How do you think the game will be called on the defensive side this year

I have to imagine that the huskers will get a lot of leads this year, especially early, with such a veteran offense. Do you think that will mean that Bo has the guys be more aggressive to possibly create more turnovers and big plays or do you see him calling a conservative defensive game?

Bo is probably gonna realize that we have an offense that can cover up a lot of mistakes. I can see him really analyzing the risk/reward factor and being a lot more aggresive early in games. Freeing up that young but athletic defensive talent and allowing them to go make some plays. Even last year we seemed to be much more aggressive on D than we had become used to under Bo.

We are going to be up in a lot of games this year. This is where we will need Randy Gregory, Moss, McMullen, and Afalava to get pressure because the other team will need to pass to catch up.

How do you think the defense will be called to allow us to build such a lead?

I rewatched the MSU and UGA game today and I looked a ton at the DL and linebackers. To answer the question, I don't anticipate too much of a difference. What I noticed was that Compton, Fisher, and Whaley were often headed to the right place, but with the lack of top end athletic ability when talking about these guys they were often late. So when the ball carrier should have been gaining 1 or 2 yards, they were getting 4, 5, and sometimes 6. We as the casual fans would immediately blame the DL when in fact they had done their jobs. That would then open the play book for both those teams to do a lot more on 2nd and 5 or 4 then it would 2 and 8 or 9. I would hope with the added athletes we will have at LB that we are able to manipulate what OCs can call on us because we are able to keep some of the up the middle and tosses to minimal yardage.

Blitzkrieg.

This is one of the few times I agree with Lyons. It's goin to be blitz city which is very risky. If only we had a D line like 09. That's when Pelini defenses produce. When the D line can get consistent pressure without sending LB's or safety's in, then the defense is shutdown.

Is it me or does it seem like we blitz a lot less than we used to? Seems like McBride did a LOT more blitzing on those mid-90s teams. Then again, he had the players to do it with.

Blitzkrieg.

This is one of the few times I agree with Lyons. It's goin to be blitz city which is very risky. If only we had a D line like 09. That's when Pelini defenses produce. When the D line can get consistent pressure without sending LB's or safety's in, then the defense is shutdown.

Is it me or does it seem like we blitz a lot less than we used to? Seems like McBride did a LOT more blitzing on those mid-90s teams. Then again, he had the players to do it with.

Nobody blitzes like that anymore.

Blitzkrieg.

Yeah, and it's too bad. Was very fun to watch. I guess OCs figured out how to pick a blitzing defense apart.

Blitzkrieg.

Rob Ryan does. It just doesn't work anymore. At least in the NFL.

Blitzkrieg.

Yeah, and it's too bad. Was very fun to watch. I guess OCs figured out how to pick a blitzing defense apart.

Its alot harder to constantly blitz with so many 4 and 5 wr packages

I think we will be a lot more pressure this year. Especially if Curry, Randle and/or Valentine can remain healthy. Moss, McMullen, Gregory and Ankrah will be great on the edge, with Gregory being our dominant pass rusher. We have the speed and athleticism in our LB crew to get in the backfield as well with Anderson, Afalava, Roach, Santos and some true freshman. I think Rose will get some playing time, along with Love.

All in all, I see a lot more pressure, rather than contain, like last year. We have the speed, athleticism and tools to do it. We may not be perfect all the time on the defense, but I think Pelini has pointed it out a few times, we have the athleticism that can make up for the little mistakes. Just let these kids go out and play defense. Keep it simple and let our offense do their job (expecting that our turnover issues are mostly taken care of).

We are going to be up in a lot of games this year. This is where we will need Randy Gregory, Moss, McMullen, and Afalava to get pressure because the other team will need to pass to catch up.

How do you think the defense will be called to allow us to build such a lead?

I rewatched the MSU and UGA game today and I looked a ton at the DL and linebackers. To answer the question, I don't anticipate too much of a difference. What I noticed was that Compton, Fisher, and Whaley were often headed to the right place, but with the lack of top end athletic ability when talking about these guys they were often late. So when the ball carrier should have been gaining 1 or 2 yards, they were getting 4, 5, and sometimes 6. We as the casual fans would immediately blame the DL when in fact they had done their jobs. That would then open the play book for both those teams to do a lot more on 2nd and 5 or 4 then it would 2 and 8 or 9. I would hope with the added athletes we will have at LB that we are able to manipulate what OCs can call on us because we are able to keep some of the up the middle and tosses to minimal yardage.

Our conservative, 2-gap oriented line-scheme does set the plate for the guys behind them. Hopefully the LB's are more ready to eat this year, safeties too.

As far as blitzes mentioned earlier in the thread go I would hope with our added speed we can return the element of surprise. So often we saw guys hanging-out at the line showing blitz with the only question being whether we back-out or not. Would be nice if we can rely on speed and timing more, bring back the "oh s**t" factor.