Thomas Brown & Ernest Suttles Off the Team

I think we were all pumped to see what Brown could do....lets not try to deny that now. HOWEVER I watched Aflava and Brown in Spring Game (watched twice) and I was more impressed with Aflava. I think Brown would have been a good player here but we are fine....

Aflava- Same athletic ability of Brown but little bulkier....I look for him to be a starter this year. Remember, the coaches said Aflava was ahead of Brown this spring.

Santos- Will start this year imo, experienced as we have. Still young, will be good!

Anderson- Best LB on team...the Oklahoma drill still gives me the chills! Wow I am excited for his year!

Rose- Run stuffer! He has a nose for the ball...remember he was the more highly recruited of Aflava, Brown and himself...his time will come!

Love- IMO the most physical speciman we have....when I saw him at the Spring game it was hard to believe that was a 18 year old kid....if he gets the mental side WATCH OUT....

Roach- Had a great spring game...be interesting to see what he can do in fall camp

Newby, Banderas- RS for sure this year...but will be key contributors in the future! Just need a year to physically prepare.

Sure Brown hurts...but we had two GREAT LB recruiting classes recently...

I think I heard Benning just read this on the air today. Props to you. But he did call you message board guy.

I may be getting 2013 recruits mixed up, but wasn't Suttles the well-spoken young man that did that great interview online? "Yes sir" and such every other sentence.

I think you are right. He was also the kid we "stole" from Iowa State.

Here it is. Thought he was gonna be a great kid based on it

This is all kind of scarry for the defense. Not that these two guys (Brown and Suttles) are gone, but the continued realization of how much we are going to be relying on underclassmen to come through for us. It appears that the Huskers really need a guy like Vincent Valentine to step up. The guy is a redshirt frosh. Same with Curry and a host of others. And many of these guys were not really highly recruited. When I say highly recruited, I mean to indicate their rating. I have always interpeted the star system to indicate either likely potential or immediate value. One and two star guys tend to be project guys that may or may not ever play. Guys that are three stars tend to be immediate role players in terms of limited downs or special teams work and may have a longer career track toward being an impact player. Guys that are four star tend to have the body type to contribute right now and make an impact beyond just being a role player, as in a solid starter, and they may have a longer career track toward being elite. FIve stars have immediate impact potential and a short career track towards being elite.

We recruit three star guys. Valentine and Curry are three star guys.

Sure, the star system isn't always right. Sometimes its fatally flawed. But it doesn give some indication

These guys might be good eventually, but it's hard for me to believe that a guy like Valentine spends one year on campus and is suddenly a major player on the front line.

I hope I am wrong, but it sure doens't seem that way.

Maybe it's just my hang over from last year talking.

yeah, this sucks from a depth standpoint. we've had depth issues with LBer since entering the B1G. i know there is a list of players with potential - but when you're getting into unheard of walk-ons to make your 3 deep it's getting dicey. I think we have around 8 scholly LBers to play 3 positions. We have what, 5 RBs for 1 position? Or 8-12 CBs for 2. Our only player with more than 2 years in the system is Roach. You have to assume that a few of these scholly guys are going to wash out. That leaves us with 4-5 guys to fill 3 spots. Not good. Sky's not falling, but DL and LBer are the last 2 positions we needed to see get the boot.

Expect to see Evans playing that nickel spot a lot more than Bo would like this year.

This is all kind of scarry for the defense. Not that these two guys (Brown and Suttles) are gone, but the continued realization of how much we are going to be relying on underclassmen to come through for us. It appears that the Huskers really need a guy like Vincent Valentine to step up. The guy is a redshirt frosh. Same with Curry and a host of others. And many of these guys were not really highly recruited. When I say highly recruited, I mean to indicate their rating. I have always interpeted the star system to indicate either likely potential or immediate value. One and two star guys tend to be project guys that may or may not ever play. Guys that are three stars tend to be immediate role players in terms of limited downs or special teams work and may have a longer career track toward being an impact player. Guys that are four star tend to have the body type to contribute right now and make an impact beyond just being a role player, as in a solid starter, and they may have a longer career track toward being elite. FIve stars have immediate impact potential and a short career track towards being elite.

We recruit three star guys. Valentine and Curry are three star guys.

Sure, the star system isn't always right. Sometimes its fatally flawed. But it doesn give some indication

These guys might be good eventually, but it's hard for me to believe that a guy like Valentine spends one year on campus and is suddenly a major player on the front line.

I hope I am wrong, but it sure doens't seem that way.

Maybe it's just my hang over from last year talking.

I understand what you are saying and somewhat agree. But, to put a positive spin on it, we don't need an excessive amount of talent or such to improve over what we had last year. Maybe I'm a bit too hard on our D these last couple of years and maybe I'm being a little too optimistic but, is there anyway possible we don't improve at LB & DL? I shudder to think that it won't be much better regardless these two departures.

I think we were all pumped to see what Brown could do....lets not try to deny that now. HOWEVER I watched Aflava and Brown in Spring Game (watched twice) and I was more impressed with Aflava. I think Brown would have been a good player here but we are fine....

Aflava- Same athletic ability of Brown but little bulkier....I look for him to be a starter this year. Remember, the coaches said Aflava was ahead of Brown this spring.

Santos- Will start this year imo, experienced as we have. Still young, will be good!

Anderson- Best LB on team...the Oklahoma drill still gives me the chills! Wow I am excited for his year!

Rose- Run stuffer! He has a nose for the ball...remember he was the more highly recruited of Aflava, Brown and himself...his time will come!

Love- IMO the most physical speciman we have....when I saw him at the Spring game it was hard to believe that was a 18 year old kid....if he gets the mental side WATCH OUT....

Roach- Had a great spring game...be interesting to see what he can do in fall camp

Newby, Banderas- RS for sure this year...but will be key contributors in the future! Just need a year to physically prepare.

Sure Brown hurts...but we had two GREAT LB recruiting classes recently...

I think I heard Benning just read this on the air today. Props to you. But he did call you message board guy.

I'll take it....I guess

I understand what you are saying and somewhat agree. But, to put a positive spin on it, we don't need an excessive amount of talent or such to improve over what we had last year. Maybe I'm a bit too hard on our D these last couple of years and maybe I'm being a little too optimistic but, is there anyway possible we don't improve at LB & DL? I shudder to think that it won't be much better regardless these two departures.

You're right, but unfortunately that's the only basis for the hope this D is going to be better. It's entire foundation is based on "they can't be as bad as last year". Otherwise, there isn't much historically that would make someone think this will be a better team. How often do you graduate almost an entire squad and improve? Rarely. Not saying it won't happen, but I think Husker fans are going on blind faith and a lot of hope right now.

My concern is that if this D is 1 mental mistake away from giving up 6 on any given play (which was obvious and confirmed last year and in years past numerous times)...who do you think will be making more mental mistakes, a team primarily comprised of seniors...or a team of freshman/sophomores.

This might work at other places, but if Bo sticks to his system...it's not looking good for us. We've been talking for the last 3 years about how kids have finally been in the system a while and understand the D, and that's why we are going to be better. Why would anyone think that no longer applies....because it doesn't fit our current situation?

• Fire 1