Way under the Radar

I am I

We weren't even mentioned until about halfway through the article, and when we were Wyo was mentioned along with us.

I know we have a lot to prove and anything outside of a win againt LA won't change that, it's as if we are definitely on the outside looking in when it comes to respect. Which I understand, but we have some bright spots that are being forgotten in league rundowns.

We HAVE to win this week to shake that monkey off our back: at home, ranked opponent, national TV, etc.

Teams we beat last year are getting more pub (NW, MSU), even in the B1G blog. Only PSU was more forgotten in this article.

http://m.espn.go.com/general/blogs/blogpost?blogname=ncfnation&id=82264

It's real easy for national writers to gloss over a team if said team isn't doing anything exciting, which Nebraska hasn't. We had a lackluster week one and did what we were supposed to do against an outmatched Southern Miss team. As you said I am I, win this weekend and not only does Nebraska get a monkey off it's back, but they cement themselves as the serious co-favorite to win the division along side Michigan. Maybe even favorite, since I think UCLA is a better team than the Notre Dame squad Michigan just beat.

This is why we're under the radar. The story on Nebraska is that we can't play defense. Here's the blurb about the UCLA game from Sports Illustrated:

UCLA at Nebraska, Saturday (Noon ET): The thought of quarterback Brett Hundley and that powerful UCLA offense going against Nebraska's woeful defense does not inspire much confidence in the Huskers. On the other hand, quarterback Taylor Martinez, running back Ameer Abdullah and company could well make the Bruins' defense look silly, too.

This is the hangover effect from the embarrassment of the 2012 Conference Championship game. That wretched performance is going to live with this team until they string together a few solid defensive performances against teams not suffering through double-digit losing streaks, and deservedly so.

The national college football writers especially have no reason to be magnanimous to Nebraska. They have to cover the entire Top 25, and any tertiary schools threatening to make a move to the Top 25. If they can dispense with one team for any reason they will - just one less team to have to worry about. If that team happens to do something interesting then they can become the "surprise" story, but otherwise they're going to get buried.

That's where we sit, and it's nobody's fault but ours. No sports writer wants to cover a major game like the 2012 CCG. Nobody wants to cover a team that gives up 600 yards to a team that went 4-8 the year before. Teams that do that become afterthoughts because the national writers can't sell that story to an audience jaded by SEC powerhouses.

• Fire 1

The great thing is that this game is the best morning game and most people will be watching it.

Also, this game will be at 9am for UCLA which can be difficult on teams to get in the right mindset that early. Nebraska coaches will probably keep everyone on their normal time.

Yes, I am sure that Jim Mora will have the following telephone conversation Saturday morning:

"Coach Mora, this is Bo Pellni. How come your team is not at the stadium?

Mora: "What do you mean."

Pelini: "Your game today with us. It starts in 15 minutes."

Mora: "What! Dang, I wish I had known that. We just assumed the game started at 12:30 p.m. Darn! Ok, We will be right there. You can start without us. We will be there at the end of the first quarter."

Pelini: "OK, See you then."

Mora: "Room Service? Cancel the 85 orders of Eggs Benedict, caviar and Dom Perignon."

It's real easy for national writers to gloss over a team if said team isn't doing anything exciting, which Nebraska hasn't. We had a lackluster week one and did what we were supposed to do against an outmatched Southern Miss team. As you said I am I, win this weekend and not only does Nebraska get a monkey off it's back, but they cement themselves as the serious co-favorite to win the division along side Michigan. Maybe even favorite, since I think UCLA is a better team than the Notre Dame squad Michigan just beat.

National writers pull their story from most of the local sources. All they saw from our hacks was Bo yells, fans hate him, he can't recruit, blah blah blah and that's what they pickup on an ran with. As a result the AD advised that Bo shut down the access (which he was all for) figuring no info was coming out was better than that bad pub made up by the OWH with an agenda. It doesn't matter who the coach is here, the OWH will be against them because that's what their consultants told them to do 5 yrs ago. They were told to go make a story rather than report a story and that people will tune in to negative news more often than positive ones.

National writers pull their story from most of the local sources. All they saw from our hacks was Bo yells, fans hate him, he can't recruit, blah blah blah and that's what they pickup on an ran with. As a result the AD advised that Bo shut down the access (which he was all for) figuring no info was coming out was better than that bad pub made up by the OWH with an agenda. It doesn't matter who the coach is here, the OWH will be against them because that's what their consultants told them to do 5 yrs ago. They were told to go make a story rather than report a story and that people will tune in to negative news more often than positive ones.

I'd imagine them being in serious financial trouble and not letting their employees sell their stock back had to play some sort of hand in this.