Is this a fair assessment of Nebraska?

ladyhawke

I've met a person from Omaha (at a game) once that had never heard of Hastings. I ask if he just moved to Nebraska. Nope been there all 40 some years of his life. Never heard of Hastings. Grand Island I ask? Nope. I just said, well Hastings is a nice little town about 6 miles east of Juniata. :D

More than once when I was at UNL someone asked me where I was from and I'd say western Nebraska. "Kearney?" Well, you're almost halfway there.

Dont confuse them with that western stuff. Cuz there is a town in eastern Nebraska called "Western".

What the hell. Who comes up with that stuff?

I've met a person from Omaha (at a game) once that had never heard of Hastings. I ask if he just moved to Nebraska. Nope been there all 40 some years of his life. Never heard of Hastings. Grand Island I ask? Nope. I just said, well Hastings is a nice little town about 6 miles east of Juniata. :D

More than once when I was at UNL someone asked me where I was from and I'd say western Nebraska. "Kearney?" Well, you're almost halfway there.

Sounds like you are both small-town hicks!!!! :lol: I can joke, my wife is from Hastings.

lol @ where this thread has gone. didn't really wanna go there but since everyone is gonna defend it.......

If you don't know the general area of where a state is [if you are american] in the United States then you are stupid. Ignorant and Stupid. We're seriously talking 5th and 6th grade stuff here.... and we're not talking about a random american, we're talking about a college student. Let's say you have a tough time pointing out exactly where Delware is in the upper northeast.. Sure. Connecticut? Understandable. But a state like Nebraska, Kansas, Iowa, Colorado, Wyoming in the middle of the country with as much area as any of those states occupy.... there is no excuse. I get it... nothing going on here, theres no reason why they would know of it outside of school. But you still gotta own the ignorant and stupid tag to go with it. I'm not judging, and i'm sure these people may be very knowledgeable in other areas... but not knowing where the 50 states are is flat out stupidity. Fact.

• Fire 2

lol @ where this thread has gone. didn't really wanna go there but since everyone is gonna defend it.......

If you don't know the general area of where a state is [if you are american] in the United States then you are stupid. Ignorant and Stupid. We're seriously talking 5th and 6th grade stuff here.... and we're not talking about a random american, we're talking about a college student. Let's say you have a tough time pointing out exactly where Delware is in the upper northwest.. Sure. Connecticut? Understandable. But a state like Nebraska, Kansas, Iowa, Colorado, Wyoming in the middle of the country with as much area as any of those states occupy.... there is no excuse. I get it... nothing going on here, theres no reason why they would know of it outside of school. But you still gotta own the ignorant and stupid tag to go with it. I'm not judging, and i'm sure these people may be very knowledgeable in other areas... but not knowing where the 50 states are is flat out stupidity. Fact.

joker-clapping.gif

If you don't know the general area of where a state is [if you are american] in the United States then you are stupid. Ignorant and Stupid. We're seriously talking 5th and 6th grade stuff here.... and we're not talking about a random american, we're talking about a college student. Let's say you have a tough time pointing out exactly where Delware is in the upper northwest.. Sure. Connecticut? Understandable. But a state like Nebraska, Kansas, Iowa, Colorado, Wyoming in the middle of the country with as much area as any of those states occupy.... there is no excuse. I get it... nothing going on here, theres no reason why they would know of it outside of school. But you still gotta own the ignorant and stupid tag to go with it. I'm not judging, and i'm sure these people may be very knowledgeable in other areas... but not knowing where the 50 states are is flat out stupidity. Fact.

You're quite ignorant of what the word 'stupid' actually means.

inconceivable.jpg

Perhaps Ankrah's comment was a little bit tongue in cheek?

Or he simply didn't know where Nebraska is, just like millions of Americans.

I am a Steelers fan. I worked with a guy (living in Minnesota) that thought Nebraska bordered Pennsylvania. Not joking. We have very uneducated people in this country.

uneducated or stupid

Why would it make you stupid not knowing where a state is? Are human beings supposed to be born with an innate ability to cognitively perceive government-determined boundaries of land?

Hey, stay away from those psychology words unless you're going to use them right! ;)

If you don't know the general area of where a state is [if you are american] in the United States then you are stupid. Ignorant and Stupid. We're seriously talking 5th and 6th grade stuff here.... and we're not talking about a random american, we're talking about a college student. Let's say you have a tough time pointing out exactly where Delware is in the upper northeast.. Sure. Connecticut? Understandable. But a state like Nebraska, Kansas, Iowa, Colorado, Wyoming in the middle of the country with as much area as any of those states occupy.... there is no excuse. I get it... nothing going on here, theres no reason why they would know of it outside of school. But you still gotta own the ignorant and stupid tag to go with it. I'm not judging, and i'm sure these people may be very knowledgeable in other areas... but not knowing where the 50 states are is flat out stupidity. Fact.

I agree with this. My 4 year old already knows where most of the states are and can identify them by shape, thanks to a puzzle we have. I know not everyone has the same access to educational opportunity, or puzzles, in this country, but this is basic stuff.

I agree with this. My 4 year old already knows where most of the states are and can identify them by shape, thanks to a puzzle we have. I know not everyone has the same access to educational opportunity, or puzzles, in this country, but this is basic stuff.

He probably knows them better than you do, and/or will forget a lot of that knowledge as he gets older and isn't constantly re-taught it.

I used to know the capitol city of every state and all 54 countries in Africa - I'd be lucky to name half of each of them now.

I just think it's funny that so many on here are so quick to point and laugh at the ignorance of others not realizing that there's other people, especially outside of the country, that think the exact same things about you.

• Fire 2