What we learned today...

walksalone

I really like seeing the back ups in the game. It shows the staff is growing, gaining confidence in the kids, and that in turn gives the kids confidence in the staff. Work hard you get a chance.

Not sure if we are a lot better or Southern Miss was just a lot worse. But the kids came to play today and no one can be unhappy about that. I was very glad to see Kellog get some quality time playing. He has given this program a lot, great to see him have some real fun out there. Armstrong, a real difference maker I think.

Next week win or lose, who knows, but it does not hurt us on our goals.

Very glad to see three SEC teams with a loss. Dislike Miami, but really do not want the SEC to win it again.

Congrats kids and staff, fun game to watch.

Unfortunately, Santos may have been ruined mentally for a while being part of that mess a year ago.

I learned that unnecessary and illogical message board meltdowns can in fact provoke inspired performances.

Sure, that's why it happened. The holier than thou super fans are more annoying than the Debbie Downers.

It was unnecessary and illogical like I said. I tried to respond to some things last weekend with general perspective. I understand what folks are saying tonight. True is 100% correct. Cautious optimism. We did what we were supposed to do tonight, regardless who it was against. What went on here over the past week was asenine on numerous angles. It's not about holier than thou fans and debbie downers. It's about complete idiots and tools that were already writing of the entire season based on one game-or 7 sh**ty minutes. That's all.

• Fire 1

TM has been underwhelming.

????

32/45 (71.1%) 299 yards, 6 TD, 1 INT

He's been just fine, just not being asked to be superhuman.

I assume you are watching the games. He hasn't shown any of the burst that we all expect from him and has looked indecisive. He has looked worse than I expected him to. Underwhelming<disappointing fwiw. I am sure conservative play calling has a lot to do with it.

Just saying I was expecting Martinez to come out with guns blazing, being a 4 year starter and all. His performance has been exactly as you described it "just fine."

????

I assume you are watching the games. He hasn't shown any of the burst that we all expect from him and has looked indecisive. He has looked worse than I expected him to. Underwhelming<disappointing fwiw. I am sure conservative play calling has a lot to do with it.

Just saying I was expecting Martinez to come out with guns blazing, being a 4 year starter and all. His performance has been exactly as you described it "just fine."

He can prove everything next week. That is when we will need him.

????

He's fine.

Really.

He is.

????

I guess I don't know what exactly you're expecting. I think he looks just fine, as in, about what I've expected of him and am entirely pleased by.

I think part of it is that people still expect him to be a lightning rod while simultaneously wanting him to mature as a quarterback, and I don't think both of those are compatible. He's maturing, making smart decisions, even if they're not always decisive decisions, and managing the game well, spreading the wealth to his myriad of talented skill players.

Edit: Also, that scramble he had today was eerily similar to the championship game one, just not for 70+ yards.

????

I don't think you are viewing this with any reasonable perspective. 1-we know he had a bruised shoulder. It was apparent to me that he had been instructed to avoid contact. We've seen TM run like this before. For whatever reason he runs tentative when he wants to avoid contact. IMO no sense taking a shot against directional Mississippi when UCLA is next week. 2-He did show that burst last week. So not sure what you're alluding to. I find it encouraging and refreshing that it is not up to one guy to generate all of our offense. Personally, I think your comments are off base and uninformed, imo.

Since UCLA, almost every team has used a 3/4 wide set of WR's with a RB motioning out. So I'd like to thank Wyo and Southern Miss for giving our young defense plenty of experience against UCLA's arguably best set of plays used against us last year.

UCLA used very little of the pass to the back out of the backfield in its first game. What that means I do not know.