****Fall Camp Twitter Thread**** aka the RG44 love fest

"@JoshHarveyFOX: #Nebraska is experimenting with Nate Gerry at linebacker. More to come on @BigRedReport #huskers"

Boom. Saw that coming, but not so soon. Hopefully speaks to the staff's confidence in the other guys we have at safety. I know I just said Gerry could be something special at safety in another thread, but I think he could be an even better OLB. He has first round ability at that position imo.

Didn't Osborne do this quite a bit in his days? Take a big athletic safety with some speed and move them to LB.

Exactly. Started the really great run of defenses in the 90s.

It's interesting how the fans seem to know who the best players are. Especially the ones who don't play.

We've seen Cjax make some special teams tackles, and we've seen him fly around at the nickel spot last year in mop up. You can tell when when guys are better then others, even the little we saw from him. We've also watched Harvey and watched him getting burnt in the UCLA game and then never got much of a shot after that. Not to mention we hear of him struggling in fall camp. So ya I want the more athletic playmaker on the field. If Harvey hasn't played much until his jr year, in a position with depth issues, then we can safely assume he's not going to much more then average. Gerry is a perfect example, he's an elite talent that's going to play right away, not after waiting 4 years, when your a RS junior.

Shuffling Gerry around makes me nervous. If he has the potential to be a good-to-great safety. Put him there, redshirt him, let him learn the finer points of the position in Pelini's system, and let him be a long-term solution there.

Moving him around to "get him on the field" is fine, as long as you actually get him on the field, more than a cute token amount. I'd hate to see it turn into another Corey Cooper-type deal.

What if he has the potential to be a good-great LB?

"@JoshHarveyFOX: #Nebraska is experimenting with Nate Gerry at linebacker. More to come on @BigRedReport #huskers"

Boom. Saw that coming, but not so soon. Hopefully speaks to the staff's confidence in the other guys we have at safety. I know I just said Gerry could be something special at safety in another thread, but I think he could be an even better OLB. He has first round ability at that position imo.

Didn't Osborne do this quite a bit in his days? Take a big athletic safety with some speed and move them to LB.

Yep...Jamal Williams. Remember him blowing up the Florida QB for a safety in the 96 Fiesta Bowl.

Yep...Jamal Williams. Remember him blowing up the Florida QB for a safety in the 96 Fiesta Bowl.

I believe Troy Dumas also made the switch from safety to linebacker for the 94 team.

Shuffling Gerry around makes me nervous. If he has the potential to be a good-to-great safety. Put him there, redshirt him, let him learn the finer points of the position in Pelini's system, and let him be a long-term solution there.

Moving him around to "get him on the field" is fine, as long as you actually get him on the field, more than a cute token amount. I'd hate to see it turn into another Corey Cooper-type deal.

As Dude said, this move should make you nervous, even if the risk is minimal. When you slide players around like this, from position to position, you run the risk of stretching them thin mentally, at the very least.... I'm all for getting our best players on the field, but there is some kind of risk involved for the player's long term development at their "true" position, and I was under the assumption that safety was Gerry's spot....

I believe Troy Dumas also made the switch from safety to linebacker for the 94 team.

Also did that with Ed Stewart, who ended up winning the Butkus Award.

There are much earlier examples than that even. Troy Dumas. Ed Stewart. Lorenzo Brinkley. Ernie Beler.

When the restructuring of the defense took place from the 52 to the 43, that's exactly what they did all across the board. Corners moved to safety. Safeties moved to LB. Linebackers moved to DE. I still dont understand to this day exactly how Trev Alberts won the Butkus Award. He wasnt a Linebacker that year. He was a defensive end. Travis Hill, Dwayne Harris, Dontae Jones, were all OLB in the old 5-2. It just flat out about speed.

Also did that with Ed Stewart, who ended up winning the Butkus Award.

Did Ed start at safety too? He must have switched early on, because he was a linebacker for several seasons if I recall correctly.

Ed was recruited as a safety, and I don't know how many years he played there, but he was part of the overall shift in philosophy that occurred in the early 90s. Safeties were made LBs, LB's were made DE's, and DE's were made DT's.

Terrell Farley was about 6' and 210 lbs, and he excelled at WLB. Now, football is slightly different now but the idea of taking safeties and playing them at WLB in passing situations is not new.

There are much earlier examples than that even. Troy Dumas. Ed Stewart. Lorenzo Brinkley. Ernie Beler.

When the restructuring of the defense took place from the 52 to the 43, that's exactly what they did all across the board. Corners moved to safety. Safeties moved to LB. Linebackers moved to DE. I still dont understand to this day exactly how Trev Alberts won the Butkus Award. He wasnt a Linebacker that year. He was a defensive end. Travis Hill, Dwayne Harris, Dontae Jones, were all OLB in the old 5-2. It just flat out about speed.

I think Trev won the Butkus because it was all semantics. Even up to the '94 team, the rush ends were given the position of OLB. It didn't quite make sense, but that's the position they were named.

As Dude said, this move should make you nervous, even if the risk is minimal. When you slide players around like this, from position to position, you run the risk of stretching them thin mentally, at the very least.... I'm all for getting our best players on the field, but there is some kind of risk involved for the player's long term development at their "true" position, and I was under the assumption that safety was Gerry's spot....

This is a true freshman, how do we know for sure that his 'true' position is safety? He's just starting in practices at Nebraska so maybe the coaches are finding out his 'true' position is actually at linebacker. I think this is something to worry about if it was a Redshirt Soph or Junior moving but not a true freshman.