What we learned today...

walksalone

I learned that our offense is erratic even against a team like Southern Miss and I don't have any idea what Beck will call or what Martinez will do with it. It looks like our defense is young but starting to gel and understand how the pressure and coverage work together. The run defense was obviously much better but who knows what that means at this point? It looks like we have a lot of talent but I'm not sure if we'll know how to use it against the big boys. Next week is HUGE!

Didn't learn anything really. We played well like we should. Improvement all around and backups got solid pt. I'm not worried about next week. Win or lose the goal is to win the conference so I hope this ends up being a great test for the young defense. My hope is UCLA brings their A game so that we don't see a better offense for the rest of the season.

• Fire 1

1) I learned that Papuchis looks much less ghey without those goofy tape thingys on his fingers.

2) As for the game, I can't tell whether we played *that* much better this week. I think SoMiss just sucks donkey dicks.

3) Beer, rye and gin are damn potent taken together as an alcoholic team. I'm drunk as furck. :lol:

I think it's half and half. We played much better but Smith was really the big difference last week. That and his receivers actually could catch the damn ball for him.

I'll be happy when the defense can consistently follow a RB or a motion man running a crossing route.

That the BTN 2Go sucked. (thx for the link to get the video)

Bando can ball.

Gerry is a good one.

Zaire a huge upgrade.

SJB is a beast.

Newby appears to be the real deal.

Armstrong runs the O like NU QB's of old.

Beat a team solidly that we should have.

Loved DB (maybe Crouch) describing Martinez as a "crease QB". Great definition.

Defense seemed to play with some swagger.

We can actually make/create TO's.

Still have a ways to go.

Next week will tell the truth.

About 10 minutes after the game I got an email telling me two tickets for the UCLA game are mine, so I learned I'll be hoarse and a worn out old man after next week's game. Also, learned that the game next week seems to be shaping up to be pretty epic. Will be a great game to witness from the confines of Memorial Stadium. I love going to important games....a bit rough on the nerves, but it's what college athletics are all about as a fan.

Also learned that a lot of the young studs on D made very good progress this week. I know the Eagles are a dreadful football team, but you could see more confidence and swagger right from the get-go when the game was not decided. More fluid flow and just a better feel.

Learned our 2nd and 3rd team QBs would be capable fill-ins if called on.

Learned that no matter what kind of performance Taylor Martinez has, there will be haters.

Finally, despite the fact that clowns scare the bejeezus out of me, I agree with Husker-X.....can't jump under a bus because of week 1 and can't book tickets to the MNC game based on week 2.

!!!!!GO BIG RED!!!!!

• Fire 1

We learned that the stadium might have 4G, but 90,000 people using it still kills its speed.

This defense may get torched this year due to inexperience, but it won't be beaten due to lack of ability. They can fly, they are aggressive, and they may end up being pretty darned good.

The offense is weird. Mind-boggling three-and-out ineptness combined with surgical precision lightning-fast strikes. Jekyll & Hyde, indeed.

Frankly, I don't care if we win or lose against UCLA. This team is fun to watch.

• Fire 1

Also learned that Bo will play the backups when a game is in the bag. Lots of guys got some quality time and that is crucial in generating depth and prepping for the future.

I may be forgetting something but wasn't today pretty much the most play time we've had for subs in the past two seasons?

Beanmans TV needs a color setting adjustment cuz the new paint on the field looks to be an excellent bright red to me.

I should have clarified. Looks pinkish in the sunshine. Looks red under the lights. My TV is fine; everything else looks perfect.

I's just pullin your chain.........might be heat mirage. It was like 110 degrees on the turf.

Also learned that Bo will play the backups when a game is in the bag. Lots of guys got some quality time and that is crucial in generating depth and prepping for the future.

I may be forgetting something but wasn't today pretty much the most play time we've had for subs in the past two seasons?

Really enjoyed seeing the depth finally getting developed. I think it goes back to DB saying last week that Bo needs to get guys on film to see who "gets the scheme" and who doesn't and see why break downs are occurring. Like you, I can't remember Bo really ever playing back ups this soon in a contest and for this long. Goes a long way to making kids realize that they are all accountable for the product on the field and that a guy goes down, you might be needed. Shows some maturity from Bo, not really seen before.

Really enjoyed seeing the depth finally getting developed. I think it goes back to DB saying last week that Bo needs to get guys on film to see who "gets the scheme" and who doesn't and see why break downs are occurring. Like you, I can't remember Bo really ever playing back ups this soon in a contest and for this long. Goes a long way to making kids realize that they are all accountable for the product on the field and that a guy goes down, you might be needed. Shows some maturity from Bo, not really seen before.

Getting subs on the field...AND expecting them to perform and hold up their end of the deal. I remember "back in the day" when games got out of hand and we had 2nd, 3rd and 4th team players in on D...the crowd would go crazy for them to make a stop or keep an opponent out of the endzone as if the game depended on it. Kind of saw that today on the red-zone stand late in the game..and the young guys kept them out. Fun stuff for sure...and encouraging...