What we learned today...

walksalone

Unfortunately, Santos may have been ruined mentally for a while being part of that mess a year ago.

I learned that unnecessary and illogical message board meltdowns can in fact provoke inspired performances.

Sure, that's why it happened. The holier than thou super fans are more annoying than the Debbie Downers.

It was unnecessary and illogical like I said. I tried to respond to some things last weekend with general perspective. I understand what folks are saying tonight. True is 100% correct. Cautious optimism. We did what we were supposed to do tonight, regardless who it was against. What went on here over the past week was asenine on numerous angles. It's not about holier than thou fans and debbie downers. It's about complete idiots and tools that were already writing of the entire season based on one game-or 7 sh**ty minutes. That's all.

Maybe we were reading completely different threads because I didn't see one post proclaiming the entire season lost.

Unfortunately, Santos may have been ruined mentally for a while being part of that mess a year ago.

I learned that unnecessary and illogical message board meltdowns can in fact provoke inspired performances.

Sure, that's why it happened. The holier than thou super fans are more annoying than the Debbie Downers.

It was unnecessary and illogical like I said. I tried to respond to some things last weekend with general perspective. I understand what folks are saying tonight. True is 100% correct. Cautious optimism. We did what we were supposed to do tonight, regardless who it was against. What went on here over the past week was asenine on numerous angles. It's not about holier than thou fans and debbie downers. It's about complete idiots and tools that were already writing of the entire season based on one game-or 7 sh**ty minutes. That's all.

Maybe we were reading completely different threads because I didn't see one post proclaiming the entire season lost.

There were numerous ones. Numerous folks proclaiming only 7 or 8 wins based solely on last weeks performance. At least to me, that's writing off the season entirely.

As I said underwhelming isn't the same as disappointing. Something just seems amiss with TM these first two games. The offense hasn't run as smoothly as I expected, which falls on the QB IMO. And as I also said earlier I am sure the conservative play calling has played a factor too.

For instance TM has lead to 7 3 and out drives the first two games this season. It took Nebraska till the second quarter of the Wisconsin game to reach 7 3 and outs last season. When we sustain drives so far this season we have done very well, but for some reason we haven't been able to start drives as consistently as last season. That will hurt when we start lining up against better opponents and the field position battle starts to matter.

As I said underwhelming isn't the same as disappointing. Something just seems amiss with TM these first two games. The offense hasn't run as smoothly as I expected, which falls on the QB IMO. And as I also said earlier I am sure the conservative play calling has played a factor too.

For instance TM has lead to 7 3 and out drives the first two games this season. It took Nebraska till the second quarter of the Wisconsin game to reach 7 3 and outs last season. When we sustain drives so far this season we have done very well, but for some reason we haven't been able to start drives as consistently as last season. That will hurt when we start lining up against better opponents and the field position battle starts to matter.

Sorry if I'm beating a dead horse but I honestly don't ever remember him reading the zone read wrong before the last two games. To me, that says he's trying to limit himself in the early season games. I'd make a decent wager that he's been told to hand off as much as possible in these first two games. He has absolutely dominated the zone read play for most of three years. We haven't run it much and it's been out of sync when we have. To me, that means we're not running it full throttle.

Sorry if I'm beating a dead horse but I honestly don't ever remember him reading the zone read wrong before the last two games. To me, that says he's trying to limit himself in the early season games. I'd make a decent wager that he's been told to hand off as much as possible in these first two games. He has absolutely dominated the zone read play for most of three years. We haven't run it much and it's been out of sync when we have. To me, that means we're not running it full throttle.

That is a completely reasonable explanation and it probably is correct. Doesn't that still lead to a less than expected performance though? Not going full throttle is exactly what I am getting at. I can accept that it is probably by design, that doesn't change that it is less than what it could be though does it?

That is a completely reasonable explanation and it probably is correct. Doesn't that still lead to a less than expected performance though? Not going full throttle is exactly what I am getting at. I can accept that it is probably by design, that doesn't change that it is less than what it could be though does it?

