Any chance we shock the Nation as Auburn did?

Had some random thoughts this morning about the similarities of the '09 Auburn team which came out of nowhere to win it all in 2010. Maybe I just need to be in Memorial Stadium on the 31st.....What do you think?

“The offense finished the season ranked 2nd in the SEC and 16th in the nation (with just under 432 yards per game),while the defense struggled with depth issues and finished 68th and 2nd worst in the SEC.[10] The pass efficiency defense however was 3rd best in the SEC and ranked 22nd in the nation.[11]”

In 2009, Auburn was an 8-5 team that played a tough schedule and didn’t lodge a decent in-conference win while managing to lose to the SEC’s best like Bama, LSU and Georgia. They finished the season unranked and off the radar.

Sound like any team we know? NU defensively blew it in their three biggest games of the year in addition to stumbling at UCLA in front of Erin it’s a good thing I’m easy on the eyes Andrews and a nationwide Fox telecast. Much like ’09 Auburn, our offense was stellar and our defense clearly struggled. The nation isn’t talking about us, we’re not in the SEC so ESPN won’t either and we’ll be starting the year somewhere in the lower half of the polls and we have a lot of question marks defensively.

The Tigers began 2010 ranked #22 and we all know the Scam Newton (definitely NOT my guy) story and how and why he may have chosen Auburn. Despite my detest for him and his body language, he was bigger than the game and clearly could take the game over and dominate. Well we know the rest of the story and I may have forgotten to mention their title run was led by the former coach of the Cyclones who amassed an impressive 5-19 record while at the helm! Gene who?

While Taylor isn’t Scam, he IS a big-time, Senior college quarterback who has proven he can take over and dominate a football game. Especially when "playing against road games". Just ask Washington, Okie lite, MSU, etc. I think we can all agree that we will be better on defense, we may have the best offense in the country and we are off the radar.

When I met Tommie Frazier at the Husker Huddle at the Capital One Bowl I asked him what is the single most important thing holding NU back. He had one word – turnovers. If Taylor cleans up his act (primarily with respect to fumbles and silly picks) it might allow us to maintain field position, better control the game and be a more efficient, executing machine. Tommie would know.

The stage is set. Auburn did it in ’09 with a similar setup. Why not Nebraska?

The single biggest thing holding this team back is NOT turnovers. That's nonsense. The turnovers hurt and we have to fix that, but the biggest reason we won't sniff a national championship is the defense can't stop anyone.

2012 Stats:

Offense

Rushing - #8

Pass Efficiency - #42

Scoring Offense - #26

Total Offense - #28

Defense

Rushing Defense - #90

Pass Efficiency Defense - #9

Scoring Defense - #35

Total Defense - #58

Run the ball, stop the run, win the game. We clearly can run the ball. We cannot stop the run. That's what's holding us back.

• Fire 3

The single biggest thing holding this team back is NOT turnovers. That's nonsense. The turnovers hurt and we have to fix that, but the biggest reason we won't sniff a national championship is the defense can't stop anyone.

2012 Stats:

Offense

Rushing - #8

Pass Efficiency - #42

Scoring Offense - #26

Total Offense - #28

Defense

Rushing Defense - #90

Pass Efficiency Defense - #9

Scoring Defense - #35

Total Defense - #58

Run the ball, stop the run, win the game. We clearly can run the ball. We cannot stop the run. That's what's holding us back.

Now now Knappic...stop with all the statistics and common sense. Have a big glass of kool-aid and rethink your opinon. heh heh heh

I'm going to say yes there's a chance. After re-watching the bowl game against Georgia, I'm further convinced our offense is going to be dominant this season. I think we were just scratching the surface last year.

There are plenty of concerns with this team, they've been discussed at length. I think our offense will be good enough to give us a chance to win every game.

The defense is going to have to be virtually unstoppable for there to be any chance.

Eh, I think unstoppable is an overstatement. We can beat 10 of the teams on our schedule with a good game from our offense and the same defense we had last year. We nearly beat UCLA at their place with last year's defense and handled Michigan at our place. Michigan will be tougher on the road (and possibly a better offense) but I don't think we'd necessarily have to have a much better defense to go 12-0. We obviously had several close calls last year but those were games when our offense struggled for some time in addition to suspect defense.

That could mean that we'd have to have one really good game out of our defense (CCG) to play for the title.

As I said earlier, I didn't think it's likely, but it's a possibility.

The defense is going to have to be virtually unstoppable for there to be any chance.

Eh, I think unstoppable is an overstatement. We can beat 10 of the teams on our schedule with a good game from our offense and the same defense we had last year. We nearly beat UCLA at their place with last year's defense and handled Michigan at our place. Michigan will be tougher on the road (and possibly a better offense) but I don't think we'd necessarily have to have a much better defense to go 12-0. We obviously had several close calls last year but those were games when our offense struggled for some time in addition to suspect defense.

That could mean that we'd have to have one really good game out of our defense (CCG) to play for the title.

As I said earlier, I didn't think it's likely, but it's a possibility.

Agree. In keeping with the thread - Auburn only had a #60 defense that year (#53 scoring). They gave up a chunk of points, but they could score em in droves. Certainly sounds like our gameplan going into this season. And while they played 7 ranked teams to win an NC - we'll likely only play maybe 4 throughout the season...and only Ohio State should be top 10. There's certainly a chance.

Where we have issues is they were #9 against the rush, and 108th against the pass. A rush D is more important to winning a championship than a pass D IMO. Especially in the B1G. We must have a top 30 rush D to accompany our top 10 pass D in order to have any chance. Reach that mark, and be consistent in getting there (not give up 400 rush yards one game, following that up with a 90 yard day the next week) - and we'll be fine.

I'm going to say yes there's a chance. After re-watching the bowl game against Georgia, I'm further convinced our offense is going to be dominant this season. I think we were just scratching the surface last year.

There are plenty of concerns with this team, they've been discussed at length. I think our offense will be good enough to give us a chance to win every game.

Man you're really coming around this off season. By the time fall camp is over you might be a homer again.