Fowler's take

I'll add in mine:

1 - I actually feel (a little) better after watching the game a second time. Most of the big defensive lapses were when we were so terribly mis-aligned that they couldn't help but run for a lot of yards. That is (hopefully) very fixable. Also, it still took way too long but we did adjust to how we were covering the motion out of the backfield that fixed it for the most part. That's why we had them slowed down - at least not scoring - from early in the second to late in the third. Probably my biggest gripe about Bo was that we wouldn't change our scheme if it wasn't working. Not that it fixed everything but we did make adjustments that helped. The other play they hurt us on was the dig route which they ran and completed often. However, we were covering the route fairly well as they didn't get basically any YAC - a vast improvement (albeit, possibly a drop is skill level) from Northwestern a couple years ago. Again, hopefully an alignment change will help prevent them from getting over the middle quite so easily.

2 - Jake Cotton really struggled. Moudy didn't get a lot of snaps but I didn't see him missing so much but wasn't dominant either. Many of the running plays that didn't work well were because Cotton missed blocks.

3 - Jake Long wasn't much better. We really miss Ben Cotton's blocking. Carter and Foster also struggled blocking but that's probably more expected from them. I'll cut Long some slack for now as he really only practiced this week but much of what we like to do is based on good edge blocking and we didn't get that.

4 - Mo Seisay isn't going to get there. Slowed by injuries last year but was looking for a breakout this year. Gerry was MUCH better. He still made some mistakes but also made several plays. I'd rather have some mistakes out of a Freshman than a Senior. Gerry should be on the field as much as possible - and he basically was, playing well over half the defensive snaps and on basically every special team.

5 - SJB was awesome. Coaches weren't lying on this one when they said he had been playing great.

6 - I have no problem admitting I was wrong about Cross. Really nice feet and just enough speed to really contribute. And still has power. Very nice.

7 - Valentine looked really good. Didn't make a lot of plays but was a force in the middle. Got a good push, even facing a lot of double-teams. Didn't notice during the game but watching it again he also made a great play sniffing out a bubble screen and making the receiver adjust enough for everyone else to close in and make the play. That was great.

8 - Disappointed in Santos. IIRC, the coaches said he was playing better because he was reacting and not thinking. Spent way too much time thinking. He was trying to play both runners on the zone read and then couldn't recover in time. They rarely blocked him, he just didn't get there. If he would have simply attacked hard at the running going to his side, he would have stuffed several more runs for no gain or a loss. Has to attack and let others do their jobs the other way. Perhaps that's why he's a more natural OLB where he has a little more time to diagnose they play.

9 - Would someone please kick off to Terrell Newby!

• Fire 2

I agree with a lot of what you said, Fowler. What pisses me off the most is it seemed like these coaches felt they could beat Wyoming with the absolute basics, and they clearly can't - or can, just barely.

We simply cannot take teams for granted, AT ALL. Not South Dakota State, not Wyoming, not anybody. We have to run our offense, every play in it, from day one. If future opponents get film on what we're doing, whatever. Throw the whole playbook at the non-con schedule and make future opponents practice for EVERYTHING.

We almost lost this game trying to be too secretive. It's going to cost Bo his job if he does this much more. It's just plain stupid.

• Fire 4

I agree with a lot of what you said, Fowler. What pisses me off the most is it seemed like these coaches felt they could beat Wyoming with the absolute basics, and they clearly can't - or can, just barely.

We simply cannot take teams for granted, AT ALL. Not South Dakota State, not Wyoming, not anybody. We have to run our offense, every play in it, from day one. If future opponents get film on what we're doing, whatever. Throw the whole playbook at the non-con schedule and make future opponents practice for EVERYTHING.

We almost lost this game trying to be too secretive. It's going to cost Bo his job if he does this much more. It's just plain stupid.

After watching the Wisconsin game, then the Nebraska game, it's really hard imagine why anyone would disagree with this.

Great post.

+1. Great write up. Lots of good points and we see eye to eye on a lot. I think your right about Smith. I did not hear about him having to be dragged off the field and the crying in the locker room but hell he had to have been crushed. That kid gave everything he had. That whole team did and I have to remember there are two teams out there, not just Nebraska in their failures but Wyoming was earning a lot of those successes.

I hope this UCLA game is at least respectable. Right now I don't have high hopes for that game but it's the only one I can think about for now. As a fan I can look past teams, but these players better put something on the field they can build upon starting Saturday against Southern Miss because the way I look at it, Southern Miss is a chance at a mulligan for this team to show how the season should have started.

Absolutely.

I fogot to add in there, that i think most of us are eating crow on Cross. I had to put some Franks red hot on mine but it went down good. His hesitancy was gone, looked quicker, faster and ran with a purpose. Glad to see his hard work paying off.

• Fire 1

Mav, while I'd like to say I told you so about Cross (and I shall at some point). It WAS Wyo. But I think he played about 100 times faster than he did last year, where you could tell he was hesitant. I think this is just one of many big games for him though and when he pounds a buck twenty on UCLA, I'll gladly toss you and EZ and all the other Cross "doubters" a polite 'told you so'. :wasted

Count me in as someone who has loved the way Cross runs since day 1. And it appears he has transformed into an every-down back instead of a short-yardage back. That's a great 1-2 punch with him and Ameer. And with Newby coming in as well, our run game is damn fun to watch.

About the post, I totally agree with Fowler. Bo gets so stubborn with his 2-high safety look, and it pisses me off. The reason he runs it is because he doesn't want to give up the big play. So instead, teams just nickel and dime us all the way down the field, and it's demoralizing. We have only 5 guys in the box sometimes. Then when Wyoming rolled their RB out in the slot, our LB followed him out, and Smith just shot right down the field. 20 yards easy.

Harvey Jackson has a long ways to go. He's just not all that fast, and I didn't see him take a good angle on a WR all game. Andrew Green wasn't any better. Hopefully CJax can make the mental jump, because his athleticism is needed at that spot.

One group that I probably saw more out of than I expected was the DL. In particular, our DEs looked pretty good. Gregory is all over the field. I love how he makes it all the way across the field after rushing the QB to make a play on a WR. The dude is big-time. Avery Moss gets really good penetration consistently. He's so big and athletic, and he makes it look easy to shed a Tackle and make his way into the backfield.

Maliek Collins had a play or two where he really caught my eye. As others have said, VV took on double teams all night. Curry looked good and hit hard when he got to the ball, and Maurice held his own inside as well. The future is bright for the DL.

I loved what I saw out of Cross and Newby, though the swing pass to Cross did have me scratching my head a bit (like Fowler said, that one was on Beck though). I don't think anyone's too concerned about our offense. The play calling didn't bother me much, it's what I would've expected given who we were facing. I just don't think Beck expected it to be as close as it was.