I think you have a legit concern. The offense has been a little puzzling at times in comparison to the expectations. To me however Taylor is fine. Also, you should reserve that opinion till after next week when we're obviously gonna have to open the full book and cut him loose. Taylor's big runs thus far have been broken plays. The designed qb run game has been pretty well kept back thus far. Let's see what happens next week. I got pretty good source says that the game prep for UCLA has been pretty extensive throughout all of fall camp.

Less than expected? Yes. Cause for concern? Not a lot. And if it pays off in the long run - with a healthy Martinez all year - it will be well worth it.

We've also been handicapped by some terrible starting field position. We punted four times today. Those drives started at our own 7, 1, 25 and 16 yard line. We fumbled once to end an 11 play, 62 yard drive on their 21 yard line. The other 8 drives resulted in touchdowns. I think our "conservative" offense - which averaged about 6.5 yards per play - isn't a bad route to go.

Since UCLA, almost every team has used a 3/4 wide set of WR's with a RB motioning out. So I'd like to thank Wyo and Southern Miss for giving our young defense plenty of experience against UCLA's arguably best set of plays used against us last year.

UCLA used very little of the pass to the back out of the backfield in its first game. What that means I do not know.

Maybe it wasn't the RB idk. I just remember them motioning people across field a lot. Be it WR or RB i just remember them motioning players around that led to a lot of open receivers.

Edit- And missed open field tackles.

Less than expected? Yes. Cause for concern? Not a lot. And if it pays off in the long run - with a healthy Martinez all year - it will be well worth it.

We've also been handicapped by some terrible starting field position. We punted four times today. Those drives started at our own 7, 1, 25 and 16 yard line. We fumbled once to end an 11 play, 62 yard drive on their 21 yard line. The other 8 drives resulted in touchdowns. I think our "conservative" offense - which averaged about 6.5 yards per play - isn't a bad route to go.

Speaking of punt. Sam Fultz. Has not been mentioned that I know of (similar to o-lineman, probably a good thing). What a weapon. Total field flipper.

I am not taking too much from this game. So. Miss was 0-12 last year.

Much of my focus was on the defense given the poor performance in week 1.

Gregory and Z. Anderson brought some life to the defense.

Nice pick 6's by SJB and Ciante.

I think Bando and Gerry are good young players but will be overmatched vs. UCLA.

Santos and Seisay are liabilities on defense...they need to improve or let's get next man up.

UCLA is going to hit that underneath middle route all day. Need to stop it for minimum yardage and not miss tackle for big yards. UCLA is faster than Wyoming and So. Miss and they completed that route way too much for my comfort level.

The offense did what they needed against tonight's opponent.

Next week's game is all about limiting points UCLA puts up. The defense has to play lights out to win (sacks, QB hurries, turnovers, limiting the big play...Miami impressed me today with their defense forcing all sorts of trouble on Florida...need turnovers and big momentum plays or else UCLA will run up and down the field on us).

• Fire 2

We learned that Ameer Abdullah is the legitimate starting running back #1, but 2-4 could be starting on a lot of teams.

Stanley Jean Baptiste vs. Quincy Enunwa would be akin Godzilla vs. Megalon, and all of Lincoln, nay, Lancaster County would be destroyed in struggle. (Kenny Bell would be Mothra)

Kellog seems to be a more natural passer than Martinez, and Armstrong can run the option better than Martinez, but Martinez can still scorch the field with his running when the mood (or opportunity strikes). UCLA ignores his speed at their own peril.

The days of opposing quarterbacks safely loafing for ten or twelve seconds in a safe and secure pocket have come to an end...and that end is Gregory.

We no longer have to hold our breaths and hope that starters don't get injured during meaningless mop up duty. This was an ideal game in that the starters all had (and seemed to make the most of) 2-1/2 to 3 quarters of play and tons of players were able to play an entire series or two. Win-win.

Pellini's arguments with the refs proves he is still stuck in the past, back when football was a contact sport...but so am I.

• Fire 2

I learned our three rb's, (4 if you count AT), have each a seperate skill set that will make the offense very versatile further down the road with B1G defenses.

Randy Gregory is reminiscent of a taller Demarcus Ware.

The defense showed fly around capabilities when playing with confidence.

Mohammed seisay is a big hit away from balling out and having the light fully come on.