, 4 TERMS. He also DEFINITELY had his fun on the side (read multiple affairs). I think adultery is a little worse than getting thrown out of a frat party or sleeping through an alarm. That being said, he didn't practice what he preached; why should Johnny Football have to live up to his (undelivered) words (which I still don't understand, what great "responsibility" does he have)?

i do not think what i said and what you said are mutually exclusive. i just would not want to see his behavior get out of hand and him miss out on his potential. time will tell the effect of this summer. but i think a lot of people do not like him because he is a spoiled, little brat from spoiled, bratty parents.

Spider-Man or Peter Parker? The quote that is originally attributed to someone else? How about we just attribute it to you now since you're typing it from your computer in Dearborn?

I don't understand how the Jesus quote applies. If more is truly "demanded" of him, does that translate to "demanding" that he not party and have a good time? Maybe hes doing community service and participating in other activities that are good for the community/others that go unnoticed because everyone wants to concentrate solely on his after hours behavior.

FDR sure had great power. I mean, 4 TERMS. He also DEFINITELY had his fun on the side (read multiple affairs). I think adultery is a little worse than getting thrown out of a frat party or sleeping through an alarm. That being said, he didn't practice what he preached; why should Johnny Football have to live up to his (undelivered) words (which I still don't understand, what great "responsibility" does he have)?

I mean are you making a point because first it was that Spider-Man didn't say that and also that I shouldn't take advice from comic book characters and now it is that FDR is a hypocrite or something I'm not sure I understand.

I will make it really simple though. Humankind naturally expects more from people who have more. More being qualitative, not quantitative. People of influence need to be above reproach. Not saying it's right or wrong, but it's reality.

I mean are you making a point because first it was that Spider-Man didn't say that and also that I shouldn't take advice from comic book characters and now it is that FDR is a hypocrite or something I'm not sure I understand.

I will make it really simple though. Humankind naturally expects more from people who have more. More being qualitative, not quantitative. People of influence need to be above reproach. Not saying it's right or wrong, but it's reality.

My point about Spider-Man is....I'm a comic book fan and I was setting the record straight on that quote. I'm a dork. When it comes to the advice, though, it does hit at the essence of knowing the source and choosing reputable sources. A comic book and an adulterous, powerful person aren't people we should be looking to for advice. Hell, I don't agree with anything you say, but you seem to be much more upstanding than FDR. Why not just use your own insights?

That's fair that humankind expects more, but I don't think it should be demanded. This guy is scrutinized for partying, sleeping through his alarm, and being critical of people on Twitter. I can think of probably 10 CFB players that have done worse in just the last month. And that's just stuff we KNOW of. I demand someone who doesn't do illegal stuff out of the realm of what typical college kids would do. I don't demand a dork who sits in his room all day or someone who spends every weekend reading to sick kids.

Also, look where being a saint got Timmy Tebow when he was in school. People crapped on him worse than Manziel! What's a guy to do?

Also, look where being a saint got Timmy Tebow when he was in school. People crapped on him worse than Manziel! What's a guy to do?

These are a bit different, aren't they? Manziel is generally disliked by the populace, while Tebow was eventually disliked because everyone actually loved and continues to love him. The hate towards him comes from the praise he receives while the hate towards Manziel comes from his actions.

I'll also add in that Tim Tebow likely doesn't care one way or the other - I don't know him personally so I can't say, but I think he understands the opportunity his platform provides and uses it well, but doesn't count the love and adoration and, let's face it, worship of so many people as any kind of gain.

These are a bit different, aren't they? Manziel is generally disliked by the populace, while Tebow was eventually disliked because everyone actually loved and continues to love him. The hate towards him comes from the praise he receives while the hate towards Manziel comes from his actions.

I'll also add in that Tim Tebow likely doesn't care one way or the other - I don't know him personally so I can't say, but I think he understands the opportunity his platform provides and uses it well, but doesn't count the love and adoration and, let's face it, worship of so many people as any kind of gain.

This is absolutely false. People hate Tebow because he came off as a try-too-hard. Trying too hard to seem like a "nice guy". Trying too hard to say the right things. Trying too hard to do the right things. Trying too hard to circumcise boys in SE Asia. People hated that Tebow was TRYING to come off as a saint. He receives ZERO praise now (how many snaps did he get last season? Ten?) and people continue to hate him.